Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 5:06:44 AM EDT
Pastor jailed for selling church, buying BMW

(1/31/06 - MANTECA, CA) - A pastor accused of selling the town's oldest church pleaded guilty to embezzlement on Monday and agreed to 18 months in prison, court officials said.
Randall Radic, 53, entered his plea as part of a deal in which prosecutors agreed to drop nine other charges.

Radic had preached at First Congregational Church in Ripon for nearly a decade before he sold the church last October for $525,000, allegedly using the money to buy a BMW. He also faked documents that gave him possession of his house, which was owned by the church, then used the property to take out loans, authorities said.

Before the plea deal, Radic had faced up to nine years in prison for 10 counts, including two counts of theft by embezzlement, two counts of obtaining property by false pretenses, four counts of forgery of signature and two counts of presenting a fraudulent document.

Radic's attorney Michael Babitzke declined to comment on the case Monday.

Radic remains in San Joaquin County Jail on $750,000 bail. He was scheduled to appear for a formal sentencing and restitution hearing on March 16.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Odds are he was skimming the plate the whole time as well.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to wonder how he sold a CHURCH out from under the congregation
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Odds are he was skimming the plate the whole time as well.  

Look on the bright side.

Better than fondling the alter boys...

Yeah, I'm cynical about churches...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I can understand if he bought an M5.  I don't condone it, but I can understand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top