Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 6:30:28 AM EDT
So, how well does PDR work for hail damage? I keep hearing that paint has a tendency to crack at the site where the dent was removed. Is this true? Is it a viable alternative to body work if the hail dents are relatively small?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Your insurance agent and adjuster will brag about how good a job it does and it will look good for the first few weeks UNTIL the paint starts to crack at the dent site and then finally flakes off.

Metal is bendable, most paint is not unless it's some kind of special urethane mix (which does NOT come stock on cars except on plastic bumper covers)Thus, the metal bends inward with the dent, then bends outward when they put the magnet and the heat to it to remove the dent. Now the metal has bent twice and the paint is still rigid and inflexable.

IMHO, paintless dent repairs is one of the best scams the auto insurance industry has ever pulled over on the consumer. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, how well does PDR work for hail damage? I keep hearing that paint has a tendency to crack at the site where the dent was removed. Is this true? Is it a viable alternative to body work if the hail dents are relatively small?
View Quote

It sucks.

When did your car get bashed? Mine truck got it about a month ago.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, I got it twice. Once in April and then at the first of May. I'm thinking that I won't even have the car repaired. It's a 2000 Grand Am that I got from my grandfathers estate. It didn't cost me anything so I'm not too concerned about what it looks like. And as for resale value, I'll probably end up driving this vehicles until it dies. The insurance money would be of more use to me sitting in the bank than going in to body work.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, contrary to the other opinions here bung have had it done to my BMW, and it made it look perfect.

And no flaking either.  

The guy who did it told me on one small dent that it would rearrange the metal flakes used in the metallic paint, and it would refract the light slightly differently, and he was exactly right.

PDR has not chipped my paint at all, and it was done 2 years ago.  

I will be having it done again from the may hail storm, and I have NO problems with it.

I've seen too many high end cars with it perfetly done.

Just get someone with a good reputation.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey TXL, let me know where you had yours done.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey TXL, let me know where you had yours done.
View Quote

My Father-in-law does this for a living.  Your best bet for finding one is to go to your local car dealer and ask who their dent-guy is.  Ask him if you can see an example of his work (before and after) and you can decide on whether you want him to do your work.

My FIL has probably taken care of a half-dozen dings for me over the past 5 years.  I am never able to see where the dent was originally and I have never had any problems with the paint flaking.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#7]
My B-I-L also does paintless dent repair for a living and he just happens to be working in the D/FW area right now. The stuff I've seen looks good. If you'd like, I can put you in touch with him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had it done and the result was awesome.  This was five years ago and the paint has never cracked.  The only problem I've heard of with hail damage is that there are usually so many dents that at 70-150 bucks a dent it is often cheaper just to replace or fill and paint.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#9]
My g/f's BMW is a dent magnet, and we've had it done through DentPro at least....3, probably 4 times.  Some dents that are too close to the edges of panels can't be taken out because supposedly the metal is bent back over on itself there and their tools can't get in to do the job.  

I'm not sure why some people here are referring to it as the best scam perpetuated by the insurance industry, because we had it done to avoid making a claim on the insurance. The first time we had it done was well over a year ago and have encountered no adverse effects.  

Perhaps the paint on certain makes of cars can withstand the process better than others?  

When I was younger, my family had a piece of shit '89 camaro whose paint had almost completely oxidized off the top surfaces by '91.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#10]
My g/f's BMW is a dent magnet, and we've had it done through DentPro at least....3, probably 4 times.  Some dents that are too close to the edges of panels can't be taken out because supposedly the metal is bent back over on itself there and their tools can't get in to do the job.  

I'm not sure why some people here are referring to it as the best scam perpetuated by the insurance industry, because we had it done to avoid making a claim on the insurance. The first time we had it done was well over a year ago and have encountered no adverse effects.  

Perhaps the paint on certain makes of cars can withstand the process better than others?  

When I was younger, my family had a piece of shit '89 camaro whose paint had almost completely oxidized off the top surfaces by '91.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

What?

Can you repeat that, please?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
bung, the guy i use is the fellow who won best in collin county 2 years running.

however, he is so busy he told me he couldn't get to mine til october, cause it will take 4 days to do.

1 day stuff would be much wuicker.

LEt me find his number and i'll put you in touch

TXL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top