Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2002 10:48:58 AM EDT
Been looking for a good Palm Pilot for a few days and am baffled/befuddled by all the sizes/makes/modles avaible.

I'm looking for something that has 8 megs of memory for downloading a few semi large study guides/quizes/emergency reference material (firefighter/EMT) and runs on rechargable batteries.

On Palm's website they offer refurbished Palm Vx for $139, is this a good deal???

How do rebuilt units compare to new???
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're just looking for a basic (non-color) unit, with no provisions for expansin cartridges or memory (other than the 8mb), you may want to consider the Palm M105 (8mb version of the M100).  It's the second lowest (second cheapest) unit, but the 8mb will give you the memory you need.  However, it doesn't have the rechargeable batteries.  Rechargeable batteries are only good for the color, expandable units because they eat up so much power that replacing the batteries every day would be a pain in the ass.  However, the simpler B&W units don't use up that much power.  I replace the two AAA batteries in mine about once a month (or a little more).  You can find these batteries anywhere and carry A YEARS worth of power in your briefcase.  Otherwise, you have to carry a charger with you or keep it in the cradle.

Personally, I stayed away from the higher-end units because they change so fast, you never know what's coming next.  With my M105, I don't worry, because I didn't plop down $400+ in the first place.  If my M105 was stolen or lost, I'd be pissed, but not suicidal.  A programmer I work with had his Casio CE machine ($550 new) stolen about a year ago and he's still depressed. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]
$139 for a Vx is a real good deal. Just a few months ago, they were asking $100 for the Palm M100 which doesn't have half the features and less memory. I personally have a Handspring Visor Edge which runs on the same software and I am very happy with it. The nice thing is that everyone and their mother has a palm. Windows CE is catching on as I am sure you have seen and they have better features (Intel: Ipaq, HP: Jordaina (sp?) and a few others) but also cost more. At that price I figure you can't go wrong.

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]
My first one was the IIIe, followed by the IIIxe (which I gave my mother last christmas) and now I am quite happy with the IIIc:
color screen, 8MB memory, rechargeable battery. Bought it at ebay for 90 bucks (came without cradle and had a German OS on it), added a hotsync cradle for $50, flashed the OS from 3.5 German to 4.1 English, increased the speed from 20 to 32 Mhz, and installed Jacksprat and Jackflash, to replace the built in apps with some I liked better and to increase the memory a bit.

These Palm handhelds are no longer in production: [url]http://www.palm.com/products/handhelds/other/[/url]

If I'd have to replace my IIIc right now, I'd look into a Sony Clié with color screen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Palm III with a transparent blue case and stock cradle that I no longer use for EMS stuff. Works fine. Has Palm OS 4.0. Anyone want to trade?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
All,

Until just a few days ago, was a proud owner/operator of a Palm m125.  

For field use, this is the best PDA going:

1. Uses AAA batteries (no need for 110 to recharge)

2. Has an SD slot on the side for backup (if you've been away from your machine for over a week at a time, this is a necessity), expansion, whatever.

3. Small enough to be portable, large enough (screen) to get things done.

4. Graffiti (the OS "input" method) can be learned in about 20 minutes, and speed is built with more use.

[url]www.giftsplash.com[/url] has the best prices going on any PDA, especially Palm.

Why did I get rid of it? Got an offer on a Pocket PC that I couldn't refuse.

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Try checking out Handspring too.  They offer a pretty cheap PDA, plus it has the advantage of an expansion slot for you to add accessories too.  It operates on the same operating system as the Palm PDAs.

[url]www.handspring.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I carry an iPAQ H3650, but that's a tad more machine than you want or need. :)

It's nice when the company pays for your toys. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, the more I look into palm's the less I know about them[>:/][>:/]

What kind of reputation does the Sony Clie 360 have??? Never heard of Sony PDA's before and the few people I know have Palm or Handspring??

Right now I'm caught between the Sony Clie 360 the Handspring Visor Pro and Palm 500. I've found them all on line withing $20.00 od each other with the Palm 500 in new but open box condition.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Thread title: [b]Palm Pilot's[/b]

What belongs to the Palm Pilot?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everything running a version of the Palm OS.
Only the first few models were actually called Pilot, nowadays the handheld computers made by Palm are just called Palm, followed by the model name.

There are of course the Palms made by Palm, plus the ones made by other companies, like the Sony Clié, the Handsprings, Handera 330 (look into that one), TRG, IBM Workpads (relabeled Palms, more or less) and a few others.

Edited to add: Oh, and don't forget the Samsung Smartphone and the Kyocera 6035 (both offered by Sprint, the Kyocera also by QWest). And I'm hooked up with AT&T of course. Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO PALM PILOT! [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top