Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/20/2004 9:13:15 PM EST
OK, so I was out shooting my Beretta .22 A out in a field behind my house trying to find some good ammo for it, When out of no were this thunder storm pops up. I go inside to look up the storm on the net to see were it came from...And my mother is telling me, it looks like it is going to hail...Being a dumbass me and my dad ignore her...Well five minutes later all hell breaks lose and it starts hailing golf ball size hail...So now I have 14 dents in my brand new Dodge...I really dont want to pay the $500 for my insurance and was wonder how much paintless dent repair cost...anyone know? or have had this done?...THanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:19:08 PM EST
My Father-in-law does it and charges around $50 per dent, less so if there are more than one dent per panel. Given that you have so many dents, you may be able to get a discount.

Call the dent guy and find out. He'll probably want to take a look at it first.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:22:48 PM EST
dosen't insurance cover that repair, pretty neat to watch the process
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:06:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2004 3:08:52 AM EST by rocko]
$75 for the first dent per panel, $15 each additional per panel here. I got it done about 8-9 months ago, and the guy told me the dents I had would be difficult to come out completely. For the money paid, I was originally thrilled - looked like some rippling in the paint when you looked at it on an angle, but the surface felt smooth. However, since then, the dents have actually seemed to come back a bit - I don't know if this is typical or just because of the difficulty of my dents, but now I can sort of see the individual "poke marks" of the tools they use to push the dents out. Still, for the amount of money, I am satisfied, but realize that it may not come out perfect. From what I was told when researching it myself, everything depends on the skill of the guy doing it, so you may want to ask around first. Used auto lots hire these guys out a lot, so if you happen to know anyone in that business, find out who they use.

However, for the amount of dents you have, you're probably approaching your $500 deductable anyway. Since it would be a no-fault comp claim (and are you sure your deductable is $500 - that's high for comp, although more normal for collision), and not collision, hopefully it won't really effect your rates. If that's the case, it really may be better to submit it to the insurance co. for traditional body repair.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:43:55 AM EST

All depends on the dents. Sheet metal thins as it stretches, when you try to move it back there is usually excess. That's why there is such a thing as a "shrinking" hammer used in the traditional bodyshop.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:34:22 AM EST
I had some work done on my truck and it was $80 per pannel. I had one bad dent at the top outside of the box where I had lost control of a heavy piece of firewood. It was very noticable. After the guy "repaired" it, I can just barely make out were it is. If you didn't know where to look you'd never see it. He used angled rods to pry and bend it back into shape. He spent a lot of time on that one dent; the others went pretty fast. I thought it was well worth the $. Be aware, like everything else in life, some guys (gals too!) are more skilled than others.

I found my guy by observing him coming out of the ford dealer and I wrote down his phone number located on his van and gave him a call. I was having some work done on one of the Toyotas at the dealer and talked to a lady that had been run into by a bike. The dealer had arranged for the guy they use to come over and fix her car for her (a deal between the lady and the fixer).

Point: find out who does the work for the car dealers. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:29:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:37:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2004 9:38:12 AM EST by cyanide]
One time I took my vehicle through a huge snow drift, and made it. When I got home I had a huge dent in the drivers door. I about shit - I took a toilet plunger put Vaseline along the rim of it and pulled the dent out --- worked fine I was so happy, saved me a ton of bucks.
Top Top