Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 8:38:39 AM EDT
I need a squirrel killer.  I currently have a old pump up style bb/pellet that isn't cutting it.  I also have a Drozd but I don't want to scare the neighbor kids when I'm shooting squirrels full auto.  

I'd like something accurate, scoped and can consistently give me 1 shot headshot kills up to 30 yards out/up.  I know nothing about quality pellet guns, but this one looks interesting.  It's also rated at 1,000 fps.  I think my drozd only does about 400fps and the pump up might hit 600 or so.   Is 1,000fps realistic for these guns and would a hollow point pellet be best?  Would it expand at 1,000fps?

Here's what I'm looking at.

"""Gamo Hunter 890 Air Rifle with Scope
Reg. $264.99......Sale $209.99
This is an adult-sized rifle that fires a .177-caliber pellet at a blazing 1,000 feet-per-second. It boasts a barrel-cocking design with a sleek muzzle brake that doubles as a practical handle for cocking. The Gamo® Hunter 890 also has a two-stage adjustable trigger and a manual safety. It also has a walnut-stained Monte Carlo hardwood stock with cheekpiece and recoil pad. No sights are included because the rifle is designed for scope mounting. Comes with BSA
3-12 x 50mm scope that has target turrets and an adjustable objective. Scope rings are included.
Length: 44.3"
Weight: 7.5 lbs. 38-lb. cocking effort."""

It also comes with the BSA scope.  I assume this scope is ok for the recoil of a pellet gun.  I know they can mess up centerfire scopes.  Also is 12x a little overkill for a pellet gun?  How far out can you hit something accurately?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
the Gamo rifles are a great deal for the money.  get good pellets and zero it well and you'll be the angel of death for all tree rats within 50 yards of your home
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
It works for my dad.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Good pellet gun.

Winchester 1000fps should sell for a little over $100
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
another easy method, that is cheap

go get the REAL big mouse traps, put them up on a branch with some peanut butter on the trip. if these traps will kill large rats i am sure they would take out tree rats, at a cost of about 10 bucks for a few.

i know its wont be as much fun as a pellet rifle

my other suggestion would be some cb's out of a 22 that likes them, they are quieter than any pellet rifle, my 22 will do dime size groups at 25 yars with cb's
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a .22 buy some Kolabri ammo. 500 FPS. QUIET. If not, we have a .17 Gamo and it kicks ass at the distances you are talking about. The scope is to assure that you get a good head or vitals shot.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a RWS.  Much better.  They are made in Germany, wheras i think the Gamos are made in China.  I could be wrong.  I've had kills out to 65 yards

ETA link:

RWS Pellet gun
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a .22 cal BSA for tree rats. It was loud and tree rats could detect me cocking the thing. Sold it. Got an LRM Vidar 77/22. Now I often get 2 at a time.  Waaaay better than an air rifle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want to spend $200 bucks, Gamo has the NRA Special Edition here...

www.gamo-airguns.com/nra-flyer.html

www.gamousaonline.com/shopexd.asp?id=159
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get a RWS.  Much better.  They are made in Germany, wheras i think the Gamos are made in China.  I could be wrong.  I've had kills out to 65 yards

ETA link:

RWS Pellet gun

I thought they were made in Spain?  Anyway, I've got the Winchester 1000x, it's a handy little bugger.  BSA 4x32 scope and it'll pop bottlecaps out to 50 yards.  So far I think I've dropped 8 squirrels with it, all head shots.  That's what they get for raiding the bird feeder.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you have a .22 buy some Kolabri ammo. 500 FPS. QUIET. If not, we have a .17 Gamo and it kicks ass at the distances you are talking about. The scope is to assure that you get a good head or vitals shot.

I do have the colbri as well as CB shorts and longs.  I have had no problems with the CB's but the colbri's have had one get stuck in the barrel of my marlin 81-dl.  Also I don't want to take any chances getting in trouble using a "firearm" over a pellet gun if that ever did happen.  I think if a po'd neighbor called the police and they caught me shooting a .22 caliber rifle I'd be in more trouble where as if I was just shooting a pellet gun,  even though the pellet gun shoots at a higher velocity.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a chinese air rifle in a 22 calibur shoot at 650 FPS it packs a pretty good punch and the penetration is ideal. I hit a pigeon way out there and it dropped instantly!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Any gun with a barrel-cocking mechanism will wear out and lose accuracy after a while.

