Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/27/2010 8:29:15 PM EDT
Would you help them if they weren't such douchebags and liars?
I've driven otr for years and when I'm in a generous mood I might help them out.  
Here's my story
Flying J in MO - Someone was looking for money, said they were hungry.  I came out of the truck stop with a slice of pepperoni as big as my head and a coke.  He was estatic and thanked me about 12 times.
State of VA, at a waffle house...out of the woods comes this bum. He wants money for food. I offered to invite him in with me, anything you want is on me.  He got all pissy and stormed off to who knows where.
South carolina, saw a bum holding a sign saying "I wont lie, all I want is a beer!"  I gave him a five spot.
Dayton OH, a bum wanted food.....I told him I'd bring him out some pizza and a coke, he wasn't happy with that and almost assaulted me.
Somewhere in CA, in the desert at a truckstop.  2 hitch hikers were sitting behind my trailer, a guy and gal.  Hmm, I'm going to give them a little gift package.  I put a six pack of bottled root beer, a handfull of granola bars and 2 sticks of gum in a bag and gave it to them and wished them luck.  They never even thanked me.  
So gd, what stories do you have to share?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Used to try to help...not any more...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
About ten years ago in South Beach Florida I saw a homless man standing next to a tree in a park shivering , it was a real windy night but not that cold. I felt bad and tried to talk to him but he would not respond so I went to find a police officer to see if he could help. When I took the police officer to the homeless guy he said their was nothing he could do , I said why can't you take him to a shelter he said first he would have to call in a unit to do a mental health exam if the homeless guy agreed and that he would not agree. So I ended up not really helping the guy and left . I feel I should have done more, at this point in time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

About ten years ago in South Beach Florida I saw a homless man standing next to a tree in a park shivering , it was a real windy night but not that cold. I felt bad and tried to talk to him but he would not respond so I went to find a police officer to see if he could help. When I took the police officer to the homeless guy he said their was nothing he could do , I said why can't you take him to a shelter he said first he would have to call in a unit to do a mental health exam if the homeless guy agreed and that he would not agree. So I ended up not really helping the guy and left . I feel I should have done more, at this point in time.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen a LOT more of them around here lately.

The one that really stood out was a fat lady with a sign that read "I'd rather beg than steal".
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure we will see plenty of homeless hate in this thread, as we always see with such threads in GD, but...

I will always find a way to give what I can (even if it is little) out of kindness and not let myself become jaded because of a bad one here and there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My stories mirror yours.

I don't bother anymore.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a guy approach me outside the super market.
"Can you help me? My kid need some diapers".
Me: "Where's your kid"?
"Over there"
Me: "OK. Lets go in and get you some diapers"
"Never mind"
Me:  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm sure we will see plenty of homeless hate in this thread, as we always see with such threads in GD, but...

I will always find a way to give what I can (even if it is little) out of kindness and not let myself become jaded because of a bad one here and there.

Yep.  I can now with 80% (I think) success sniff out the ones that want the $ for booze and smokes.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My stories mirror yours.

I don't bother anymore.

Next one that asks me for money is doing pushups.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't solicit people and require the same from them. I tell them to fuck off and get away from me. If they wanna escalate from their that's their decision to make.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I really wish they would open season on those worthless D-bags. probably 10-20% are mentally ill and the rest are walking flesh bags not worth the airspace they take up. I have seen a real increase in my area in the past couple years. I get a kick out of seeing them standing in the middle of the street holding a sign begging and not 20 ft away is some kid holding a sign for an oil change place or a GNC who is WORKING for an honest living. Yet they are both doing physically identical things. Sad part is the damn bums make about 3 or more time what the kid is making. Makes me sick to my stomach.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll help em if they are honest.  I had some homeless gutter punk tell me he wanted money for "Beer and high heels"...  This is a guy mind you...  I gave him a $10 and he was very grateful

Whenever they give me some bullshit about their car being broke down or needing money for the bus...  Not gonna happen
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to hit my windshield wash/wipers when they'd would walk up to me on a major street corner in a big city to clean my windows.

