Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#1]
IT’S A RELIGIOUS THREAD TRAP!!!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Your Obviously a heartless Basturd...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I don't want to stand next to you during a storm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I enjoyed it and thankful that I can try and be a christian. Hard at times.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I enjoyed the sub plot of the movie more than the main plot.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

That the jews killed Christ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:04:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

The deap love that exist between a mother and her child.  Jesus was the "Son of God" but Mary viewed Him first as her child.

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

That he rose ?

GM
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:07:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

This is a topic I've always found interesting.  If it was what Jesus was ultimately sent here to do, how could anyone kill Christ without the Lord's will allowing it?  If you believe in God, weren't the Jews just doing what God wanted them to?  And there were several Jews in the temple who spoke out about the wrongness of what they were doing.

I'll admit it.  Watching the scourging scene shook me up pretty bad.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well don't come here.  Been raining for 4 days hence the reason I am not at work and left with the option of renting fiction.

You realize that there are historical accounts outside of the Bible of His being scourged and crucified, don't you?

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

The deap love that exist between a mother and her child.  Jesus was the "Son of God" but Mary viewed Him first as her child.

Sgtar15

Gotcha..

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've been Hijacked

Yeah...that often happens when the topics starts out boring....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well don't come here.  Been raining for 4 days hence the reason I am not at work and left with the option of renting fiction.

Are you trying to set the record for longest running thread?

Is it appropriate for site staff to troll like this?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

This is a topic I've always found interesting.  If it was what Jesus was ultimately sent here to do, how could anyone kill Christ without the Lord's will allowing it?  If you believe in God, weren't the Jews just doing what God wanted them to?  And there were several Jews in the temple who spoke out about the wrongness of what they were doing.

God did not want them to do it, He just knew that it was going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Btw, it was our sins that killed Jesus, the Jew and Romans were just the tools used.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Btw, it was our sins that killed Jesus, the Jew and Romans were just the tools used.

Sgatr15

What do you know Sarge, you think Mary is greater than God...

eta- I will trade you some of the disks in my back for a couple pints of blood.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

Thank you for pointing that out. So many people miss that. It was Christs mission.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I to, thought the movie was boring, but I am not a Christian.  I saw the movie at the request of my girlfriend, who is.  However, I am going to chose to abstain from bad mouthing a movie that means so much to many people.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You realize that there are historical accounts outside of the Bible of His being scourged and crucified, don't you?

There are???  You got a link???
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I just want to add that even though I am an atheist, I thought the movie was very powerful...if anyone actually went through all that willingly, then they are a better man than I...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you all realize that an actual event can be used for the basis of a fictitous production.
The bible is not a veriafiable document. When you go to the bookstore to buy a bible, they are located in the religous section, not non fiction.
Further, there was a screenplay for the film, based on the bible, but with artistic license. It's not a documentary.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have a link from two thousand years ago.

I can not remember who it was but I remember hearing there are notes in some Romans diary that there was a man called Jesus of Nazareth who was crucified.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#30]
This thread reminds me of one about 2 months ago, about 6 months ago, about 9 months ago.  And they all keep getting more and more interesting, full of new information, cutting edge conclusions and probing questions.  Oh please keep it up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#33]
wife loved it... i though it was a waste of two hours, and was totally pointless...

mel needs to stick to acting...

next time i want to watch a two hour snuff film, ill rent texas chainsaw massacre...

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:23:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Deal...but I need 4 good disks...and I can give you a pint a week.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
wife loved it... i though it was a waste of two hours, and was totally pointless...

next time i want to watch a two hour snuff film, ill rent texas chainsaw massacre...

Now THAT'S a MOVIE!!!  "Saw" ROCKS!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you all realize that an actual event can be used for the basis of a fictitous production.
The bible is not a veriafiable document. When you go to the bookstore to buy a bible, they are located in the religous section, not non fiction.
Further, there was a screenplay for the film, based on the bible, but with artistic license. It's not a documentary.

Tacitus, a Roman historian and non Christian wrote some pretty interesting stuff.

