Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/21/2004 5:01:20 AM EST
Pastor Charged After Calling Bible a Bomb

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A pastor says he was "just kidding" when he told airport security he had a bomb, reached into his luggage and pulled out a Bible, declaring, "This is my bomb."

Jose L. Gonzalez, a citizen of Spain living in Deltona, Fla., was arrested and charged Sunday with making a false statement.

Gonzalez was earlier reported to be part of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. However, organization officials said Wednesday he is not a member of their group.

Seventh-day Adventist officials said Gonzalez is part of the Seventh Day Adventist Reform Movement, a group that broke from the denomination in the mid 1860s and headquartered in Roanoke,Va., officials said.

The incident occurred as security screeners at the Nashville International Airport were searching his carry-on bag.

Gonzalez, a passenger on an Orlando, Fla.-bound Delta flight, had already raised suspicion when screeners found a laptop computer that he said at first he didn't have.

An investigation determined that Gonzalez did not pose a threat, but the FBI still arrested and charged him with making the statement.

"Upon being questioned by airport security officers about the above episode, Gonzalez admitted having said that he had a bomb," a federal criminal complaint states, "but insisted that he was just kidding.

"He claimed he had used the term 'bomb' as a way of referring to the Bible as having the ability to change one's life," the complaint states. "He admitted that it had been stupid and that he had not intended any harm."

U.S. Magistrate Judge Cliff Knowles presided over Gonzalez's initial court appearance Tuesday and advised him that, if convicted, he faces up to five years in prison and a potential fine of $250,000.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:06:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:10:28 AM EST
I see no problem here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:13:47 AM EST
Actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:14:40 AM EST
"This here book is DA BOMB!"

They busted a pastor for saying that?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:15:52 AM EST
The Bible is da bomb.

But he was an idiot to joke in such a manner now-a-days.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:16:11 AM EST
they should charge him with trying to spread a meme virus

<­BR>
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:16:45 AM EST
I was working out in south central back in the mid 90's when I ran into some victory outreach guys. They were ex-gangsters that were now reformed.

Anyways, one of them held up a bible and told me it was now their machine gun that they used to mow down the devil and his agents of evil instead of other homies.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:42:07 AM EST
Charged with "making a false statement"? So you can go to prison for lying now? Was he under oath?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:45:27 AM EST
i am surprised they did not go to his house and shoot his dog
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:56:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
Actions have consequences.

Indeed. That isn't funny, and a Christian ought to know better than to do something so idiotic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:58:32 AM EST
Wonder if he learned his lesson.

Don't airports have big freaking signs that say if you talk shit we will cavity search you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:02:39 AM EST
I will never fly I will never fly I will never fly I will never fly