Get a side-cocker.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Any gun with a barrel-cocking mechanism will wear out and lose accuracy after a while.

Get a side-cocker.

Hummmmmm........ I better tell that to my Beeman R1. It's about half way into its third case of Pellets. At 25,000 per case, thats alot of shooting. Still crono's just over 900 fps. with an 8.7 gr. pellet. I will be doing a seal job on it this winter. Oh, sub 1" groups at 50 yds. are no problem.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Beeman 1000 fps .17 pellet rifle.  To answer your questions:

Yes it will do a fine job taking care of squirrels.

A 12X scope is not overkill on a good air rifle.

Yes hollowpoint pellets will expand, at least the Beeman HP's I use do.

I have never owned a Gammo air rifle so I can't answer that one.

One thing you should know is that it will be a lot louder than you are expecting.  Mine has a report almost as loud as a .22 lr.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Barrel-cockers don't lose accuracy, if they are built well. At least--eventually they will, but it takes a looooooong time, and a lot of shooting.  

I would caution you--the cheaper higher-velocity spring-piston guns vibrate a lot when fired, and often have accuracy problems because of it.

If I had to pick one, I'd get the Weihrauch HW-50S, at around $300. The .177-cal is rated at 625 FPS. It comes with target diopter sights and will have a good trigger on it.
~
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#16]
My neighbor has a Winchester 1000x.  Freakin 20lb trigger that creeps and creeps and creeps.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#17]
How loud are the ones that shoot 1,000fps?  I also forgot I have a cheap crossman barrel cocking that shoots in the 500fps range but lacks any real punch.  What I really don't want to have is any follow up shots because by the time I recock and reload the squirrel's either jumped to another tree or hid itself pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Get one of these, and you dont need no pellet gun....

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Check out this months NRA Freedom Mag. They have a commemorative Gamo 1000FPS with scope for $199.99 plus shipping. I do not rember the exact shipping amount but it was very reasonable.

I purchased a Gamo Shadow from Walmart for 200.00.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Check out this months NRA Freedom Mag. They have a commemorative Gamo 1000FPS with scope for $199.99 plus shipping. I do not rember the exact shipping amount but it was very reasonable.

I purchased a Gamo Shadow from Walmart for 200.00.

Hmmmm...where have I seen that?...

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Wal-Mart has the Gamo Shadow 1000 rifle for $150.  I have one and love it, it has a synthetic stock and shoots 1000fps.  I have killed hundreds and hundreds of birds with it and have never had a problem.  It's also very accurate.

Abe
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Wal-Mart has the Gamo Shadow 1000 rifle for $150.  I have one and love it, it has a synthetic stock and shoots 1000fps.  I have killed hundreds and hundreds of birds with it and have never had a problem.  It's also very accurate.

Abe

I've also seen that up there, but since this one comes with a scope and rings for only $60 more I'll probably pick it up.  Can they boresight it for me in the store?  I also like the look of the wood stock on the one from Cabelas.   The closest airgun scope they had for it was around $99 bucks.  Plus rings would probably run me another $20. So I'll just look at it as the gun itself only costs $110.  Not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Can someone tell me how loud these will be?  I know my spring cocking one I have now is much more quiet than the drozd or the hand pump air rifle I have.  Will it be louder than a CB cap or pretty much equal?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Also is dry firing these things bad?  I kinda wanna dry fire it at Cabelas to get a feel for the trigger? Can you do trigger jobs on these guns?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Found some more info. It is NOT made in CHINA.  

