Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 10:12:54 AM EDT
Alright,
So the front door of our house is painted flat black (I think the previous owners were big fans of Robert Palmer...everything is black red and white).  Anyway, since it's not a gloss paint, am I ok just painting right over it, or do I still have to strip/prime it?  Oh, and it's a metal door.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Scuff up the finish with a scotchbrite pad or fine sandpaper. I'd topcoat with an oil-based enamel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If the door is metal, I would sand it, fix any dents with auto body filler, sand and prime until smooth, and then paint with a good automotive enamel.  Spray cans will work but if you have a paint gun, that'll be even better.  What you can do is hold the paint can upside down, release all the pressure, shake it up and again release the pressure.  Once you feel you have all the pressure out, turn the can upside down and punch a couple holes in the bottom of the can.  Pour out the paint and put it in a paint gun.  Then paint your door.  

That's what I would do.  Regular house paint doesn't look good on a metal door IMO.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Scuff up the finish with a scotchbrite pad or fine sandpaper. I'd topcoat with an oil-based enamel.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just do this

easiest thing is to remove the door and cover the opening with a piece of plywood/OSB (from the inside) covered with tarpaper

That way it won't look like an eyesore from the street

Put is on sawhorses flat, remove the locks and paint it with several coats of paint applied with a foam roller

Put a little penetrol in the paint and it will level out fine

Some oils take a while to dry
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The Sherwin Williams would probably work fine.
Pulling the door and using a foam roller will give you a better finish than a brush.
You can do it the way ColtRifle is recommending, though I'd not get my paint from a rattle can. I'd buy a quart and thin it out with the appropriate solvent. RustOleum paint would be satisfactory for your door or Sherwin Williams may have something similar. Spraying will give a  superior finish and is fast but prep is key and you'll have to use a respirator and deal with cleanup. A cheap gun will give a good finish for a door. Don't try to rattle can it. Also, since the door is black, I'd use some Kilz, or other primer (depending on which method you use), so I get better coverage on the finish coat. And, remove the hardware. Don't try to mask and paint around it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top