Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2001 6:22:14 PM EDT
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,25444,00.html[/url]

Scroll down.  It is after the Michael Jackson Article.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
How much more obvious can Bay and Bruckheimer get... Hmm, Titanic had a romantic pop song so why don't we use that. Then find an historical event, preferrably one with a sinking ship somewhere, and slap a lover triangle over that (something for the girls)... Now what else are we missing? Effects! Lots and lots of special effects, and guns (for the boys)... Wait a minute, we're missing something... Oh yes, we need a script. Let's get a respectable writer and keep flashing his name while we promote, I mean we wouldn't want people to think this is some hollow manufactured Hollywood epic now would we?... So there we have it. I think we can make around... oh lets' say 2 billion? Titanic made less than that but we've got it bigger... Disney, we have a winner!... Pearl Harbour has nothing do with Titanic (film wise)? Gimme a break.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
This goes along with another remark from another news station on how awful it was.  For me, I am personally not giving Alec Baldwin on red cent.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Roger Ebert just reviewed it.  I love Ebert's reviews - usually if he likes it, I like it.

Here's the opening paragraph:
"Pearl Harbor" is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle. Its centerpiece is 40 minutes of redundant special effects, surrounded by a love story of stunning banality. The film has been directed without grace, vision or originality, and although you may walk out quoting lines of dialogue, it will not be because you admire them.
View Quote

Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle?  Jimmy must be spinning in his grave!

I'm not going to watch this one even on video.

Looks like Shrek will be the next film I pay $$ to see.

(edit)

Somebody asked about Cuba Gooding Jr.'s part -
Another hero in the movie is the African-American cook Dorie Miller (Cuba Gooding Jr.), who because of his race was not allowed to touch a gun in the racist pre-war Navy, but opens fire during the raid and shoots down two planes. He's shown getting a medal; in real life, he died later in the war, and the Navy was none too swift to part with its medal even posthumously.
View Quote
 Yeah, that's about what I figured.

[sniper]

Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Roger Ebert just reviewed it.  I love Ebert's reviews - usually if he likes it, I like it.

Here's the opening paragraph:
"Pearl Harbor" is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle.
View Quote

Now THAT is funny stuff.

Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Saving Private Ryan meets Titanic.  Oh boy!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to go see it and the line was around the block at 12:00pm friday. Tuesday I`ll see it.
I hear the one hour of action is worth the $$$
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went to go see it and the line was around the block at 12:00pm friday. Tuesday I`ll see it.
I hear the one hour of action is worth the $$$
View Quote

Well, then wait for the DVD man, and skip right to the attack.  That's what I plan to do.

The line was around the block?  That's what I was afraid of.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top