Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 5:36:40 PM EDT
Guys, I'm sorry if this topic is taboo, but I just have to get this off my chest. We, as gun owners, should really take a long hard look at using Paypal. Their anti-gun policies/sentiments are well known and yet we keep putting money in their pockets because its convenient for us. I had a Paypal account a couple of years ago and closed it due to their anti-gun attitude. My wife recently talked me into opening another account. I recently sold a rifle on line and accepted payment via Paypal. They called me as soon as the transaction showed up saying they just wanted to verify that I did, indeed, auithorize the receipt. They wanted to know what the payment was for. I wasn't going to lie, so I told them it was for a legal transaction through a liscensed FFL dealer. They thanked me for answering their questions and again stated that they were only verifying the transaction since it was a large amount. Luckily I immediately transferred the money to my bank account. Thirty minutes later I get an e-mail saying that I had violated their rules and that my account was immediately suspended and that any money in my account would be held for 180 days. They also advised me to remove any mention of Paypal in any other ads I might have relating to firearms.Thankfully, after transferring the money I only had $25 left in the account.
These guys are out to get us and yet I would bet at least half the ads running on this (and most other) forums are posted as accepting Paypal. The way things are going in this country, we had better start taking tactics like this seriously. We certainly don't need to be lining the pockets of these people. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Guys, I'm sorry if this topic is taboo, but I just have to get this off my chest. We, as gun owners, should really take a long hard look at using Paypal. Their anti-gun policies/sentiments are well known and yet we keep putting money in their pockets because its convenient for us. I had a Paypal account a couple of years ago and closed it due to their anti-gun attitude. My wife recently talked me into opening another account. I recently sold a rifle on line and accepted payment via Paypal. They called me as soon as the transaction showed up saying they just wanted to verify that I did, indeed, auithorize the receipt. They wanted to know what the payment was for. I wasn't going to lie, so I told them it was for a legal transaction through a liscensed FFL dealer. They thanked me for answering their questions and again stated that they were only verifying the transaction since it was a large amount. Luckily I immediately transferred the money to my bank account. Thirty minutes later I get an e-mail saying that I had violated their rules and that my account was immediately suspended and that any money in my account would be held for 180 days. They also advised me to remove any mention of Paypal in any other ads I might have relating to firearms.Thankfully, after transferring the money I only had $25 left in the account.

These guys are out to get us and yet I would bet at least half the ads running on this (and most other) forums are posted as accepting Paypal. The way things are going in this country, we had better start taking tactics like this seriously. We certainly don't need to be lining the pockets of these people. Just my 2 cents.

no shit...where have you been?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
say it with me: "precision machined parts"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There ya go, or maybe Item #: 706397851644.

In either case though - it puts $ in their pockets.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The point is that you shouldn't have to bullshit your way through their crap.

Why contribute money to an organization that hates your guts?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah no shit. I know of no other bank that can just sieze your money at will and hold it for as long as they damn well please.

They tied up about a grand of mine for over a month one time. Took me countless phone calls and faxing to get my fucking money back

Almost seemed criminal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
If people wouldn't put "firearm(s)" or "AR-15" etc... I don't think they would get pissy. I have bought parts for my 12ga, a deer rifle, and hundreds of rounds of ammo through paypal. My dad also bought a deer rifle, shotgun, hundreds of rounds of ammo, and a pistol through paypal. As long as they don't put something gun related on the invoice/business title they don't know. If they call to ask what the purchase was, tell them its none of their damn business. If they threaten to close the acct for non-compliance tell them they are for precision machined parts (as above poster said) or fuel to power precision machines.

All my receipts from firearm related purchases say Wal Mart purchase, PGS, or ebay merchant (or sometimes their name).
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
PayPal, Ebay, and Craig's List have a bunch of lawyers warning them about the liability of firearms. Unfortunately we have a civil court system and attorneys that will target these companies for listing firearms, but do nothing about sex offenders. If they could make an extra dime off gun sales and not have to stress about little Johnny's mom suing, they would do it in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PayPal, Ebay, and Craig's List have a bunch of lawyers warning them about the liability of firearms. Unfortunately we have a civil court system and attorneys that will target these companies for listing firearms, but do nothing about sex offenders. If they could make an extra dime off gun sales and not have to stress about little Johnny's mom suing, they would do it in a heart beat.

THIS

These companies' anti-gun policies are a legal CYA more than anything else.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I disconnected my bank account from my PayPal account after the one and only time I had a mishap with them. I sold an air tank to a kid (paintball equipment) and they flagged the transaction as me hacking his account and stealing money.