Looking back, I wish I would have had a point and shoot to take a pic of the look on their face.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'll help em if they are honest.  I had some homeless gutter punk tell me he wanted money for "Beer and high heels"...  This is a guy mind you...  I gave him a $10 and he was very grateful

Whenever they give me some bullshit about their car being broke down or needing money for the bus...  Not gonna happen

Exactly.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm no bible banger, but

1 John 3:17-18
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

I help when I can; if they want to use it on booze, thats not my business.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I stopped giving handouts when I saw a fella with a sign:

"Homeless vet, starving, please help."

I pulled up alongside him and gave him a new MRE (still in date, rib patty no less) and he thanked me up and down for it.

As I was driving off, I see him toss it in the trashcan.  At least 2 meals worth of food for a 'starving' guy, gone.

Fuck him with a rake.

I've been there. He wanted the $ for a fifth of whisky.

Good on you though for having a heart.    Right or wrong on your part, you did the right thing.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Had a guy approach me outside the super market.
"Can you help me? My kid need some diapers".
Me: "Where's your kid"?
"Over there"
Me: "OK. Lets go in and get you some diapers"
"Never mind"
Me:  

That's a pretty common one.  
"my 4 girls are sitting in the car and I have no gas"  From Fayetteville, NC

I live in Colorado Springs now.  You can't go down town without some bums asking you for money.  Or leaving the 8th St Walmart.  Fucking bums everywhere.  I hate them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Why I do not go into downtown portland if I can help it.  NAMBLA Adams and his council of commies have paved the way for violent panhandlers and nothing to be done about it.
There USED to be a business man who paid them a few bucks under the table and a meal to hold a sign not to panhandle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I've offered food to several with the "hungry" signs, only to have them get mad at me.

One guy claiming to be a metalworker on his way to the next city, and he ran out of gas and wanted some gas money... so I offered to buy him a gas can and fill it.  He said no thanks.

After seeing a "bum" walk behind a restaurant and drive off with a convertible Mercedes... I am no longer inclined to help.  

The exception I make from time to time is the guy with a "NEED BEER" sign you occasionally see.  If I'm coming from the grocery store and I've got beer, I'll pass one out the window.  I've NEVER had one decline or be upset.  They are always happy!  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
When my canned foods expire I put them in my car sometimes and give them out to the dozens of homeless douchenozzles that seem to float around Austin.  I just love to the the look of disappointment so many of them give me after I excitedly beckon them to my car screaming I have a gift for them.  Works best when I pull the can out of a liquor bag filled with bottles.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Just recently I pulled into a Gas City. Saw a fairly clean cut young guy sitting buy the entrance, sitting next to him was a gas can. As people walked in and out the entrance he didn't talk to anyone just sat there quite and stoic. As I entered to finish my business I handed him a twenty. He looked me in the eye said thank you sir. Leapt up went inside got a few food items  and got his gas can filled and disappeared into the night.

We stayed and got some A&W before we continued on down the inner state. I then saw him driving buy in an old hooptie with his woman and a couple of kids  they were parking near Gas City ..I whistled him over talkedwith him and gave him an additional $120.00. He didn't want to take it, but I insisted.   They fell on bad times, since he left Iraq 18 months ago.and were headed back to OK where they had family. If he couldn't find work there he was going to re-enlist.

You never really know......
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#23]
A panhandler is why my last relationship took a nose dive.  Panhandler approached her side of the car window was half way down.  Pulled sig 229 he ran like Forest Gump.  She told me a few days later I was to gun crazy and didn't feel safe with me carrying a gun. Along with saying if we moved in together I would have to get rid of my guns and gear.  We know how all that goes.  Me and all of my stuff are still in Mom's basement
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
My favorite was a guy saying he needed gas money to get back to his family in New Mexico. He was wearing an Arizona Diamondback's hat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

A panhandler is why my last relationship took a nose dive.  Panhandler approached her side of the car window was half way down.  Pulled sig 229 he ran like Forest Gump.  She told me a few days later I was to gun crazy and didn't feel safe with me carrying a gun. Along with saying if we moved in together I would have to get rid of my guns and gear.  We know how all that goes.  Me and all of my stuff are still in Mom's basement

You pulled your weapon on a guy who approached your window without showing any signs of aggression?

