Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/9/2011 6:12:08 PM EDT
Right after asking if he rides in a child seat in the back, and before asking if he still takes a bottle.

I just answered ten other questions with yes or no, kind of a bad time to say "I don't want answer that question."

I suppose next time I'll just say "he's allowed all his constitutional protections in our house. "
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Proper answer

FUCK YOU
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Should of said, "Yes.  I intend for him to be a man when he grows up."  
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell him that you live in a free gun home.  When your kid gets old enough they get a free gun!

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Answering "None of your business" always seemed like an opportunity missed in saying something positive about why the child is better off in a house with guns.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have only had one doctor ask this and I just said No and let it be and never went back.  In today's world, I would probably tell them guns are icky and then go to a different pediatrician.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Just tell him you ain't gonna raise him to be a Kansas City faggot!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It's okay to lie to doctors.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Tell him that you live in a free gun home. When your kid gets old enough they get a free gun!

Well played!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure they ask that because of lead. Don't be so sensitive
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the doc have a pool?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Proper answer

FUCK YOU

Or, wheather he does or not is really none of your concern, and has nothing to do whit how I raise my child.

I like Brownie63s reply too. FUCK EM.......FUCK EM ALL!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
They don't ask that shit around here. I talk guns with my doctor.

My best friends daughter loved guns too, he was that doctor that got caught with over 100 full auto weapons and a bunch of grenades

She said whenever she'd go to there he would have SOF and other gun rags in the waiting room instead of the usual lame magazines.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's not because of lead.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. Lead contamination and hearing loss will be used to regulate firearms. Mark my words.

Edit: regulate may be to strong a word.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Does your kid live around eletrical outlets, standing bodes of water more than an inch deep, cleaning products, pets, allergens, mold, in an area with storms, stairs, under a flight path, etc, etc, etc, etc
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
The proper answer is "No, we don't own guns"

It keeps you off the list they are compiling and skews their data collection.  

Then go buy another gun just to spite them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Lead contamination and hearing loss will be used to regulate firearms. Mark my words.

Great reason to de-regulate silencers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#19]
No, my child lives in a home with firearms, where firearm safety is paramount and non-negotiable. He will also enjoy freedom of speech and religion. Anything else?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.
Dont be so uptight. You are trusting this man with the welfare and health of your child.
He is not trying to infringe upon your rights. Just to see his exposure to toxins.
Tell him you reload so there lots of lead, mercury and arsenic around  
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I know a pediatrician who teaches the parents of his patients the 4 commandments of gun safety.

Of course, this is Kansas where even pediatricians love to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, it has nothing to do with lead in my experience.  Some health groups require the question to make sure the child isn't "at risk for violence."  The docs I know who ask it use it as an opportunity to discuss proper gun safety and storage rather than to disparage gun ownership (which I believe is the intent of the question).  Good for them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that you mention it, they did ask when our house was built, if we remodeled recently, and if he has been around anyone with lead poisoning, but I think these were all separate from the gun question. Can't remember exactly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Answering "None of your business" always seemed like an opportunity missed in saying something positive about why the child is better off in a house with guns.

Highly educated + anti-gun doctor is going to look at you like you are a 5 year old trying to tell their parents why they should be able to stay up all night eating candy bars and watching spongebob DVDs.  

The TLDR of that is no matter how logical your argument is.  He isn't going to be impressed or listening.

The smart man plays dumb in this case.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I run into my Doc at gunshows and gunshops quite often.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Shit, my peds doc asked this question once as well (in Colorado).  After i laughed, I said its quite the opposite.  As a matter of fact, I have guns in every room of the house.  I already built her an evil assualt rifle and i have a pic of her on my phone with my 1911.  

I'm sick of the liberal BS.  I am an American, I am a gun owner, and I'm proud of it.  My kids are raised in the gun culture, and are well acquinted with firearms.  