IIRC he agreed most of the stuff happened.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#38]
This discussion always goes to hell around here(Pun intended)  As the Dead Sea Scrolls are deciphered it has been proven Mary was not a virgin.  The text was misread.  Mary was a young girl, not a virgin.  The same applies to the Devil himself.  Satan was mistranslated from ha-satan which is Hebrew from adversary.  I believe in God, but Mel Gibsons movie is very innacurate and should be judged as such.  He glorifies violence for a profit.  Not to mention Mel is a your all going to hell if you don't believe exactly as I do kind of personality.
The parts of the movie I saw were not historically accurate to the degree that we know what happened so long ago.  The gratuitous use of violence was not tasteful.  Many her attack that notion due to the subject matter.  Violence is violence.  If it's the alledged son of God or not.
now like the 1st sentance said, this will spriral out of control into a pissing match shortly so let me reiterate.  I believe in God.  I do not believe in the mis translated text of the bible.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Deal...but I need 4 good disks...and I can give you a pint a week.

Sgatr15

Alright now lets just get a surgeon who is willing.  I can feel my cholesterol lowering as I type.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:36:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
This discussion always goes to hell around here(Pun intended)  As the Dead Sea Scrolls are deciphered it has been proven Mary was not a virgin.  The text was misread.  Mary was a young girl, not a virgin.  The same applies to the Devil himself.  Satan was mistranslated from ha-satan which is Hebrew from adversary.  I believe in God, but Mel Gibsons movie is very innacurate and should be judged as such.  He glorifies violence for a profit.  Not to mention Mel is a your all going to hell if you don't believe exactly as I do kind of personality.
The parts of the movie I saw were not historically accurate to the degree that we know what happened so long ago.  The gratuitous use of violence was not tasteful.  Many her attack that notion due to the subject matter.  Violence is violence.  If it's the alledged son of God or not.
now like the 1st sentance said, this will spriral out of control into a pissing match shortly so let me reiterate.  I believe in God.  I do not believe in the mis translated text of the bible.

The Dead Sea Scrolls were written by a group of Jews who did not believe Jesus to be the Son of God.  They do not contain any useful insight into Christianity.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

It is called the doctrine of concurrance

Demons and sinful man does their thing to try to foil the plan of God and in the midst of foiling the plan of God they actually CARRY OUT the plan of God.

Peter was preaching to the Jews in the first part of Acts-
Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Two things:  God delivered Him up by His determinate counsel and foreknowledge and YOU JEWS took Him by wicked hands and crucifed Him.

Both at the same time!

Who has been His advisor and who has counseled Him?-  Paul in Romans

Patsue
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Dead Sea Scrolls were written by a group of Jews who did not believe Jesus to be the Son of God.  They do not contain any useful insight into Christianity.

I like your posts and don't want to get in a pissing match with you.  What you miss is that the Dead Sea Scrolls allowed better translation of anciant Bible texts that now prove Mary was a young woman and SATAN is simply a political/military adversary.  Things were simply not as divine as many people believe.  however the believer say this is just part of the challenge to believe.  When it comes to the entire areana of Christian based religion to each his own for sure, for it is a complex grouping of beliefs.  All believers in the Christian God should not be fighting amongst themselves.  As we have been seeing in recent years, we have a common enemy that is out to spread it's beliefs worldwide.  

NOTE Mods:  This is not a condemnation of any particular race, creed or color.  This is not a kill em all reply.  This is not  advocating the destruction of any other race.  Please do not misinterpret above statements to the contrary.  Our enemy is not an entire race or religous group.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have a link from two thousand years ago.

I can not remember who it was but I remember hearing there are notes in some Romans diary that there was a man called Jesus of Nazareth who was crucified.

Josephus - Antiquities of the Jews Chapter 3 verse 3

"Now, there was about this time, Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of  such men as recieve the truth with pleasure.  he drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles.  He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principle men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had fortold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the trib of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day"

Josephus was born in 37 AD and died sometime after 100 AD

patsue
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT'S a MOVIE!!!  "Saw" ROCKS!!!

"WE DO ALL THE KILLIN! youre just the COOK!"
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I "liked" it, in the sense it was an intense film.  But I don't know if I could watch it again.  I got choked up a few times watching it, as did almost everone in the theater.

I liked the way Gibson infused 'horror movie' aspects into the film with the Devil character. That was some truly creepy shit, there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I change my answer.  I think 1GUNRUNNER killed Jesus CHrist.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Which was.....?

The Jews didn't kill Christ. I did. He died there for my sins.

So if anyone wants to blame someone for Christ's death, blame me. Jesus said "No man takes my life. I lay it down..." He laid it down to purchase my redemption.

I am guilty of the blood of Christ.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I to, thought the movie was boring, but I am not a Christian.  I saw the movie at the request of my girlfriend, who is.  However, I am going to chose to abstain from bad mouthing a movie that means so much to many people.  

And as someone who loves Jesus and what He did for me on that Cross, I appreciate your reverence a great deal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top