BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 10:23:57 PM EDT

news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article340386.ece

Passengers threaten mutiny on crippled 'Queen Mary 2'

By Elaine Barker
Published: 23 January 2006

Passengers on board the world's largest and most luxurious cruise ship have threatened a mutiny after it set sail with a damaged propeller.

Cunard Lines' Queen Mary 2 has missed three ports of call because it is running at a reduced speed. Passengers have said they will stage a "sit-in" when it reaches Rio de Janeiro next week, to prevent it continuing its voyage.

People on board are furious to have missed out on visiting exotic ports of call, where many had arranged to meet relatives and friends. But Cunard, which has offered compensation, says the ship is two days behind schedule and has no time to stop.

Problems began on Tuesday when the 150,000-ton liner had to be towed back to Fort Lauderdale in Florida after one of its motors was damaged. Passengers were angry after being told they would not be stopping at the Caribbean islands of St Kitts and Barbados, and Salvador in Brazil.

Alan Berg, 62, from Manchester, is one of 2,500 passengers on the 38-day cruise around South America. He said: "We have been lied to and misled. We should have been allowed the option of getting off at Fort Lauderdale and not taking the cruise at all. It is not a cruise now but rather a voyage by sea to Rio.

"Many guests are on once-in-a-lifetime holidays and I have seen several in tears. The mood among passengers is extremely angry and becoming more so. One passenger has described the situation as being held hostage by Cunard."

Mr Berg said some passengers had met the captain of the ship, Commodore Ronald Warwick, but a satisfactory outcome had not been reached.

A spokesman for Cunard said: "The ship is proceeding on three engines and therefore is moving slightly slower than it would on four. We have 1,000 passengers that are being picked up at Rio, and it is essential that the ship arrives in Rio on time. Passengers who are travelling to Rio will be given a 50 per cent refund of the fare they have paid." He said Cunard would deal with the threatened sit-in on the liner "when the time comes".

Eric Flounders, of Cunard, added that the ship had set sail from New York and suffered problems with a propulsion pod after sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. "It was towed back in so the problem could be investigated, and this put the cruise about one and a half days behind schedule.

"It was not until she was at sea that we could tell how many ports of call would be omitted, and this is why the passengers could not be informed while in Fort Lauderdale. We would not have stopped anyone who really wanted to disembark there - but they may have found it complicated."

He said reports of a mutiny were "purely speculative" and that discussions between unhappy passengers and crew were continuing. The cruise is scheduled to finish in Los Angeles on 22 February.

In 2003, 15 people died when a gangway collapsed while the liner was in dry dock at St Nazaire, France. The QM2 arrived home late from her maiden voyage in 2004 after bow doors which covered the propellers failed to shut in Portugal.

Passengers on board the world's largest and most luxurious cruise ship have threatened a mutiny after it set sail with a damaged propeller.

Cunard Lines' Queen Mary 2 has missed three ports of call because it is running at a reduced speed. Passengers have said they will stage a "sit-in" when it reaches Rio de Janeiro next week, to prevent it continuing its voyage.

People on board are furious to have missed out on visiting exotic ports of call, where many had arranged to meet relatives and friends. But Cunard, which has offered compensation, says the ship is two days behind schedule and has no time to stop.

Problems began on Tuesday when the 150,000-ton liner had to be towed back to Fort Lauderdale in Florida after one of its motors was damaged. Passengers were angry after being told they would not be stopping at the Caribbean islands of St Kitts and Barbados, and Salvador in Brazil.

Alan Berg, 62, from Manchester, is one of 2,500 passengers on the 38-day cruise around South America. He said: "We have been lied to and misled. We should have been allowed the option of getting off at Fort Lauderdale and not taking the cruise at all. It is not a cruise now but rather a voyage by sea to Rio.

"Many guests are on once-in-a-lifetime holidays and I have seen several in tears. The mood among passengers is extremely angry and becoming more so. One passenger has described the situation as being held hostage by Cunard."

Mr Berg said some passengers had met the captain of the ship, Commodore Ronald Warwick, but a satisfactory outcome had not been reached.

