Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2002 5:06:23 PM EDT
I'm curios what everyone thinks about paypal.Good or Bad.Any problems or personal dislikes?
[USA]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used it to pay for several items on Ebay and once for an item on equipment exchange with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used it for quite a while and I've never had any problems. It's fast and easy and I've got a PayPal debit card that I can use to spend money as soon as someone sends it.

Lots of people complain about it, but I've never had a bit of trouble.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive used PayPal for about 100 tranasactions.All good.

But....they've been bought by eBay, so who knows what'll happen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I just started using it and hope all goes well, but I have to say, I really don't like giving credit card info. over the internet.  Even if it is just once to this company.  It's convenient and that's the ONLY reason I've signed on.  Could be snowing like hell outside and I don't have to visit the Post Office to get one of those sacred Postal Money Orders for 90 cents.

I'm sure there will be those reporting here with their horror stories.  Don't scare me too much, please![:D]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ive used PayPal for about 100 tranasactions.All good.

But....they've been bought by eBay, so who knows what'll happen.
View Quote

Good point.
Other than that, PayPal works very well. Just don't pay anyone with it that you wouldn't send a check to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, the first and biggest impact that ebay's purchasing paypal will probably be more fees -- this would be consistant with ebay's policy of screwing the little guy.  Other than that, probably not much will change.

Having said that, I don't use paypal, and try to avoid ebay when I can -- when I do buy something off ebay, I use either postal money orders or (very rarely) other money orders / cashier's check.

-FOTBR
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I use PayPal regularly. No Problems. (KOW)
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I got screwed big time by Pay Pal. I bought a fake watch on ebay, and paypal said tough shit. Their complaint resolution system said that since they are only a transfer service, they have no obligation to a buyer/remitter of funds.
I don't use them anymore.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
i dont think he knew it was fake.

anyway i have used paypal and havent had anyproblems except when they jacked the accept fee and didnt tell me oh well. from now on USPS money orders only.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well why did you buy a fake watch?
View Quote

Because, fellow traveler, the dickweed who sold it put a picture of a real Tag Heuer on the posting, and Ray Charles could see it was a fake when it arrived. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#13]
PayPal is so convenient, so safe to use, so foolproof that I wind up buying about twice as much crap online as I would otherwise.

Sooooo much fun though!  Go for it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Been using Paypal for about 2 months. No problems so far. Fast and convenient.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
No problems here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got screwed big time by Pay Pal. I bought a fake watch on ebay, and paypal said tough shit. Their complaint resolution system said that since they are only a transfer service, they have no obligation to a buyer/remitter of funds.
View Quote

That's true. PayPal protects the seller, like me, from such things as CC charge backs and the like.
All they did for you was an electronic transfer.

In your situation - EBAY was who you should have contacted to resolve your issue with the seller.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's true. PayPal protects the seller, like me, from such things as CC charge backs and the like.

In your situation - EBAY was who you should have contacted to resolve your issue with the seller.
View Quote

Yea, I realize that now. The only thing I'm unhappy about is the fact that Paypal doesn't tell you that, and leads you to believe they have a dispute resolution procedure.

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yea, I realize that now. The only thing I'm unhappy about is the fact that Paypal doesn't tell you that, and leads you to believe they have a dispute resolution procedure.
View Quote

Funny you say that. From what I've been hearing sellers are being scammed. Buyers are claiming that their merchandise didn't arrive when they in fact did. But when they complain to PayPal, they take the credit from the seller, giving the buyer his money back and now he has the product. I've had one bad experience from a seller in Texas a year ago. He claimed to be selling brand new TV Tuners for the Sega Game gear system and sent me a used one. I threatened to claim fraud but the seller made a deal with me. I was happy but it happened.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I loved it till I got a "chargeback" on my account.  That's where someone who used a credit card to pay through Paypal contests the charges and gets the money taken back out of an account.  This guy had won two of my auctions (for a Dillon tumbler and the sifter too) and paid with Paypal.  He receives the goods and we both leave positive feedbacks.  % months later I show a chargeback on my account for about $100.  Paypal told me they sent an email to me about it, but I never got it (was in the middle of an email address change, so that may have been why I didn't recieve notice).  Well it turns out the only proof Paypal would have accepted that I had sent him the merchandise was a tracking number......which I didn't save since the sale was 5 months past with feedback already given.  So even had I gotten the notice from Paypal I would still have lost the money.  The guy went back and forth but never came through with my money.  I kept getting excuses as to how it was a mistake...that the wife meant to do it to another seller for ripping him off......that Paypal also locked out his account......blah,blah.  End result was I got ripped for $100.  I dropped my Paypal account.  M.O. only from now on.  Ebay was also no help as the transaction either!!  By the way, I was told by Paypal that credit card payments can be contested for up to 1 year.....so save alll those tracking numbers if you sell stuff.......Make sure whatever method of shipping you use, uses a tracking system too.

For what it's worth it was nice till I got burned.  I know of others who had the same thing done to them......it blows......death to thieves!!!!! [devil]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Only one small problem. I tried to pay someone for a rifle purchase of the EE. Paypal wouldn't allow me to send them a $1200.00 credit card payments... but it allowed me to send them three seperate $400.00 credit card payments... The customer service people we're trying to tell me it was some kind of fraud protection issue which it is.... but as far as I can tell their fraud system is poorly designed (speaking as a fraud investigator) if it will allow someone to bypass it that easily. They also said there was no way to override the decline.... Bullsh**! There is ALWAYS a way.... I was just speaking to a peon that didn't have the power apparently.

Otherwise all my transactions have been smooth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the info.I think ill just stick with money orders.Alot of you have had no probs but the few that have scares me.I have bad luck as it is so I don't need to jeopardize it more.Thanks again.GCSDBORR
[USA]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top