Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2005 10:42:59 AM EDT
I didn't see a dupe on 5 pages.

BERLIN (Reuters) - Customers of a German supermarket chain will soon be able to pay for their shopping by placing their finger on a scanner at the check-out, saving the time spent scrabbling for coins or cards.

An Edeka store in the southwest German town of Ruelzheim has piloted the technology since November and now the company plans to equip its stores across the region.

"All customers need do is register once with their identity card and bank details, then they can shop straight away," said store manager Roland Fitterer.

The scanner compares the shopper's fingerprint with those stored in its database along with account details.

Edeka bosses said they were confident the system could not be abused.

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20050314/od_nm/odd_germany_fingerprint_dc
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#1]

These types of things always seem to start out as a matter of convenience...whether its a fingerprint scanner, or a windmill (think Animal Farm)...these advancements are sold to us for our own good. Im sure that no one would EVER misuse this technology

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I pay by assprint at my grocery store. It looks funny when you see people doing it, but it works.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
This kind of thing scares the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Not me. When I finally broke down and got a "membership" and the local market I got a couple and filled them all out with bogus info and I only use cash. The cards all bounce around in my cup holder and I just grab them out at random.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#5]
instead of finger print can i get a barcode on my forehead or hand? perferably customer # 666?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
instead of finger print can i get a barcode on my forehead or hand? perferably customer # 666?

Yes you can, and they will pay you 40 pieces of silver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top