Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2006 7:13:07 AM EDT
I read over and over, and have seen first hand, pawnshops with way over priced firearms.  I'm not certain, but I believe they "buy" the firearms for little or nothing don't they?  If so, I never understood why they don't sell them cheaper to get them moved.  Or in the least, take the time to clean the damn thing to make it look nice.  I still go in them just hoping to find something interesting at a good deal.  I did once find a NM m1a for a great price, but that was it.  If they are giving top dollar for the guns then I guess that would explain it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You just have to know where to shop and be able to bargain.

I've just about stolen a few guns that way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes the pawnshop will knowingly overprice an item so that it will likely still be in hock when the owner comes to get it back. Also, if the owner is making weekly payments to get the item back, the higher price = more money for the pawn shop.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have always had good luck at pawn shops provided I am willing to bargain and have cash in hand.  I onced scored an SKS for $42 because the owner thought it was 'broken.'  Someone had just reassembled it wrong.  I took the gun apart, cleaned it, put it together right, and sold it a few weeks later for $150.

Profit = $108.

Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I've bought several guns at pawn shops. My experiance is that they are almost always going to be priced high.

When they first come out of the back and put on display the higher price is in hopes someone will walk in off the street and pay it. Of course the price is never firm. Cash in hand tends to lower it a little.

Once the gun has been setting there a few weeks the price really becomes negotiable and you'll be able to get a much better deal.

If you are patient and don't let on that you have to have that particular gun you'll do pretty well. Of course you do run across some that are really a great price to start with. You just never know.

Link Posted: 8/27/2006 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I once saw a guy sell his glock 22 to a pawn shop for $200. I went back in about two weeks later and it was still there but priced at $430. I offered him $300 and he said no, so I left.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#6]
They buy everything CHEAP and jack it way UP in price. Look around you may be suprised the deals to be had.

During the ban I got an HK USP 40 w/2Pre-Ban "Hi-Caps" for less than 500 otd
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#7]
My step-dad owned one for a while when he retired from Law enforcement w/a fellow captain on the force. I had to tell them that you can't just base the price on the loan-amount, and then add a 'profit' too it. I actually ended up completely running the firearms and electronics section of the store and it did QUITE well, for a while, until the relationship dissolved and they sold it.

We had some nice stuff, and I always priced things fairly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I subscribe to this site with a news aggregator:
xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/

The site's author likes traveling his local pawn shop circuit looking for deals.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sometimes the pawnshop will knowingly overprice an item so that it will likely still be in hock when the owner comes to get it back. Also, if the owner is making weekly payments to get the item back, the higher price = more money for the pawn shop.

This post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Items are not put up for sale in a pawn shop until the time for the owner to redeem it is up. Then it becomes property of the pawn shop to be sold. Items are redeedmed buy payng back the loan amount + interest.The usual time period of a pawn shop loan is 1 month.After that, if not picked up by the owner, up for sale it goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top