On a side note, I was in Maryland last year talking hunting to a co-worker (who resides in MD) and he somehow transitioned into how the gunshow loophole is the reason why bad people have guns and if we closed teh gunshow loophole, there wouldn't be anymore shootings.  After I laughed out loud, I told him the only thing going to stop criminals from shooting innocent people is MORE GUNS!!  If more peple carried guns, when the crazies start shooting, we could shoot back and kill the POS before he did any harm.  The guy slowly eased away from me and didnt talk to me the rest of the week.  And the guys a retired infantry Colonel.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#27]
You should of been like "gun free?" " I mean, he's getting a free gun when he turns one, if that's what you mean."
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#28]
None of his fucking business.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Heavens no...and we stifle his right to free speech as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that you mention it, they did ask when our house was built, if we remodeled recently, and if he has been around anyone with lead poisoning, but I think these were all separate from the gun question. Can't remember exactly.
It was a different line of questioning, I got the same bullshit do you have guns question from my kids doc. The answer is no I don't, which is the same answer I would tell anyone else who asks.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#31]
If my doc asks about guns he's asking if I have any new ones.    My doctor has almost as many guns as I do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, this has been a crusade anti gun doctors started in the past few years  

^This^

My kid's pediatrician asked me if there were guns in the home and he already knew what I did for a living, LEO, which I looked at him like he was stupid and answered of course there are, it kinda is a job requirement for me. I did assure him that the guns were secured, which seemed to make him feel better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#33]
What happens if you answer yes?  Nothing.

What happens if you answer no?  Nothing.

What happens if you answer "None of your business?"  Nothing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#34]
My answer would have been, "Hell no, I'm a responsible parent and I protect my children from people that would harm them."
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They ask that because the AMA has a hard-on for gun hate.  You know, to protect the children.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#36]
a fuck you I need a new doctor is in order
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep... free gun when he's of age
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: regulate may be to strong a word.

If your doctor is stupid enough to believe that jacketed bullets (or un-jacketed for that matter) have any role in lead absorption in a child you should run, not fucking walk out of that office.

It has precicely dick, zilch, nothing, zero, nada, to do with lead.  It has everything to do with convincing gullible mommies that dad's revolver is a menace to the home.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I have long wanted to know how the answer to that question effects the way a pediatrician treats children? Why do the believe it to be their business?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#41]
i enrolled my kid in school today, and did 20 pages of paperwork. i was waiting for the gun question. it never came up. i was ready for it.

do you have firearms in your house?      FUCK YEAH! !
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#42]
My answer is the same to the people who call when some bill is 45 seconds late and they want personal information
That's none of your business.  If  they ask again....its none of your fucking business.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#43]
All of the doctors around here used to hunt. One of them worked with the school and he and a lot of the students used to bring their new guns to school after Christmas to see what everybody got. Small southern town. 1980s. I had one doctor ask me that about my son in the 90s in a different town. I asked him if he liked to shoot. He said no. I said, well, we'll be leaving then.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They don't ask that shit around here. I talk guns with my doctor.

My best friends daughter loved guns too, he was that doctor that got caught with over 100 full auto weapons and a bunch of grenades

She said whenever she'd go to there he would have SOF and other gun rags in the waiting room instead of the usual lame magazines.

+1
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That is actually pretty ignorant, the AMA is very anti gun.  The doc is trying to get a chance to preach to you that guns are bad and that guns kill little children for fun.  My doc asked me that and I told her it was none of her damn business.  I was also prepared because the NRA warns you about doctors asking those questions.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Did you answer yes or no?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The proper answer is "No, we don't own guns"

It keeps you off the list they are compiling and skews their data collection.  

Then go buy another gun just to spite them.

One of the few correct answers.

When you refuse to answer or choose to provide a provocative/sarcastic response - the Doc can just note in the record that you probably own and possess guns in the home.  Your insurer has access to that data.

Shall I explain further how you guys are potentially hamstringing yourself for the future with smartass answers?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Should have responded with a question - "Can you recommend a good pediatrician?"
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why don't they ask if you live in a house built prior to 1978? You will find more lead on the walls of an older house than you will in most gunsafes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top