I'd dump your ass too.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Used to try to help...not any more...

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I wasn't around for this one, but I wish I had been:

Good friend and his brother are out walking around downtown, and a bum walks up and asks them for money.  Friend immediately goes into 'Sorry, don't have any cash, etc.' and his brother figures this could actually wind up being entertaining.  He tells the bum he'll give him $10 if he smacks himself in the face with a chunk of wood lying in the alley nearby.  
The bum's eyes light up at the thought of $10, so he picks up the board and gives himself a little love tap, fakes an 'owwww', and then asks for his $10.  The brother, as I was told, apparently told the bum that he said *smack* himself in the face, and that weak ass love tap was not a smack.  He could do it right and get his money, or be a pussy and walk away.
The brother pulls out the 10 spot to show he's serious, so the bum tries again.  Another weak ass hit, more taunting, asks the bum if he should just put his money away and find someone who can actually earn it.  The bum really wants the money at this point, so widens his stance, and does a full-on between the legs swing.  
The impact knocked the bum out cold instantly, he was still breathing, but unconscious.  They stuffed the $10 down the bums shirt and hauled ass out of there, I doubt they stopped laughing the entire night - he still can't tell the story without cracking up.

ETA:
I keep meaning to start carrying around a few of those crystal light flavor tubes with me just for these interactions - I've heard that trying to eat an entire packet at once is damned near impossible, much like a spoonful of cinnamon.  Bonus points for this is that the fucking stuff stains the shit of your skin - completely worth the price if anyone can manage it, but 9/10 you'll walk away with your money in your pocket and something to laugh at for a week.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The one time I've helped a homeless I didn't regret it. it was this older black guy. He was looking for food especially hard because he was a diabetic and needed to keep his blood sugar in check but also needed money for a taxi to make it to the shelter a few exits down the freeway. I gave him a 20 and next time I saw him he had a soft pretzel in his hands walking towards the exit of the mall so i like to think he was an honest guy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Good friend and his brother are out walking around downtown, and a bum walks up and asks them for money.  Friend immediately goes into 'Sorry, don't have any cash, etc.' and his brother figures this could actually wind up being entertaining.  He tells the bum he'll give him $10 if he smacks himself in the face with a chunk of wood lying in the alley nearby.  

The bum's eyes light up at the thought of $10, so he picks up the board and gives himself a little love tap, fakes an 'owwww', and then asks for his $10.  The brother, as I was told, apparently told the bum that he said *smack* himself in the face, and that weak ass love tap was not a smack.  He could do it right and get his money, or be a pussy and walk away.

The brother pulls out the 10 spot to show he's serious, so the bum tries again.  Another weak ass hit, more taunting, asks the bum if he should just put his money away and find someone who can actually earn it.  The bum really wants the money at this point, so widens his stance, and does a full-on between the legs swing.  

The impact knocked the bum out cold instantly, he was still breathing, but unconscious.  They stuffed the $10 down the bums shirt and hauled ass out of there, I doubt they stopped laughing the entire night - he still can't tell the story without cracking up.

How old are you?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You pulled your weapon on a guy who approached your window without showing any signs of aggression?

I'd dump your ass too.  

Not a very good firearms owner, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd dump your ass too.  

No kidding.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just recently I pulled into a Gas City. Saw a fairly clean cut young guy sitting buy the entrance, sitting next to him was a gas can. As people walked in and out the entrance he didn't talk to anyone just sat there quite and stoic. As I entered to finish my business I handed him a twenty. He looked me in the eye said thank you sir. Leapt up went inside got a few food items  and got his gas can filled and disappeared into the night.

We stayed and got some A&W before we continued on down the inner state. I then saw him driving buy in an old hooptie with his woman and a couple of kids  they were parking near Gas City ..I whistled him over talkedwith him and gave him an additional $120.00. He didn't want to take it, but I insisted.   They fell on bad times, since he left Iraq 18 months ago.and were headed back to OK where they had family. If he couldn't find work there he was going to re-enlist.

