Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 8:45:18 AM EDT
Thank you to the parole board for all your hard work. Idiots.

Parolee, Police Dog Killed In California Shootout
ASSOCIATED PRESS

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- A parolee and a police dog were killed in a shootout near downtown, police said.

The incident began around 11:15 p.m. Sunday when a parolee ran from police who went to check on him at his home and shot at officers who chased him, said Sgt. David Cannan, a police spokesman. The man was a known gang member in his early 20s on parole for a robbery conviction, he said.

Police found the man hiding under the porch of a nearby house, Cannan said. He ignored officers' orders to come out and shot the police dog that was sent in to subdue him.

Officers returned fire and killed the suspect
, Cannan said.

Police airlifted the wounded dog - Ranger, a 4-year-old Belgian Malinois - to a veterinary hospital in Irvine, Cannan said. Television news footage showed an apparently distraught officer running from the helicopter cradling Ranger in his arms.

The bullet passed through Ranger but some fragments were embedded in his lungs, Cannan said. The dog died during surgery to remove the fragments, he said.

''We held out hope because dogs are resilient, most animals are,'' said Cannan, a former canine officer. ''I feel and sympathize with the handler. I know what he's going through. He just lost a partner.''

Cannan declined to identify the parolee until his relatives are notified of his death.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Officers returned fire and killed the suspect

Only good thing about this story.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok.. they killed the guy in the end, so in the future, just skip the step of sending in the dog.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
We don't send on K-9's for armed suspects. We call out SWAT (That stands for Sit Wait And Talk), if anything goes in to get him out it will be bullets, gas, or Mr flash bang........................probably after the usual 6-12 hour wait. Or even better, once our SWAT team is exhausted, we'll call for another team to relieve our team................................
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Ranger, for all you did.
Sleep well boy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]
would have been really ironic if it had been the ATFs dog that got shot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Better the dog than the officer. They'll get another one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
What did they expect him to surrender to the dog?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Losing a K9 is just like losing a human officer.....Thank you Ranger for your service
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually, yes. After a nibble or two.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

yea..not sure what kind of policy is in place for that. didnt seem like the smartest procedure. maybe they didnt know he was armed. too bad, im sure the dog was more of an asset to society then the banger would ever hope to be.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The human officers have a choice to do that kind of work,the K-9's dont .

Nice sentiment you have there. Im sure the dogs handler feels exactly as you do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The human officers have a choice to do that kind of work,the K-9's dont .

Nice sentiment you have there. Im sure the dogs handler feels exactly as you do.

If the dog's handler assigns human characteristics to property owned by the department, he's going to be broken up about it. I on the other hand see it for what it is: The death of an expensive animal. I have tried my darndest, and I just can't shed even one tear for the death of an animal. I kill animals routinely, toss their dead flesh over hot coals, and eat them. I shot a rabbit yesterday because it was ruining my wife's garden. I tossed his carcass in the burn pile. The fact that some people keep rabbits as pets means nothing to me. It's an animal, and a pesky one at that.

"Ranger" doesn't get a pass. He's not human, he's a dog. Alot of money was spent on that dog during it's life for training, food, shelter, etc. If the parolee blew up a police car, I'd feel about the same as I do now: Upset that a felon destroyed taxpayer funded property.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Sociopath. You need to get a heart tin man. My dogs are like cousins. I will mourn them if they pass.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If the dog's handler assigns human characteristics to property owned by the department, he's going to be broken up about it. I on the other hand see it for what it is: The death of an expensive animal. I have tried my darndest, and I just can't shed even one tear for the death of an animal. I kill animals routinely, toss their dead flesh over hot coals, and eat them. I shot a rabbit yesterday because it was ruining my wife's garden. I tossed his carcass in the burn pile. The fact that some people keep rabbits as pets means nothing to me. It's an animal, and a pesky one at that.

"Ranger" doesn't get a pass. He's not human, he's a dog. Alot of money was spent on that dog during it's life for training, food, shelter, etc. If the parolee blew up a police car, I'd feel about the same as I do now: Upset that a felon destroyed taxpayer funded property.

The words of a sociopath.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Pay back is a bitch ain't it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sociopath. You need to get a heart tin man. My dogs are like cousins. I will mourn them if they pass.

Bah, what's with the sociopath stuff? I'm one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. I just don't get emotional over animals. I don't fault anyone else that does, I know the little guys are lovable and all. All I originally said, was "Better the dog than the officer. They'll get another one". I still think I'm right: It's better that an animal died, and they are going to get another one. It's easier to score a GSD than it is another human. Alot of animals are killed every day. We only get emotional over dogs, because we elevate their status. I consider them "cool as hell", but I never elevate them to friend status, as I would another human. I don't fault anyone else that does, however. I just want people to keep things in perspective.

To me, all animals are animals. None are any better than another. I know this is a minority opinion, but it certainly doesn't make me a sociopath.

If one of your dogs dies, I'm not going to belittle your emotions over it. I know it'll hurt, and that's fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top