Model: Gamo Hunter 890S Combo
Caliber: .22 Pellet Velocity: 750 fps
Caliber: .177 Pellet Velocity: 1000 fps
Weight: 7.5 lbs
Overall Length: 44.3
Cocking Effort: 38 lbs
Action: Single Shot,
Break Barrel Cocking, Spring Piston
Made in: Spain
Barrel: Blue Plated Receiver
Precision Rifled Steel Barrel / Finish: Blued
Stock: Raised Monte Carlo Cheekpiece
Laser Carved Checkering
Front Sight: No Muzzlebrake
Scope Rail: 11 mm
Stock: Beech Hardwood
Trigger Pull: 4.18 lbs
Trigger: Two-Stage Trigger-First Stage Adjustable
Safety: Manual
Buttplate: Ventilated Rubber with White Line Space
Included: BSA 3-12x40mm Air Rifle Scope
1" Rings / Shipped Unassembled
Usage : Small Game/ Hunting / Target Practice
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Also is dry firing these things bad?  I kinda wanna dry fire it at Cabelas to get a feel for the trigger? Can you do trigger jobs on these guns?

Dry firing spring guns like the one you are looking at is very bad.  Even one time can damage it.  I don't know about the trigger job question, but I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dry firing spring guns like the one you are looking at is very bad.  Even one time can damage it.  I don't know about the trigger job question, but I highly doubt it.

+1  Absolutely, positively do not dry fire a high velocity spring air rifle.  It will destroy itself.  These rifles will last seemingly forever with a minimal amount of maintenance, but dry firing is the worst thing you can do.  Don't do it.  

On a side note, squirrel hunting with an air rifle is one of the most pleasurable forms of hunting around.  Quiet, cheap, can be done anywhere (including out of a window in suburbia).  I've never had a problem humanely killing a squirrel with a .177 or .20 air rifle with iron sights, out to about 30 yards.  Much more fun than deer hunting.  Minimal meat damage as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Absolutely, positively do not dry fire a high velocity spring air rifle.  It will destroy itself.  These rifles will last seemingly forever with a minimal amount of maintenance, but dry firing is the worst thing you can do.  Don't do it.  

On a side note, squirrel hunting with an air rifle is one of the most pleasurable forms of hunting around.  Quiet, cheap, can be done anywhere (including out of a window in suburbia).  I've never had a problem humanely killing a squirrel with a .177 or .20 air rifle with iron sights, out to about 30 yards.  Much more fun than deer hunting.  Minimal meat damage as well.

Yeah, I won't dry fire.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Come to speak of it when I was at Cabelas last, the manager yelled at an employee for it.  I just figured it was for safety, not that it actually damaged the gun.  

Out of my backyard I mostly shoot starlings.  Nothin beats coming home from work and tossing out a couple handfulls of birdseed or dog food, grabbing a beer (it's a pellet gun, not a firearm ) and sitting inside my sliding glass window popping those little black crap everywhere birds.  

My girlfriend has 4-5 oak trees in her yard and her neighbors yards are also littered with the oaks, and the squirrels.  I throw out some feed corn to attract them but then run them up the tree before I make my shot.  

Unlike a .22 or a centerfire, I'm not overly concerned with making tree shots and missing. But with a quality gun such as the one I'm going to look at, expecially with that power scope makes it seem unlikely I'm going to be missing much more often.

The RWS's do look great, but a little out of my budget.  Hell, the gamo is too, I just cashed in $140 in change today to help justify buying it.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#31]
UPDATE:  I got this instead:

Holy crap this thing's built better than all my C&R guns.  By far one of the best quality 'pellet' guns I've had my hands on.  I got some of the polymer tipped hollow points and was getting about 500 pages through the yellow pages.  

Here's what they look like:

But this little rifle's somethin else.  They were out of the Gamo's so he opened up the RWS and I just had to have it.  It was only about $40 more but I think in the long run will be worth it.  The two stage trigger's pretty neat, and the open sights are nice too.  I have the scope but didn't get a chance to mount it.  It's of good quality, very bright and clear.  

Can't wait to get out this weekend and get some squirrels.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Gamo makes great air rifles, I usually buy Gamos, also RWS Diana. What a lot of people don't realize is that at 1000 fps, light pellets start to vibrate so to compensate use a heavy grain .177 pellet. This slows down the pellet a bit but you won't lose any knock down (F=MXA), but you will gain accuracy. This is probably just me but I find that the heavy ones also drops tree rats a lot better, if they do get up, they are moving real slooooooooooooow.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yep, very bad, main spring can crack as can the piston.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn you guys.  Now I'm pricing pellet guns.  Those pellets shore 'nuff look sweet.  We want a range report.  I like short, steccato sentences.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top