A spokesman for Cunard said: "The ship is proceeding on three engines and therefore is moving slightly slower than it would on four. We have 1,000 passengers that are being picked up at Rio, and it is essential that the ship arrives in Rio on time. Passengers who are travelling to Rio will be given a 50 per cent refund of the fare they have paid." He said Cunard would deal with the threatened sit-in on the liner "when the time comes".

Eric Flounders, of Cunard, added that the ship had set sail from New York and suffered problems with a propulsion pod after sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. "It was towed back in so the problem could be investigated, and this put the cruise about one and a half days behind schedule.

"It was not until she was at sea that we could tell how many ports of call would be omitted, and this is why the passengers could not be informed while in Fort Lauderdale. We would not have stopped anyone who really wanted to disembark there - but they may have found it complicated."

He said reports of a mutiny were "purely speculative" and that discussions between unhappy passengers and crew were continuing. The cruise is scheduled to finish in Los Angeles on 22 February.

In 2003, 15 people died when a gangway collapsed while the liner was in dry dock at St Nazaire, France. The QM2 arrived home late from her maiden voyage in 2004 after bow doors which covered the propellers failed to shut in Portugal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's British, and has a motor, you shouldn't bank on it running correctly.

I thought everyone knew that.

I'll bet it's got Lucas wiring on the bad motor.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Have at it.  We will take your money.  Enjoy Florida.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it was built in France...

ANdy

Well, if there's one thing you can do to an English vehicle to make it even worse, it's hiring Frenchmen to build it for ya.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought only the crew can mutiny.
The passengers are thought of as just cattle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Well, if there's one thing you can do to an English vehicle to make it even worse, it's hiring Frenchmen to build it for ya.

Now that shit is funny.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
My parents are currently on that ship

ETA partial email from my mother:

Jan. 14, 2006
We flew from Sacramento to New York via Atlanta.  In New York, it was 25 degrees, windy, snowy.  It was cold!  We were met by someone from Cunard who sent us by shuttle to the pier.  The Queen Mary II was waiting for us.  After boarding we went up to the top deck for a look at the skyline.  We had to watch our step, as the deck had ice and snow on it and the wind almost blew us away.  After dark the ship sailed, but since we had been up all night on the plane, we made it an early night and went to bed.

The ship is full.  Many British and quite a few from Brazil.  Our stewardess is from Sweden.

Jan. 17th----We docked in Ft. Lauderdale this morning to take on 300+ more passengers.  About 1pm we sailed again, but when we were off Miami, we noticed we weren't moving.  Turns out there is a problem with one of the propulsion motors, and we sailed back to Ft. Lauderdale.  I heard it was even on the news.

Jan. 18th----We are to be in Ft. Lauderdale for the day.  A couple of tours have been arranged and a shuttle to a shopping mall, but we are staying on the ship.  They say we will sail at 6pm.  No one knows what this will do to our itinerary.

Jan. 19th---We left Ft. Lauderdale at 6am this morning.  Yesterday we watched as divers worked between the ship and the pier.  The Captain sent a letter saying the ship had hit the side of the channel as we left the first time from Ft. Lauderdale.  After we returned, the divers spent all day and most of the night working on the problem.  I saw two divers come up in the three feet or so between the ship and the pier.  A big crane was used also though I didn't see what it was used for.  I did hear from someone else that the propulsion pod (something like the propeller) was removed.  There are four of them on the ship.  It was announced today that we will go directly to Rio de Janiero, canceling the stops in St. Kitts, Barbados, and Salvador, Brazil.  After that, we haven't heard.

The food is wonderful.  We are trying to limit ourselves to 3 meals a day.  Yesterday instead of lunch we had afternoon tea (little sandwiches and pastries).  We've had lunch in the pub a couple of times (bangers and mash, fish and chips, ploughman's lunch and a cottage pie).

To fill in the time, I have been to the on-board planetarium films, played team trivia (good way to meet other people), got a book from the on-board library, and have been crocheting to use up some of my left-over yarn from home.  Chris has attended a computer class, and explores the ship.  He got a list of the countries the passengers are from too.  There are 3 from Denmark.  The office will not give out names for cabin numbers, but will deliver a note to them, so this afternoon we met a Danish woman and her husband who live in England.