May God bless you sir, and return your generosity a hundred fold.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd dump your ass too.  

Not saying what he did was right, since i wasn't there and don't know the details, but i have discreetly unholstered my glock at a stoplight when i was being approached by some of the cities finest citizens. But i am a little gunshy (ha ha) since i was carjacked in the early 90's by a guy who approached me looking for "spare change" and i will not have that happen again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I help case by case.

I don't like seeing someone go hungry or keep walking past someone freezing.

I don't expect others to help or condemn ones that don't help.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How old are you?

If you think having a few laughs at the expense of a professional con artist is immature, then I may as well be 12 years old.  I get accosted by these bums damned near everywhere in Dallas, and it's a constant pain in the ass.  They bother you when you're pumping gas, walking to your car in a parking lot, you name it.  If they want money, why don't they go get a fucking job just like everyone else and leave me the hell alone?
These cocksuckers aren't even decent enough to try to come up with a credible story most of the time, it's just "Yo man, you gots a dollar?".  If they want the dollars that I 'gots', they had better be fucking prepared to earn them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I like to ask them for money as they're walking up to me. Throws them into instant vapor lock.

The ones who I think might be seriously in a bind, I'll offer to buy them food.

I've never had one accept.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I met some hobos while camping/fishing in the Feather River canyon one summer evening many years ago. Later on I visited  their camp and left them with a can of spam.  They had nothing but rags and fire burned cans but their eyes were bright when they saw the can of pink goodness.
  I then quietly and quickly moved my stuff upslope and into the bushes, for these were scary dudes and I sure dijdn't want to meet this pair in the dark.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I hope we have a very cold winter.

I have literally offered food in my hand and Union Mission vouchers on several occasions and have always been shut down by the "needy."
F*ck em
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Panhandlers, bums and the homeless...

These people CHOOSE to live that way via a myriad of different psychological disorders.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Seems like you have it worked out. Help judiciously.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I have never given a homeless person a dollar, and i never will.

there are charitable orginizations that help them, if they want the help. I have donated to my church, and other orginizations. I prefer to donate to charities that help with families of our soldiers, like the SOWF.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#42]

As a general rule I don't give them any money. I have a lot of them come to the store asking if there is something they can do to earn a cup of coffee or a donut. I can't do that for liability reasons, For a 59 cent cup of joe, I can help them out with that. I also put them in touch with the mission, and my city will give out 10 dollar food vouchers that they can spend on food in our store

On year at a different store, I was heading out after close and there was a bum in a wheel chair under the awning trying to get some sleep. It was around 25 degrees out, and all he had on was jeans and a sweatshirt. I had an old sleeping bag in my car, so I offered that to him, and he gladly accepted. I also ran acroos the street to the denny's and got him a hot cup of coffee.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

No you dont! I had a conversation with a coworker who is the real life Ned Flanders about situations like this. He said listen to what the Holy Spirit is telling you. I think you listened!

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I help them because they ask for and need help, without respect to their character or anything else.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I help case by case.

I don't like seeing someone go hungry or keep walking past someone freezing.

I don't expect others to help or condemn ones that don't help.

This. I will help someone in need if I can, but here in So FL you usually get disappointed for the reasons in this thread, so you have to be very selective. One thing I don't do is mess with them, I figure they have enough problems if they're out on the streets.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#47]
We have a lot of homeless guys, i always buy arbies and then drive past, they never turn it down.

I have no idea how they decide to live in Grand Forks but they do, if I was homeless i would save up for the bus ticket to san fran, i hear they are nice to the homeless

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#48]

I pretend I only speak German.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I won't help the ect ones also known as ectomorphs...they look skinny from having a high metabolism.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:44:24 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm visiting some family in Portland, OR.  There are professional, full-time beggars out here.  Some of these jerks live in nice houses and drive nice cars, but they're making all their money by begging.  

There was an article in a local paper about some of these pros who hang around Wal-Mart mostly (among other retail stores) and make $50,000+ a year.  One guy was quoted saying he has special "begging clothes" that he wears while "working," and he leaves his regular clothes in his Escalade that's parked nearby.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top