Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 7:34:26 PM EDT
www.jsonline.com/news/metro/may04/228797.asp

Pearl mourns for Berg's family
Slain reporter's widow tells crowd: 'Violence doesn't end violence'
By MEG JONES
[email protected]
Posted: May 11, 2004
As the video images of American civilian contractor Nick Berg being beheaded in Iraq were broadcast Tuesday, Mariane Pearl's thoughts were of Berg's family.

War In Iraq

Related Coverage

Iraq: American beheaded on video
U.S. forces: Mosque hit in biggest assault against cleric's militia
General: Account puts decision-making at higher levels
Abuse: Soldier following orders, lawyer says
Churches: Association faults U.S. policy in Iraq
Pearl: Slain reporter's widow mourns for Berg's family
Wisconsin: Lawmakers pay tribute to fallen soldiers
Editorial: The other prison pictures
Update: Latest from the AP
Video: TMJ4 report

Pearl knows what his mother is going through - Pearl's husband, Daniel, a journalist abducted in Pakistan in 2002, was slain in the same vivid, public way.

"It's a horrendous murder similar to the one Danny went through, and proof that violence leads to violence," Mariane Pearl told an audience at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts Tuesday night. "This cycle of violence is not likely to end."

Berg, 26, a Philadelphia native, is seen on the video saying the names of his mother and father and sitting on a floor in front of masked kidnappers. One of the kidnappers then takes out a knife and kills Berg.

The gruesome images bear an eerie resemblance to a videotape showing the beheading of Daniel Pearl, a Wall Street Journal reporter. But the urge to take revenge on the murderers, his widow said, must be resisted.

"Those who killed Danny and those who killed Nicholas Berg are despicable people but violence doesn't end violence," Pearl said.

Pearl, 36, who published a book in September about her ordeal, "A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband," spoke as part of the "From the Heart" lecture series.

Daniel Pearl, 38, disappeared in Karachi, Pakistan, on Jan. 23, 2002, while researching an article about Islamic extremism and "shoe bombing" suspect Richard Reid. Based in India, he was the The Wall Street Journal's South Asia bureau chief.

Several weeks later, a videotape was released to U.S. diplomats that showed Pearl's beheading at the hands of a man investigators believe was Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 hijackings.

In photos released by the kidnappers, Pearl said she could see her husband smiling and giving the "V for victory" sign.

"You can take somebody's life, but you can't take their strong spirit - and that's what the terrorists want - to take our strong spirit," she said.

Her husband was supposed to return home at 9 p.m. on the day he scheduled a meeting with Reid's spiritual adviser for his story. But when he didn't return, she tried calling his cell phone and learned his phone was out of range.

She immediately knew something was terribly wrong because he would always call her and let her know when he was traveling out of range.

"We knew it was al-Qaida. We knew it was the people who sent planes into the World Trade Center. We knew they were people who did not have pity," she said.

But she said she remained calm because she knew her husband was calm throughout his ordeal and she didn't want the kidnappers to break her spirit, just as they could not break his spirit.

"I was so determined to not let them win even if they were going to take our lives," she said.

Mariane Pearl was a French freelance journalist when she married her husband in 1999. Two days before the kidnapping, they learned she was carrying a boy. Three months after Daniel Pearl was killed, she gave birth to their son, Adam.

From the May 12, 2004 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Ahhhh...............I figured it out after reading the article.  She's French!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

'Violence doesn't end violence'

BULLSHIT.

"It's a horrendous murder similar to the one Danny went through, and proof that violence leads to violence," Mariane Pearl told an audience at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts Tuesday night.    "This cycle of violence is not likely to end."  

Until our extreme violence in response to their attack on us brings them to their knees.  And if they get up, we WILL bring them to their knees again.   And we MUST repeat as necessary, 'till they beg our mercy.  

Berg, 26, a Philadelphia native, is seen on the video saying the names of his mother and father and sitting on a floor in front of masked kidnappers. One of the kidnappers then takes out a knife and kills Berg.

The gruesome images bear an eerie resemblance to a videotape showing the beheading of Daniel Pearl, a Wall Street Journal reporter.

But the urge to take revenge on the murderers, his widow said, must be resisted.

"Those who killed Danny and those who killed Nicholas Berg are despicable people but violence doesn't end violence," Pearl said.  

