Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 9:57:12 AM EDT
Here is the dialoge of a call my dad got at his shop the other day. I sat there listening and I busted a gut afterward as did 2 customers in the office.My dad must get all the pain in the @ss, $hit for brains customers and he has gotten tired of codling them and sparing their feelings nor does he believe the customer is always right (Because they AREN'T, if you ever worked retail with the public you know this.).

My dad: Hello Powered Equipment.

Caller: Were are you located and how do I get to you?

My dad: Well, where are you located?

Caller: What differance does that make?

My dad: It may help me give you better directions if I know where you are coming from.

Caller: Look, just tell me where the hell you are so I can get some parts, I dont wanna play a stupid game.

My dad: Wait one minute please. (goes to desk gets out his GPS and picks up the phone.) Sir, 42-08-22 North and 78-25-53W. Thank you and have a nice day. Hangs up the phone.

All of us bust up laughing for about 2 minutes. He just ordered more business cards with his GPS coodinates on them as a reminder. Rudeness will get you no where with my dad because he just does not intimidate and he has no qualms about telling you where you can stick it in.  I love my dad!  

BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats going to cost him alot of $$$$.  The customer isn't always right, but they are always the customer.  Retail 101.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
No its not. The problem is that some stores kiss the customers ass until their lips are brown even if they are PLAINLY WRONG. This gives the customer the idea that they can pull stupid shit, be fraudulent, be rude, or run ruffshod over other business's and get away with it.

An example: We have people show up and or call at all hours, Sundays, Holidays etc and expect to be waited on simply because his shop is accross the driveway. If the sign says closed, they go and knock on the house door expecting him to open up just for them! (if an appointment is made for certain circumstances it is ok).

Recently he took a 4 day vacation (1st in 5 years) and went to vermont. A customer came to the shop while my fiance was at the house feeding the animals for them and asked where he was. The person was told that he was gone for 4 days on vacation. The women starts getting snobby "Well he never told me he was going on vacation!" Lets see, he works 7 days a week (not open to public on Sunday) for 5 years? I think he earned 4 days!

SGTAR15, would you get a permission slip from a customer just so you go away for 4 days?

My dad is not PC and if you are wrong he will tell you in no certain terms, if you are rude and abusive you will be dealt with in kind, your "feelings" will not be spared. Remember actions based on "Fealings" is a liberal concept.
Some of you people are PC and dont even know it.

Retail 101 from School of Sard Knocks not Liberal Oxford.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
SorryOciffer,

That's funny as hell!!  I'm going to have to use that sometime.

I think what some people fail to realize is that while the customer is "generally" right, there are certain customers who can't be pleased no matter what you do.  Fortunately, I quit dealing directly with the general public in my business, but I still deal with the occasional GC (general contractor) whose raison d'etre is to be nothing but a PITA.  Hey, if I screwed up, I'll make it right.  But if you just want to be a jerk, I can play that game pretty well, too.

The reason I've all but stopped dealing with John and Jane Q. Homeowner is that they feel I should build their cabinets cheaper and better than what they saw at the local Home Despot.  Plus, I shouldn't bill them for any design work.  F>ck 'em.  I've got better ways to waste my time than dealing with people like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top