Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 11:40:18 PM EDT
Saw the add for it in Shotgun news. Good? Bad? Ugly?

edit: got the name wrong, sorry
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody's played with the Colonel model? Hrmm....and I cant find too many floating on the net. Is Para a so-so product er what?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Paras are fine pistols, I've shot a few, and they seem to be well made and darned accurate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The 3 Paras I have tried have all been unreliable.

With some work, they tend to be pretty good pistols.

The P14-45 LTD that I had... the slide stop broke during the first 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
i think they can be kinda hit or miss, when the run WOW what a great pistol but I have had 3, 2 ran good one i had to send back twice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been considering picking up a Para Warthog as a CCW...local range has one for rent. Guess I should test it out before I look to buy one.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My family loves Para. None of us has purchased any in the last few years though.

Once you replace the extractor (older models, I can't speak to the newer ones) with a Wilson Combat extractor - and replace any mag springs with Wolff, you'll be fine once it's broken in.

Don't know anything about the new Colonel though. I like Para and would recommend them with those two caveats.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've been considering picking up a Para Warthog as a CCW...local range has one for rent. Guess I should test it out before I look to buy one.

Beware the LDA pistols.  I tried a range rental that was brand new out of the box and it fired twice then wouldn't fire at all.  The trigger would pull but with no result.  I'm thinking something in the trigger mechanism broke.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beware the LDA pistols.  I tried a range rental that was brand new out of the box and it fired twice then wouldn't fire at all.  The trigger would pull but with no result.  I'm thinking something in the trigger mechanism broke.

This is the Warthog...no LDA here

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the Warthog...no LDA here

I wasn't sure if it was LDA or not.  I know a lot of their tiny pistols are LDA.  Either way, be warned...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I wasn't sure if it was LDA or not.  I know a lot of their tiny pistols are LDA.  Either way, be warned...

I've fired their LDA stuff before...while it worked just fine for me and I kind of liked it, I don't like the trigger. When I pick up a 1911, I want it to have a 1911's trigger..straight back, not a pivot.

And, I've heard the LDA breakage horror stories as well

To get back to the original...what was the Colonel one? Can someone point it out on the paraord web site?

(Nothing there says "Colonel..")
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe Lt Col

I was looking at their full-sized SSP model (single stack, single action), but I didn't like the look of the "chromed" controls on a black weapon. I ended up buying a Kimber instead.

I'd buy a Para, though. They have a ramped barrel, and the Power Extractor seems like a good idea. I think they did come out with an all-black model now, too. BTW, I believe their SA triggers are plastic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I had an old Para, a 1990 model, that ran like a champ.  Always worked.  I added Novak sights with trijicon inserts, and that was my carry/range gun for years.  Never did anything else to it other than replace the recoil spring after a few years.  Mags got REAL expensive a few years into the ban though.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've fired their LDA stuff before...while it worked just fine for me and I kind of liked it, I don't like the trigger. When I pick up a 1911, I want it to have a 1911's trigger..straight back, not a pivot.

And, I've heard the LDA breakage horror stories as well

To get back to the original...what was the Colonel one? Can someone point it out on the paraord web site?

(Nothing there says "Colonel..")

www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=53  its got the LDA trigger

well if that trigger is so bad, hows about someone recommend a doublestack  .45 (preferably a 1911 type) that you find quite enjoyable and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#14]
The only thing wrong with them is they're made in Canada.  Otherwise they are great guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#15]
My daily carry is a Para Tac-Four with the LDA. I've probably got 500 rounds through it with minimal problems. Occasional failure to feed, problem seems to be getting less frequent as I put more rounds through it. I love the LDA trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top