Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2006 1:29:44 PM EDT
First let me say that I've never considered torturing the eminent Dr. with You-Know-What. Mrs. aa is deathly phobic of those things herself!

My Kitchenaid side-by-side has the ice/water dispenser in the door. Ice on the left, water on the right (as opposed to the combo dispenser). The stupid water dispenser has started being slow to shut off, so when you pull the glass away it pisses water onto the floor for a few seconds.

Easy fix?

Thanks,

aa

eta: gt rid of the the "D"!!!!111!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't act like an electrical issue. It acts more like a mechanical issue, i.e. the flow slows to half when the glass is removed, then slowly slows over the next few seconds.

Is there even any electrical part of that mechanism?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you have air in the lines. Did you just recently change the filter? Because what you discribed is exactly what happens after you change the filter and don't run enough water through the system to get the nitrogen out of the the new filter.

BTW i work for Whirlpool/Kitchenaid
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have ice and water in the door..Water shut off awhile back..a few days later the ice shut off as well..any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Post a picture of a spider.  Dr. Fridge always likes that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have ice and water in the door..Water shut off awhile back..a few days later the ice shut off as well..any ideas?

bad Water valve, or a clogged water filter, or you could possibly have a frozen water line in the fridge. give me the model # and i can tell you the part # for the valve
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm not sure he'll respond unless you get rid of the D in frige.

Its a thing with him.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bad Water valve, or a clogged water filter, or you could possibly have a frozen water line in the fridge. give me the model # and i can tell you the part # for the valve

Will do..I should be home in a few hours
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm not sure he'll respond unless you get rid of the D in frige.

Its a thing with him.

Done (or should I say 'one?)!!! Thank you!!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I'll be a dollar DrFrige is wrong! so there!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well I'll be a dollar DrFrige is wrong! so there!

oooo...betting aDr. of Fri(d)ges that he's wrong about fridges.....things could get frigid.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Incoming house water --Filter-->Solenoid valve--->Plastic water resevoir--->Dispenser'

Its a kitchenaid, on almost all kitchenaids fridges incoming water goes to filter first before the water valve. I get at least 1 call per week for kitchenaid/whirlpool fridges doing the exact thing he describes, 95 percent of the time its air(nitrogen) in the lines from a filter replacement.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread just doesn't feel complete...

That's better.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I spent some time with it today..Part of my problem was that I had removed the old water filter awhile back without putting a plug or new filter back in there..I got a plug in there and the ice machine started to produce after awhile..I still don't have water at the door..I disconnected the tubing under the freezer side door and pressed the water button and it pumped water..so somewhere in the last 2 feet of tubing to the dispenser there is a problem..I'm currently turning off the freezer side for awhile thinking that may thaw the tubing out a little
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I spent some time with it today..Part of my problem was that I had removed the old water filter awhile back without putting a plug or new filter back in there..I got a plug in there and the ice machine started to produce after awhile..I still don't have water at the door..I disconnected the tubing under the freezer side door and pressed the water button and it pumped water..so somewhere in the last 2 feet of tubing to the dispenser there is a problem..I'm currently turning off the freezer side for awhile thinking that may thaw the tubing out a little

Is it a frigidaire or GE fridge? those are the only 2 brands that i see the disp tube freeze up on. The fix for it is a new freezer door, if it is a GE fridge it could be covered under their current class action lawsuit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it a frigidaire or GE fridge? those are the only 2 brands that i see the disp tube freeze up on. The fix for it is a new freezer door, if it is a GE fridge it could be covered under their current class action lawsuit.

Its a Hotpoint (That's GE IIRC) and yes after turning the freezer side off for awhile the water started running again...everything's back to normal ...thanks for the tips
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sounds like you have air in the lines. Did you just recently change the filter? Because what you discribed is exactly what happens after you change the filter and don't run enough water through the system to get the nitrogen out of the the new filter.

BTW i work for Whirlpool/Kitchenaid

JoeyP: you hit the nail right on the head! All fixed. Thank you!
This is kind of strange though. Is the solenoid valve one of those types that requires water pressure to stay closed?

Dr.: you know, arfcom has probably provided you with better than the most expensive desensitization program available through any medical plan. Can you actually look at a real spider now?

P.S. Sorry for the late response, I had a family emergency I had to take care of and haven't had a free minute to deal with the refrigerator until this afternoon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top