In the evening there is always entertainment.  Tonight is the Captain's cocktail party so we must dress up.

Jan. 21st---I have just come from a meeting in the theater.  It holds over a thousand people, and was nearly full.  They will repeat it at 1pm.  It was essentially a question and comment time between passengers and the Captain.  I can tell you that people are really irate, threatening law suits, and mutiny.  1500 people are supposed to get off when we get to Rio, to make room for on-coming passengers.  There is talk of them staying on board and refusing to leave unless a better offer is made for compensation.  People scheduled to get off in Rio were offered 50% of their cruise fare refunded, not including air fare etc.  They have lost all their  ports of call and are getting into Rio a day late which means some or most of them will be going directly home.  Some are actually missing their scheduled flights.  To them the cruise is a complete loss since they did not bargain for just days at sea.  The passengers scheduled to go all the way to Los Angeles have been told they will receive a refund for 6 days.  We will also get some on-board credit for the time lost in some of the ports after Rio.   I have not heard from a single person who seems to be satisfied with all this.  People are demanding everything from free booze to complete refunds and 2 free cruises.  One said her son works for BBC and is getting full reports.  It was also suggested people contact CNN, etc.  We are just going with the flow.  Since we are going the whole way we have much less to lose than those who are scheduled to get off in Rio.  Since the average speed has been reduced somewhat a few hours has been reduced from some of our ports of call after Rio, but none have been cut completely.  Comments were made about being held prisoner on the ship, and other such wild things, but it will be interesting to see what happens between here and Rio, which will take almost a week.
------------------------------------------------

My father was on the deck when the ship left Ft Lauderdale.  He said that the ship was near one side of the channel, and he noticed that sand was being kicked up in the water. Apparently one of the propellers hit the bottom of the channel. A local pilot was at the helm at the time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My parents are currently on that ship

ETA partial email from my mother:

<SNIP>

My father was on the deck when the ship left Ft Lauderdale.  He said that the ship was near one side of the channel, and he noticed that sand was being kicked up in the water. Apparently one of the propellers hit the bottom of the channel. A local pilot was at the helm at the time.

Great report. I hope everything turns out OK with your parents.

I'd like to see what happens.

ETA - KEEP US POSTED!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Ugh, I feel for the crew.  I used to work for a small cruise ship company, and the ship's engine conked out for one group. Instead of a cruise, they got a flightseeing trip around Glacier Bay, and on top of that, some people had to do that seperate from their spouse/family.  Very unhappy people, and they took it out on me
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't get on a cruise ship if they paid me.

It has never seemed like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Nice save.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:00:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Passengers have said they will stage a "sit-in" when it reaches Rio de Janeiro next week, to prevent it continuing its voyage.

Help me to understand how a sit-in will prevent the ship from sailing?  Where would they be sitting that would keep the ship in port?  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Mr. Morrinson, keel haul this man!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife has been bugging me for years about going on a cruise, and she wonders why I have absolutely no desire to do so.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Passengers have said they will stage a "sit-in" when it reaches Rio de Janeiro next week, to prevent it continuing its voyage.

Help me to understand how a sit-in will prevent the ship from sailing?  Where would they be sitting that would keep the ship in port?  

They will fail to vacate their rooms which are already sold to the 1000 people boarding in rio.  I assume it isn't a college jackass like sit in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#18]
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#19]
One of the down sides of the POD type constuction is once its broken its dry dock for the repair.  No fixing it while underway most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

<SNIP>

Our stewardess is from Sweden.

<SNIP>

Where do I sign up for the next cruise?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Built by the French ? Couldn't they run it in reverse ? If they did that, I'll bet they could make up the time.          Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Prop problems?

Was it built by the same company that built Charles de Gaulle?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Hoist the Jolly Roger!

ARRRRRR!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Hell, it that case the ship should run REAL fast...

I've been on it, it's pretty ship.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I wonder if Lucas Electric built it?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+1000 Billion

I remember seeing The Poseidon Adventure as a kid. On top of it, I am a spontaneous sort of traveller. If I get into a port of call and want to go see something, I am not interested in following the red umbrella back to the big boat by 3pm.

