Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2013 5:30:12 AM EDT
Palmetto has their rear folding sight on sale, which I need half a dozen of for rifles I bought for my kids.  It's hard committing to buying 6 Troy sights.  

The reviews on this sight and the complete set have a lot of complaints, mainly about them being too loose, which is obviously pretty serious. I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with them.  I know there's a thread in the Industry forum, but that page is full of fan bois, embittered trolls, and is slow on the traffic.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#1]
MAGPULS new BUIS is STEEL...getting pretty good reviews...

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG276/44
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for more info on the PSA brand BUIS. I too am interested in them but I am skittish due to some of the reviews. At least PSA is honestly posting the reviews on their website.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
A $40 BUIS sounds too good to be true.  In for educated and informative posts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting, and honestly I never thought I'd see magpul step into the realm of steel anything, but if I'm dropping $100 I'm buying Troy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm seeing the same thing, OP, as far as the mixed-to-poor reviews.  In for info from someone with experience...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Check the PSA forum, lots of discussion on them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interesting, and honestly I never thought I'd see magpul step into the realm of steel anything, but if I'm dropping $100 I'm buying Troy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks metal injection molded; should be right up their alley.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine came with an aimpoint. They adjust well and stay steady when in the up positioon. The way theyy mount leaves something to be desired. You torque em down with an allen key and they pinch together by squeezing the sight base that has a slot cut in it to allow for the squeeze.  If they wernt 8 bucks extra I would be slightly annoyed. But they function and the price is decent. I have all ready replaced the rear with a used troy, and the front will be going in the parts bin as soon as I can find a better front sight used for cheap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:03:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Matechs can be had on Ebay for $30
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine came with an aimpoint. They adjust well and stay steady when in the up positioon. The way theyy mount leaves something to be desired. You torque em down with an allen key and they pinch together by squeezing the sight base that has a slot cut in it to allow for the squeeze.  If they wernt 8 bucks extra I would be slightly annoyed. But they function and the price is decent. I have all ready replaced the rear with a used troy, and the front will be going in the parts bin as soon as I can find a better front sight used for cheap.
View Quote

Disappointing.  The last thing I'm looking for is more spare parts.  Do you think the rear sights can take remounting a couple of times, or with it stress the part of the sight that is being pinched too much?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I checked Primary Arms to see if they still had the Troy BUIS rear = $77 and front = $79 sale going on, but nah, they went back to normal prices.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I checked Primary Arms to see if they still had the Troy BUIS rear = $77 and front = $79 sale going on, but nah, they went back to normal prices.
View Quote

I did jump on that and pick up 2 for that price.  I guess I'll do that whenever they come up over the years.  My kids are young, I'm in no hurry.  Seems to me sights are the last thing you want to skimp on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a set.  They are pretty well machined for the money. They clamp no different than magpul mbus. The reason people have an issue with the clamping is they are afraid to over tighten the screw.  The steel threaded insert has a self locking tab that takes some torque to initially overcome. Crank it down and they will stay tight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I did jump on that and pick up 2 for that price.  I guess I'll do that whenever they come up over the years.  My kids are young, I'm in no hurry.  Seems to me sights are the last thing you want to skimp on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.    

Good luck on your quest.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I'd spend the extra $10 and get DD A1.5's unless you really have your heart set on flip-ups.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I believe they are the ones that come on Sigs, or whoever makes them for each brand is the same manufacturer.

They are alright, backup sights after all.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#21]
They look exactly like the ones that came on my Sig 716. Once you crank them down and decide to remove them they're a bitch to slide of the rail.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Before you drop coin on the Troy, read reviews of their current production sights.  I heard they wobble too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before you drop coin on the Troy, read reviews of their current production sights.  I heard they wobble too.

They redesigned the geometry of their rail interface, and some people have had problems with the rear BUIS being canted. Except one LMT fixed, all of my irons are Troy. I'm not a fan of the DOA aperture on one, but otherwise they've all done everything I expected from a folding rear sight. I also will no longer buy brand new Troy products.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#23]
i was looking for a set without breaking the bank for a scoped ar and considered these. i was also looking at the set cca offers. any insight on those? ill probably never use them being on a target ar but want a set anyway
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I just got my black Friday uppers in, and they came with the flip-up sites. Out of three pairs, I have one front and one rear which are loose, even though the screw is so tight I can't turn it either direction. They seem like a good site, but I'm not sure about the mounting method.

Or, maybe I just need to man handle it? I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to torque.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They redesigned the geometry of their rail interface, and some people have had problems with the rear BUIS being canted. Except one LMT fixed, all of my irons are Troy. I'm not a fan of the DOA aperture on one, but otherwise they've all done everything I expected from a folding rear sight. I also will no longer buy brand new Troy products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine your decision has to do with the political situation surrounding Troy now, right?  I'm not overly concerned with that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Troy makes good gear. Their business practices and anti-2nd employees has all but guaranteed they'll never see another .01 of my $$.

To many other companies that actually stand with liberty minded people to patronize. Troy Industries can suck it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Well, shit.  I just ordered one to go with my PSA 12" A1 upper.  It is a BUIS, but I hope it still works ok.  

Has anyone tried shimming it lightly to help the torque issue?  I am talking extremely thin shimming here...just curious.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Troy makes good gear. Their business practices and anti-2nd employees has all but guaranteed they'll never see another .01 of my $$.

To many other companies that actually stand with liberty minded people to patronize. Troy Industries can suck it.
View Quote

Sorry to say, me too
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/242619_More_really_exciting_news_from_ST_.html&page=2#i2215560
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sorry to say, me too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to say, me too

I DON'T CARE IF THEY ARE FREE.

FUCK TROY.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
My God thats economical
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Palmetto has their rear folding sight on sale, which I need half a dozen of for rifles I bought for my kids.  It's hard committing to buying 6 Troy sights.  

The reviews on this sight and the complete set have a lot of complaints, mainly about them being too loose, which is obviously pretty serious. I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with them.  I know there's a thread in the Industry forum, but that page is full of fan bois, embittered trolls, and is slow on the traffic.
View Quote

My Sig M400E came with that sight, it seems solid.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

+1
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I imagine your decision has to do with the political situation surrounding Troy now, right?  I'm not overly concerned with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does, and that's the beauty of being a consumer. I can vote with my tiny wallet, and am not overly concerned with what other consumers do. Many Idahoans still remember Ruby Ridge, the court decision, and the Congressional reports. Troy tried to hide behind a thin corporate veil while clearly gunning for a target demographic unfriendly to civilian shooters. I went out of my way to support Troy as a consumer after the Dick's fiasco. Steve Troy made it clear what his corporate stance is. I disagree with it, and choose to support other companies. I have never encountered a single law enforcement officer in MA that is a friend to private gun owners (including Mr. Troy's response), and this reminded me of just one of many reasons I left that state.

I have no significant product-related complaints about my multiple sets of BUIS, rail, sling, etc. My sights also were, IIRC, made before the redesign.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another +1.  I think I had three in my parts bin that I picked up too cheap to pass up just waiting for builds.  I just built a sub $600 PSA rifle and threw one on it.  Hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I too can vouch for the new Troy design being fucking stupid. Politics aside, I won't be buying another Troy BUIS. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#37]
There a reason you're not considering Magpuls polymer sights?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've played with a set and they are definitely quality.  On par with KAC.  I'd say they are nicer than the Troys I have on one of my carbines.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#39]
How do you ensure that the Matech BUIS for $30 on ebay aren't counterfeit, or stolen US property?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top