She's absolutely right.  We must immediately pass around the flowers and begin to sing in unison, 'Kum ba ya my Allah, Kum ba ya...""

Several weeks later, a videotape was released to U.S. diplomats that showed Pearl's beheading at the hands of a man investigators believe was Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 hijackings.

"You can take somebody's life, but you can't take their strong spirit - and that's what the terrorists want - to take our strong spirit," she said.  

Irrational statement from someone who loves a ghost.  

"We knew it was al-Qaida. We knew it was the people who sent planes into the World Trade Center. We knew they were people who did not have pity," she said.

But she said she remained calm because she knew her husband was calm throughout his ordeal and she didn't want the kidnappers to break her spirit, just as they could not break his spirit."

No, they just made him dead.  His spirit is REALLY calm now.  

"I was so determined to not let them win even if they were going to take our lives," she said.
Mariane Pearl was a French freelance journalist .....

You poor, suffering, ignorant, .....

If they take your life, THEY HAVE WON!!!    AAAAGGGGHHHH!!

Ahhhh...............I figured it out after reading the article.  She's French!

She's French!      

Ditto that.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
waste of O2
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Its sad how stupid people can be. So lets see im being attacked by a wild animal I should just sit there because violence is bad?  Riiiigggghhht.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]

"Violence leads to violence" - So what "violence" did her husband do that begat the violence inflicted on him?????

What a paper-thin cortex she must have.

She's French AND she's a journalist? Dayum - and all this time I thought "Moron", "Imbecile" and "Idiot" were the bottom of the human intellect scale. I guess "French Journalist" is the new low mark on the IQ charts.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It's becoming painfully clear to me that a lot of people, mainly liberals, would rather die a violent death than stand up for themselves simply to justify their empty ideologies.  Just like that hummingbird girl from the Krogers thread.  She'd rather be raped and probably murdered than defend herself?!?!  Sad, pretty damn sad to say the least.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Violence doesn't end violence.....

So what does end it? Appeasement?

what a dingbat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Mrs. Pearl apparently beleves Zombie movies are documentaries.

In the real world dead people cannot come back and attack you a second time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Try not to be too harsh in judging the opinions of people who have experienced severe trauma.  They frequently are wrong, but you need to have a little appreciation of where they're coming from.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Try not to be too harsh in judging the opinions of people who have experienced severe trauma.  They frequently are wrong, but you need to have a little appreciation of where they're coming from.

If somebody I loved were hacked to death I would be crying out for swift and violent revenge. I know this as I know the sun will rise tomorrow. This woman is a feeble minded pacifist and illustrates that some people will not change their simple minded view of things no matter what happens.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#17]

'Violence doesn't end violence'

Reason number 99999 why women shouldn't vote. When someone offers you violence, you return it in spades. As long as there is evil in the world, violence is the only way to deal with it. Hard, cold fact of human existence.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#18]
It's easy for her to spew that liberal filth now.  I bet her mental state at the time of her husband's death was far different than it is now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yikes! If anyone saws off my head please be sure to tell the media I said I wanted every last one of them shot full of holes.

+1
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#21]
The only thing these goons understand IS violence and the only way to meet violence is with Ultra Violence. Do something so hideous, horrible and shocking that even the assailant recoils in horror and runs with their tails between their legs.

While I am deeply sorry for Mrs Pearl's loss, it doesn't surprise me coming from someone so deeply imbedded in the left-wing extremist media.

edited to add: If I were ever captured, please consider me to be dead. And I would want my murderers hunted down like the mongrel dogs they are and killed in a manner more horrific than what they did to me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The enemy that will die for their cause will defeat us who will not kill for our survival.

Excellent saying and true!  Did you make that up?

That article is just pathetic...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I think you guys are getting a little too bent out of shape about all of this.  When you say that if someone you loved were murdered you would be screaming for vengence, keep in mind that you are all guys.  This is a normal male reaction.  But women just don't typically react this way all the time.  They're "hardwired" differently.  I've seen time and time again on news casts following court cases where a mother or sister or even wife just can't bring herself to endorse a death penalty verdict for the murder of one of their loved ones.  I'm not saying that they all react this way all the time, but lots of them do react this way enough of the time.  It ain't anything to get all upset about.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm pretty sure she phoned the terrorists and surrendered to them, aswell as hitting the big, pink, univerals SURRENDER button on her phone.

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top