Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 8:41:01 AM EDT

http://news.sky.com/story/1683926/parachutist-crash-lands-as-he-delivers-ball

The Australian Navy paratrooper reportedly suffered a broken pelvis and delayed the match between Sydney Swans and West Coast.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Proof that God hates soccer.  Hope he recovers.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Aussie rules football
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Some rigger has had a really bad week.  First the Humvees now this guy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Aussie rules football
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aussie rules football

You mean rugby?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You mean rugby?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aussie rules football

You mean rugby?

no

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

no

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aussie rules football

You mean rugby?

no

He means soccer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Can people who know about parachutes analyze why that happened?

He was coming in pretty fast, but was it a non-fully deployed chute, or a last second change in the shape of the chute that seemed to happen (a wind gust?) that doomed him?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Aussie rules isn't soccer or rugby (either code).  It's another thing entirely that's actually really cool to watch.

They play it on a cricket oval. Which is very big.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Comin' in HOT!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Came in hot
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I almost nailed Dick Cheney on a demo jump in '89.  We jumped into a small soccer stadium and it had been raining all morning. The field was like a lake, I came in hot, flared late and "water skied" right at him. I stopped about 4 or 5 feet in front of him and his detail jumped in front to protect him. Kind of funny and he clapped.

BTW that was probably some of the coldest I've ever been. It was a timed jump, waiting on him to exit the building so were in a holding pattern at 10k AGL for over about 45 min. It was March and about 35 degree on the ground. I was sitting in the hell hole of a Huey B model and it had to be about minus 50 at that altitude and wind speed. I got so cold that I formed a C with my right had so I could pull my rip cord if my hand froze. I contempated just saying fuck it and falling out....
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He was coming in pretty fast, but was it a non-fully deployed chute, or a last second change in the shape of the chute that seemed to happen (a wind gust?) that doomed him?
View Quote

Looks like a low hook turn and had an end cell closure. That's fine at 500'.....it's not fine at 50'.  I've jumped a bunch of stadiums and winds get squirrelly going over the lip but once you're inside it's usually GTG. That's why guys pull these low hook turns. Occasioanlly though you'll get some cross winds and they can bite you hard that low.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some rigger has had a really bad week.  First the Humvees now this guy.
View Quote

That wasn't the rigger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I almost nailed Dick Cheney on a demo jump in '89.  We jumped into a small soccer stadium and it had been raining all morning. The field was like a lake, I came in hot, flared late and "water skied" right at him. I stopped about 4 or 5 feet in front of him and his detail jumped in front to protect him. Kind of funny and he clapped.
View Quote

^ made me chuckle, i can see it happening
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a good thing he wasn't holding a shotgun
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will say that he was extraordinarily well informed on our gear and mission. He knew shit about radios that commo guys didn't know...really liked being around troops as well. Those were the days when POTUS and SecDef actually loved America.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Micro-burst.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#20]
That's odd.   I always thought gravity worked the opposite in the southern hemisphere?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#21]
The last guy came in hot like a boss.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

He made a turn on his approach about stadium height, increasing his speed, maybe on purpose maybe not but it was low turn. Before his parachute could recover to steady state flight, he caught a rotor from the stadium across the front of his canopy. That stalled the right side of the canopy causing the left side to fly around in front and as it re-inflated it turned right - too low for him to recover from the turn.

Each time you turn a ram air parachute, you act as a pendulum underneath and swing out to the side and swinging back underneath, each swing increases speed and descent rate. You must recover from the pendulum effect to steady state flight before you flare for landing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's odd.   I always thought gravity worked the opposite in the southern hemisphere?
View Quote

No, it's the toilets that swirl backwards.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Aussie rules football
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aussie rules football
Oh yeah then why dont they ever play in the superbowl?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh. Demo jump into a stadium and hit a crosswind. He's lucky it didn't happen a little higher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top