Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 10:13:41 AM EDT
It was working fine until I goofef with it.Well thats the only im going to learn.Here is a short history of what I did.

Partitioned into three parts
1.C:1gig for windows 98se
2.D:8.3 gigs for applications
3.E:8.3 gigs for files
4.Plus I left some for linux

I installed linux and everything was working fine[after98].Then I found out I didn't leave enough room to get everything on the Mandrake install I wanted to.I tried to uninstall Mandrake and it wouldnt let me get rid of the native partition.So I ran the install agian and choose to erase entire disk.I thought I would just start over and redo everything.Well the power went out for a second.

Now I use the 98 boot disk go int fdisk andshow me what on there.After messing with it shows a
EXT DOS 15963 82% it says there are logical drives but when you display it there isn't any.
It wont let me delete the ext because of the logical drives,but there isn't any.

PRI DOS 11429 59% FAT 32
I took what was usable of the disk and formatted itthinking it would wipe out the computer being confused about the logical drives
Now I cant delete this becaust a ext partition exists.

The whole hd is 19456MB so the partitons are overlapping.That what the linux install said when I tried it agian.There are no linux partitions left[I think]In the linux install It shows no partitions and sees the whole 19.4 gigs.

I just want to wipe everything out.If I can Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
In DOS try format /MBR (I think you should have format on the Diskette)

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried and it says invaled switch- /MBR.

Do I have to switch to C:
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]
My bad, it should be "format c: /mbr" I believe.

It has been a long time.  Try that.  Let me know if it works..looking for this nifty util I had for this cr@p.

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
/MBR is a switch for the FDISK command, not for the format command.... try that

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Still get the same message.Is this something you have to add to a regular 98 boot  disk?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#6]

I think you will have to delete the linux partition with the linux install program if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried FDISK/MBR and it makes the floppy light up and turn and then goes back to the A prompt
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a similar problem, this utility worked perfectly.

[url]http://www.bootdisk.com[/url]

Download a utility called DELPART under the partitioning section.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Try one of these:

Ranish Partition Manager:
[url]http://www.ranish.com/part/[/url]

PARTIT
[url]http://www.compguystechweb.com/downloads/partitz.zip[/url]

MBR Scan:
[url]http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA003009/indexe.htm[/url]

These should work.

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, that is it!  Delpart worked for me as well.  I could not remember the name and finding the disk is impossible.  But I have it somewhere! [;)]

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Can/how do you use delpart in dos

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can/how do you use delpart in dos

View Quote

Yes, Delpart is an .exe and it is a DOS utility.

[url]http://www.dewassoc.com/download/delpart.exe[/url]

Make a bootdisk, copy delpart.exe to it.  Boot from it and type "delpart"

It should work charms.  

I am unwilling to test it on my system. [;)]

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I already made a floppy.Popped out the 98 boot disk.Tried typing everything I could think of.Didnt thinkf to type delpart!!

DOOOOHHH!!![use your best Homer voice]

Thanks it worked great.Showed 4 partitions.Nothing like a little power surge and panic.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I use partition magic, have used it for many years and have never had a problem resizing partitions without loosing data. I have to ask though, why 4 partitions as opposed to 2? You know you are degrading R/W performance having multiple partitions on one hard drive don't you? Add a 2nd hard drive on the 2nd IDE controller and you will get better performance out of your computer. Just a suggestion. I would recommend Partition Magic if you are going to be playing with partitions. I have not tried the others suggested if they are free and work good then give it a shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top