After taking nearly a fucking month to get my $100, I refuse to use their service anymore... not to mention the fact that I've always had reservations about it due to them being anti-gun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Another thought, maybe we can make an ARFCOM run on PayPal

For those of you who don't know what a run on the bank is... Its where everyone takes the money out of their account all at once and leaves the bank with empty vaults.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

True - they have no issues having "power sellers" selling counterfeit merchandise
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For those of you who don't know what a run on the bank is... Its where everyone takes the money out of their account all at once and leaves the bank with empty vaults.

I think there are enough people laundering drug money and paying for hookers through PayPal that it wouldn't make a dent. Then again ARFCOM may be the same people.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Trust me, if every arfcommer here did just that it would go un-noticed.  

They are toooooo Big...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck PayPal and the horse they rode in on!!! They have no business being in business. They are such a blatant rip off, but thrive due to lack of competition.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Paypal is the devil.  /thread
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
someone needs to come up with a business like paypal, but less fucked up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:08:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If people wouldn't put "firearm(s)" or "AR-15" etc... I don't think they would get pissy. I have bought parts for my 12ga, a deer rifle, and hundreds of rounds of ammo through paypal. My dad also bought a deer rifle, shotgun, hundreds of rounds of ammo, and a pistol through paypal. As long as they don't put something gun related on the invoice/business title they don't know. If they call to ask what the purchase was, tell them its none of their damn business. If they threaten to close the acct for non-compliance tell them they are for precision machined parts (as above poster said) or fuel to power precision machines.

All my receipts from firearm related purchases say Wal Mart purchase, PGS, or ebay merchant (or sometimes their name).

I'm sorry, but isn't that the same as lying about not being Jewish just so you can continue to do business with the Nazis?!! Please, please, please let me continue to do business with you Paypal. I swear I have nothing to do with firearms!!! Oh wait, they're too big. We can't do anything about them so lets just keep using them and making them money.

And before I turn the rant off, why don't these forums stand up and say "We would prefer you don't transact business through Paypal on our For Sale site?" Its an awful lot like the churches stance on touchy subjects. It seems they want to stand up and fight only until the point that it might jeopardize their tax exempt status. We Americans had better re-learn how to make a stand or we are quickly going the way of the Greeks, Romans and all the other "greatest civilizations of all time". Rant off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

no shit...where have you been?

No shit??? Instead of making stupid useless posts that do nothing but boost your post count, why aren't you cracking back on the hundreds (if not thousands) of for sale threads here that are feeding this giant? Jeez, does anyone ever stop and ask themselves "Am I part of the solution or part of the problem?"

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#19]
<knocking on wood> I've never had trouble with Paypal and buying/selling firearms and related items. As has been mentioned, you just need to be discreet about it and not put words like "Gun" or "Firearm" or "Assault Rifle" in the subject lines. I've found that "Machine Parts" works well....that is untill Paypal reads this forum and sees what hit words we use to navigate around their absurd policy as it relates to legal transaction of firearms.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#20]
say it with me, google check out
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is that you shouldn't have to bullshit your way through their crap.

Why contribute money to an organization that hates your guts?

Following this logic, I wouldn't pay my taxes each year.

If I buy $500 worth of gun parts from you, and use Paypal to pay for my "stereo parts," and you get your money same-day, and ship my parts same-day, who's "getting over" on whom?  Sounds to me like we're the one coming out on top.  Sounds to me like the only objection to PayPal is "Waaa...I can't put "Bushmaster AR-15" in my subject line..."  Who cares about that?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Really - that works?  For individuals?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Look up a list of anti-gun (scared to get sued) businesses and organizations.  Once you see how many there are, you will be able to save all of your money, because there will be very few places for you to spend your dough.

Odds are also good that your family doctor is anti-gun as are most medical orgs/people outside of Texas.  You'll want to ask this before becoming his/her patient.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#24]
yes it sucks that they are anti gun bastards

but who isnt these days?

you think any bank is a good institution? probably not
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, just need an e-mail account with them, I try to use it
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet - I have one, so I am GTG.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I cancelled my PayPal account because it seems every time I use it my CC gets hacked. Happened twice and luckily nothing has shown up on the 3 credit reports. Since I cancelled it, I have not had any issues related to credit cards. Having PayPal not get any of my money because of their anti-gun stance is just icing.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Googlecheckout prohibited content list:
Firearms, ammunition, and other items including but not limited to firearms, disguised, undetectable or switchblade knives, martial arts weapons, scopes, silencers, ammunition, ammunition magazines, BB guns, tear gas or stun guns.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#29]
welcome to 2002 or whenever
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top