Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 1:09:19 PM EDT
I really hate the boring plain old off-white walls that is in every room of the house.  I would at least like to paint the master bedroom and the dining room walls. What is the worse that happens?  They charge me for repainting them when I move out?  How much could that possibly cost?  The current painting looks horrible by the way anyway, it doesn't even look like they used any masking tape or plastic to make sure things that weren't supposed to be painted didn't get painted (because in a lot of cases, there is noticeable overpaint)  I really like this townhouse that I am renting and am going to stay here for at least 2 to 3 years until I am ready to buy my own home.

How much do you think it would cost if they flipped out and wanted to charge me for repainting the walls when I move out?  Would it be worth it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the lease say anything that prohibits painting?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
id ask them. It might be cheaper to repaint it back white before you move out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Plan on returning them to that boring off-white color when you leave...that should be the end of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you'd get into trouble taking another union guys job and all

Truth of the matter though is it could cost you your security deposit...some properties actully budget for a full repaint once the resident moves oout especially if they ave been long term like it sounds like you will be...Costs nothing to ask them before you do anything..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Plan on returning them to that boring off-white color when you leave...that should be the end of it.

Maybe that would be the best way to do it.. Get the cheapest white paint I can find, don't use any masking tape or plastic, make sure there is huge clumps, get plenty of paint on the light switch covers, doors and doorknobs right before I move out and they will suspect that nothing ever happened.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember when we got into a rented house for my years at Junior High.
I repainted at least half of the rooms in the house it not all of them.  I got to bless latex paint (for the cleanup) as well as suddenly learn the difference between gloss and semi-gloss paint.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
fuck that, it's not like you're living there for a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top