Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/3/2004 8:43:31 AM EST
My kids love these, so I've started keeping the dough in the fridge so I can bake a few at a time every now and then. There's very little sugar in them, so I don't feel too bad about giving them these every now and then.

1 cup peanut butter (I use the organic/natural stuff, it's less sweet)
1/2 cup of butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup honey or maple syrup (or any combo of the 2)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour (unbleached, all-purpose, or half spelt/half unbleached-this makes a different texture)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cream butter, peanut butter, and vanilla together in a large bowl (or a large zip-lock bag for convenience, you can use your hands then). Add honey or syrup and sugar, mixing well after each. Add well beaten eggs. Sift together flour and baking soda and add to the mixture.

Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. If you refridgerate the dough for a few hours, it becomes really easy to shape, and I make "Scooby snacks" out of them. With the spelt, it is best to refridgerate the dough overnight first to soften them, and they will rise a lot more if you do this. I can't tell you how many it will make because we usually eat half the dough....

Who else has a good cookie recipe or some other snack food recipe??
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:07:11 AM EST
Thx for the recipe, my boys (Mr & lil gungho) will LOVE them!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:52:08 AM EST
Hope you don't mind if I borrow your recipe. My GF was looking for one so she could send some ( along with chocolate chip of course ) to my son over in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:10:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Pthfndr:
Hope you don't mind if I borrow your recipe. My GF was looking for one so she could send some ( along with chocolate chip of course ) to my son over in Iraq.

That's why I put the recipe here! I hope he enjoys them. Send him my thanks as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:52:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/5/2004 11:08:56 PM EST by Annarchy]
Coooookkkkiiiieeessss!!!!!!!!!!!!

Than­ks for the recipe cat_aclysm.

How about a Taste Teaser:

Pecan Sandwiches

Lightly brush large pecan halves with butter and spread one layer deep on a baking sheet. Toast at 350 F about 20 min., or until delicately browned. Grate Swiss cheese; blend in cream to spreading consistency. Spread one side of one pecan half with cheese mixture and top with a second half. Press gently togeather.
-------------------------------------

Almond Cookies

3/4 Cup almonds
7 ounces margarine
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour

1. Blanch and grind almonds. Cream margarine and sugar and add almonds, egg and flour. Let dough rest.
2. Use a cookie press or pastry bag to squirt dough out in 4-inch-long pieces, and form into rings.
3. Bake in 400 F oven for about 7 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:37:09 AM EST
Thanks Annarchy, those sound yummy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:49:21 AM EST
If you ladies need a guinea pig upon whom to test this recipe I volunteer! The chow here in Iraq is good, but home made cookies would be a pleasant change.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:12:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By stony275:
If you ladies need a guinea pig upon whom to test this recipe I volunteer! The chow here in Iraq is good, but home made cookies would be a pleasant change.

I'd be happy to send you some cookies if you want to IM me an addy to send them to. I'm sure the other ladies would send care packages as well. What are your favorites? Chocolate chip? Peanut butter? A nice assortment?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:37:27 AM EST
You skinny people with your cookie recipes.......

You're torturing those of us on diets.

<----Ate three biscuits for breakfast this morning, for the first time in months. Feels guilty now. Must go work out. Can't even say the word 'cookie' without gaining back a pound.

Women...torturing me.....I see a pattern developing here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:58:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By cat_aclysm:

I'd be happy to send you some cookies if you want to IM me an addy to send them to. I'm sure the other ladies would send care packages as well. What are your favorites? Chocolate chip? Peanut butter? A nice assortment?

IM w/addy sent.

An assortment works for me. I wonder if anyone knows how to make molasses cookies?
I'll share them with my team mates.

Thanks for your generousity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:10:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By cat_aclysm:

IM w/addy sent.

An assortment works for me. I wonder if anyone knows how to make molasses cookies?
I'll share them with my team mates.

Thanks for your generousity.

I haven't had molasses cookies since I was a kid. I'll see if I can dig up a recipe for them. I'll send them out on Saturday. Does anyone know how to pack cookies so they won't just be a box of crumbs by the time they get there?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:14:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/7/2004 2:15:46 AM EST by Annarchy]
Here is my old recipe.

Molasses Cookies

1 Cup Molasses
2 Cups Sugar
4 1/2 Tablespoons Vinegar
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Pound Chopped Nuts
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
2 Eggs
1 1/2 Tablespoons Baking-Soda
1/4 Pound Chopped Citron
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Corn Sirup
2 Cups Flour (appx.)

Beat eggs until light. Add molasses, sugar, sirup, water, and vinegar. Sift 2 cups flour. To 1 cup add spices, salt, and baking-soda. Combine with first mixture. Add citron and nuts which have been dredged with 1 cup sifted flour. Add sufficient floru to make a soft dough. Mix thoroughly. Turn onto lightly floured board. Roll in thin sheet. Cut with a floured cutter. Place on slightly oiled baking sheet. Bake in moderate oven (400 F) about 10 minutes.
50 servings.

- - - - - - - - -

cat_aclysm Does anyone know how to pack cookies so they won't just be a box of crumbs by the time they get there?

I have used old cookie tins and other medium sized tins to ship cookies. Stack them and use plastic wrap to make stacked rolls, helps keep them from crushing each other.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:20:04 PM EST
Stacking 2 cookies, bottom to bottom and wrapping with seran wrap will help keep them whole and a little fresher. Another idea is to separate layers with thin cardboard (like cerial boxes)
Top Top