Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2007 7:31:53 PM EDT
Well I qualified on the patrol rifle today.

A culmination of 5, nine hour, days of training.  Unlike most Govt. schools we actually stayed late everyday.  

We figured it out that each student went through about 2500-3000 rounds.

The training was awesome.  

I shot a 451 out of 500 and that include the 30 points I lost for not getting 3 shots off.  Once I dropped to a seated position from standing, to take 2 shots in 5 seconds, and fell backwards.  Haha.  I kept the muzzle downrange and not pointed at my feet, so that was a bonus, but It cost me two shots.  

I was trying to go faster than every other time I did this drill and it cost me 20 points.  We had to do this drill 2x for the qual and I slowed down so much to ensure I didn't attempt another reverse somersault that I only got one of the 2 shots off.  There went 10 more points.

Every person who passed the qualifcation course (only one was DQ'ed for hitting paper but missing the target image) shot 90% or better.  I was actually one of the lowest scores.

If your agency has a rifle program and the training is good, I'd recommend taking it up.  Nothing like a great new tool at your disposal.

Now I get to go shopping for a vest to carry extra spare mags, first aid kit, lunch, sunscreen, etc..
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet....bigern

My dept. made us shoot 100% on mine and since I bought my own rifle(Colt was required) 100% was what they got, since momma would have sold me and the AR had I not passed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sweet....bigern

My dept. made us shoot 100% on mine and since I bought my own rifle(Colt was required) 100% was what they got, since momma would have sold me and the AR had I not passed.

You had to hit 100% in the 10 ring?  Or you had to have 100% on the sillouette (sp)?  We had to have the latter.  

We fired prone from 100, prone and kneeling from 75, standing from 50 and from behind barridcade strong and weak side with a tactical reload, standing from 25 yards, standing 2 to the body 1 to the head from 25 yards, and then 2 to the body 1 to the head from 10 yards.  Differing numbers of shots at the different distances.

During the training we did live fire building searches, fired on moving targets, took hostage shotes, etc..  Very sweet training and in line with all the firearms training we receive from our dept..

Our chief attended the Beslan seminar and our rifle program will be getting even more equipment to gun up for that possibility.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
We use Q targets with the inner bottle, your school sounds alot better...we had a admin. who thought active shooter was too much and he was dictating what the class would consist of which was low-end fundamentals. He is not over ops any longer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We use Q targets with the inner bottle, your school sounds alot better...we had a admin. who thought active shooter was too much and he was dictating what the class would consist of which was low-end fundamentals. He is not over ops any longer.

My agency, for all it's faults, doesn't scrimp on training.  We get active shooter training straight after the state academy. Before we start FTO we get it in our standard 2.5 week post academy agency training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top