Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2003 4:03:47 PM EDT
Work was crazy slow this afternoon and somehow we got on the topic of protests.  A few guys said that peaceful protests are more effective, but couples others said militant protests are the way to go if you were to protest.  I can see both sides.

Peaceful protests are good, usually get large number of people and a generally positive image from the media.

Militant protesters are few in numbers but have some balls.  They are general portrayed as extremists or crazy people.

Which do you thinks works better, the peaceful way or militant way?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Whoa, you are asking the wrong people!

If I were a protestor, I would realize being "militiant" in the sense of snarling traffic, vandalizing private property or diverting police and fire departments from regular service to the community, would be counterproductive and alienating.

Real, hard core violent and destructive militiant behavior, like sabotaging military equipment, attacking political leadership or logistic links might be effective.  It affects the actual organizations involved with what you're protesting.  The stakes and consequences of doing so are enormous (i.e., treason), and the jackasses who protest generally dont believe strongly enough to sacrifice or go that far.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Good question.

I think the peaceful way- nobody gets hurt, and the target will respect you for not causing any damage. However, there is a chance the peaceful way may be viewed as "softness". They need to protest frequently to get their point across.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top