Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:08:11 AM EDT
Below are two videos of the F5 Tornado that tore through Parkersburg, IA. The first video is the Security Camera Footage from inside a Bank. The second is an outside camera that records the complete destruction of a home. These videos show the unbelievable power of a F5 Tornado.

I hope no one was inside that home. I truly feel for the people who get caught in a storm like that.

Interior Bank Security Camera Footage

Outside Camera of Home Being Destroyed
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
That's some scary sh!t!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#4]
People talk about prepping for when the SHTF, but there is virtually no way to prep for that. If that hits you all you can do is pray and hope its not your time to go.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow........
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
People talk about prepping for when the SHTF, but there is virtually no way to prep for that. If that hits you all you can do is pray and hope its not your time to go.

Eh?

There's plenty    you can do to prep for that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow...that was humbling.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh?

If you have everything you need in an extremely hardened shelter, preferrably one underground and you are in that Shelter at the moment it hits then you would be fine. If you are at work, away from home, can't get to your shelter, or you have your preps stored outside the shelter, like alot of people do, in a home that is hit like that in the video then your toast. That's why I said there is virtually no way. It's not impossible but everything has to be right and in place at the exact moment that it happens. Which I would say most people are not prepared for.

It's definitely a wake up to people to show how devestating a powerful storm can be.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey I have my vest and hard hat nearby ready to jump into the bath tub.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh?

If you have everything you need in an extremely hardened shelter, preferrably one underground and you are in that Shelter at the moment it hits then you would be fine. If you are at work, away from home, can't get to your shelter, or you have your preps stored outside the shelter, like alot of people do, in a home that is hit like that in the video then your toast. That's why I said there is virtually no way. It's not impossible but everything has to be right and in place at the exact moment that it happens. Which I would say most people are not prepared for.

It's definitely a wake up to people to show how devestating a powerful storm can be.

Most people in tornado alley though are prepped. In Iowa - probably not so much. But in Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc. more so.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats incredible
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey I have my vest and hard hat nearby ready to jump into the bath tub.

That Bath Tub better have a Seat Belt and Roll Cage. Also make sure to have your video camera ready cause that will be one hell of a ride and we would all like to see the video.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh?

Most people in tornado alley though are prepped. In Iowa - probably not so much. But in Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc. more so.

I was born and raised in Oklahoma and lived there for 20 years. I can tell you that most people are prepared. But they are not prepared for that. That requires a whole different level of preparation that most people do not have the money, time, or are willing to put the effort into. An F2 or F3 Storm which is more common is not as big a deal and most people and homes can survive them. F4 and above and the rules of the game change dramatically.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh?

Maybe in FL, but in the midwest, people are under heightened alert when severe weather threatens.  It is actually pretty infrequent that a freak storm will develop and hit an area that isn't under at least a severe thunderstorm watch.

Just like earthquakes, fire, and hurricane, the best thing you can do it prepare, plan and pay attention!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh?

I was born and raised in Oklahoma and lived there for 20 years. I can tell you that most people are prepared. But they are not prepared for that. That requires a whole different level of preparation that most people do not have the money, time, or are willing to put the effort into. An F2 or F3 Storm which is more common is not as big a deal and most people and homes can survive them. F4 and above and the rules of the game change dramatically.

The only difference between hunkering down for an F2 tornado, and hunkering down for an  F5 tornado, is the number of hail mary's you send before it hits, and the square mileage of the debris field later.

Otherwise the prep is the same.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We're plenty prepped here in Iowa.  Though we're right on the edge of tornado alley, we still see enough of 'em to be prepared.

Everyone who died in the Parkersburg tornado was roughly 50 years or older, most being in their 70s.  That means they probably didn't have enough time to find shelter.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I've heard an F5 can scour the earth down a couple feet even.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Not sure about that, but I have seen photos of F5 tracks, and the earth is scrubbed free of grass growth in places.  In some cases slab foundations have been moved, lifted and cracked.

We have a good basement shelter for a Tornado, but getting out of it afterwards might be troublesome depending on how many huge piles of rubble we are buried under.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Ah... Remembering the days of living in Missouri and Nebraska...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Tagged to watch at home - YouTube is blocked here....

ETA: Having to deal, or potentially deal, with tornados is one of the things that I hated abt being stationed in OK & KS.

Living offpost in a tornado-magnet, my defense was hoping that I'd hear the "Oh shit, a tornado is on it's way" siren so
that I'd have time to run out and jump into the culvert for shelter.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure about that, but I have seen photos of F5 tracks, and the earth is scrubbed free of grass growth in places.  In some cases slab foundations have been moved, lifted and cracked.

We have a good basement shelter for a Tornado, but getting out of it afterwards might be troublesome depending on how many huge piles of rubble we are buried under.  

I am not sure of the "couple of feet" down, but I personally saw the May 3rd '99 F5, and what it did.

Everything that stuck up even a fraction of an inch from the ground... no longer existed.

As for the ground itself, it looked like a plow or gigantic rake had scoured the earth.

Plants, pulled up by their roots, left holes in the ground -- that may give the impression of a "couple of feet" of dirt removal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I bet it was one of those huge bastards that fills up a good part of the horizon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top