I'll skip. I think cruise ships have outlived their cultural relevance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

How TRUE!  Anyone who has owned a Brit sports car can attest to that!  

Sheesh...for what those folks paid for a 38 day voyage...I'd be pissed off too!

Cunard is going to lose their ass in this fuckup...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Strike that ship/company from my to-do list..
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Update from my parents on the ship

Jan. 24th----This morning we went to a lecture on the Titanic.  Thought it interesting that they would have it on a ship.  The speaker was making a documentary which will be on the History channel on Feb. 26th.  He and his diving partner made a dive to the ship in the Russian submersible MIR like James Cameron used for the movie.  He showed us the beginning of the show in a sort of draft form, but wouldn't really reveal what they had found.  Have to watch the program on the History channel to find out.  He was very interesting to listen to.  He has made dives on the Lusitania, Andrea Doria, and a number of other wrecks.

Yesterday afternoon the Commodore had a meeting again to announce that Cunard will not increase their offer of compensation for the lost ports of call and that anything further must be done by letter to the company.  That brought further threats of legal action.  We are just watching the whole thing.  It will be interesting to see what happens in Rio on Friday.
Tonight we are invited to a cocktail party with the Commodore and the officers.  We met one Danish woman and her husband, and it seems that the other two Danes aboard are the cruise director's wife and the Commodore's secretary.  Chris had sent notes to them via the purser (they don't give out names or cabin numbers but will deliver a note to them).  He had gotten a list of the countries people are from, complete with numbers.  Most are British, then American, then Brazilian.  There are about 35 countries represented  (just passengers, there are also many countries among the crew).

I play trivia games a couple of times a day in the pub.  It is best if we can get a team together of both Brits and Americans as the questions tend to be from both countries, though this morning they were all on the Amazon.

Haven't been off the ship since New York.  Will try to keep you posted.

Jan. 27th---Last night everyone on board the Queen Mary II received a letter from the President of Cunard revising their reimbursement offer.  Those sailing from New York or Ft. Lauderdale and getting off in Rio de Janeiro will get a full refund for their fare, including air fare, a much more generous offer than had been previously made.  The two British couples at our dinner table were elated.  They had been rather upset by all the missed ports and the late arrival into Rio, to say the least.  Chris had seen an interview of the President of Cunard on CNN a couple of days ago.  I saw an e-mailed copy of an article from the London Times that one woman had gotten from her son.  The headline said "Mutiny on the Queen Mary".  Modern communication certainly aided that.  People were e-mailing everyone they knew connected with the media.   We docked in Rio this morning and the press were waiting for us.

Since we had only 8  hours in Rio we did our best to see what we could.  We had a tour which the travel agent had arranged for us.  First we went by bus to a cog-wheel tram which took us to the top of the mountain where the statue of Christ stands.  Besides seeing the statue we got a panoramic view of Rio which was very nice.  After coming down the mountain we drove to an old home which we toured and had a drink in the garden along with some Brazilian breads and hors deuvers.  Later we went to a Brazilian barbeque which had a huge buffet of sushi, fish of various kinds, and salads.  Waiters came to our table with large skewers of beef, pork, ribs, chicken, and sausage.  At each place was a little card, green on one side and red on the other.  So long as it was green they kept offering you more.  It was all very good.  I was still full at supper time.  We saw all the beaches of course, Ipanema, Copacabana, and other.  We also stopped at the cathedral.  It is very modern looking---shaped like a rocket nose cone, with three stained glass windows that reach to the peak a hundred feet or so in the air.  The cross is suspended from the ceiling.  There is room for 25,000 people we were told.  We drove past many of the historic buildings in Rio, and returned to the ship just in time for it to sail.  Tomorrow is a sailing day again, and I will have to wash clothes.  There are laundry facilities on each deck of cabins, and even detergent is provided.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I spend over 6 months a year on Petro-Chem Cruise Lines.

It's OK.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I can't resist....

Why don't the English build computers?

ummm..the ARM core??

remember Acorn Risc Machines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top