Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2005 10:03:33 PM EDT
I just got a mad craving for this place. I had never been to one until a few months ago in Austin, TX. Oh man, what a treat. Best chinese food I've had in a long long time. Only other place that rivals it is a little place in Worcester, MA called Dragon Dynasty. Closest one to me is in Birmingham, about 2 hours away. I wonder, is it worth the drive to satisfy my craving.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:05:21 PM EDT
At 2 AM in the morning....no, no it is not
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:06:36 PM EDT
Damn it...I want some damn chinese food. There aint any that Ive found near here in Germany though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:07:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LArifleMAN:

Haha, I don't mean now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:08:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fly-Navy:

Originally Posted By LArifleMAN:

Haha, I don't mean now.

LOL, you had it coming....dam good food.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:08:22 PM EDT
one of my favorites is the "San Wong restaurant" in Japantown , SF
"excellent seafood"
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:09:17 PM EDT
overpriced.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:12:02 PM EDT
I am soo craving those lettice wraps now. THANKS ALOT!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:13:09 PM EDT
Go at lunch. It is the same menu, but a TON cheaper.

Oh, thanks for reminding me, now I am hungry.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:14:07 PM EDT
PF Changs, like Yan Can, is most certainly NOT Chinese food.. bastardized, at best.

Find a good family-run restaurant. That's your best bet for good Chinese food.

Don't get me wrong, they both serve their own niche fairly well, but it's not great. Personally I ordered a couple things from PF Changs and found them all to be sub-par.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:15:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:
PF Changs, like Yan Can, is most certainly NOT Chinese food.. bastardized, at best.

I'm well aware of this. Unfortunately, most Americans are not. No need for a lecture

Don't get me wrong, they both serve their own niche fairly well, but it's not great. Personally I ordered a couple things from PF Changs and found them all to be sub-par.

I live in Meridian, MS. Not quite the culinary capital of the world. There is a decent chinese restaurant here, but it's not what you'd call authentic chinese. PF Changs would blow it out of the water and I crave it right now!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:17:34 PM EDT

I'm well aware of this. Unfortunately, most Americans are not. No need for a lecture

I live in Meridian, MS. Not quite the culinary capital of the world. There is a decent chinese restaurant here, but it's not what you'd call authentic chinese. PF Changs would blow it out of the water and I crave it right now!

Understood!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 10:24:26 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]

Originally Posted By Silesius:
overpriced.

WORTH the price.

Love that place.

And yeah it is about as authentic as Benihana but both have really good food.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:27:37 PM EDT
yeah... lettuce wraps...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:32:40 PM EDT

overpriced.

i guess the arby's 5 for 5 better suits you?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:39:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

overpriced.

i guess the arby's 5 for 5 better suits you?

Hey, can't we like P.F. Changs AND the Arby's 5 for $5 deal???

At Tyson's Corner here in VA there's a P.F. Changs with a Legal Seafoods right next door.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:40:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By METT-T:
At Tyson's Corner here in VA there's a P.F. Changs with a Legal Seafoods right next door.

You made me cream myself...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:44:58 PM EDT

You made me cream myself...

I'll ditto that comment!

Need lettuce wraps now!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:39:58 AM EDT
lettuce wraps is chinese food????....
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:41:11 AM EDT
Great food...spotty service.

HH
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:47:07 AM EDT
Great food, small tables......
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:50:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dano1:
lettuce wraps is chinese food????....

Probably not. Nevertheless, I luv dem lettuce wraps. Have you all had the Kung Pao Scallops? Shit, I eat two servings per visit, which is 2x/month minimum.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:58:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:04:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DVDTracker:

Unfortunately, the best chinese food I've found in Austin so far has been Panda Express.

Lee, go down to Golden Willow in Concord. Excellent food, and it's right next door to Big 5.

OUCH!!! Mallchinka Food
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:17:09 AM EDT
[homer]Lettuce Wraps[/homer]

Man I love that place, it is awesome. The ones in Dallas have great service and AWESOME scenery if ya know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:22:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fly-Navy:........Worcester, MA called Dragon Dynasty

I am always looking for good China food.Where is this place and what is the specialty ? So far the best place I have found is called "Fred's" in Shrewsbury,great name for a Chinese place eh ?

Man I miss Cali,the BEST China restaraunts are there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:33:37 AM EDT

I'm in Tyson's Corner now too for several months. Where's the PF Changs?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 6:36:23 AM EDT by diabolical_chicken]
i went to a luncheon catered by PF Changs and was glad to go because i had heard good things about it

i found the food to be kinda "eh"--some dish had big chunks of lemon or orange rind it it

i will do second chances if i keep hearing good things
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:36:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By krpind:
[homer]Lettuce Wraps[/homer]

Man I love that place, it is awesome. The ones in Dallas have great service and AWESOME scenery if ya know what I mean.

2nd only to the food is VERY VERY NICE SCENERY in Raleigh area PF Changs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:38:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:45:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SP1Grrl:
Ugh.

That's usuallly how I feel after I leave.......because I ate so much.

Go back and order the Lettuce wraps, DanDan noodles, and Lemon Pepper shrimp.

Bring three friends and share.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:52:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By diabolical_chicken:
i went to a luncheon catered by PF Changs and was glad to go because i had heard good things about it

i found the food to be kinda "eh"--some dish had big chunks of lemon or orange rind it it

wtf. yeah, lemon pepper shrimp = cooked lemon slices in the dish.

orange peel beef/pork/chicken/whatever = orange rind slives that give the dish its flavour.

just eat them, they're there for a reason and they won't kill you. and the lemon pepper shrimp is damn good.

yeah, i work at the pf changs in baton rouge.

as for the one w/ the seafood place next to it?

ours has a bonefish grille, carrabas, and flemings steakhouse next to it. they've all been opened up w/in the last 7 months.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:53:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By krpind:

Originally Posted By SP1Grrl:
Ugh.

That's usuallly how I feel after I leave.......because I ate so much.

Go back and order the Lettuce wraps, DanDan noodles, and Lemon Pepper shrimp.

Bring three friends and share.

<Home Simpson>> Mmm, Lemon Pepper Shrimp <Homer Simpson>

The LPS and KungPao Scallops are my staples. If I didn't have ribs and brisket in the smoker, I'd be headed to PFC today.

Oh yeah...I agree with your suggestions above, but come on, Letuce Wraps, DanDan and LPS for three people. They'll starve to death with so little food.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:53:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 6:55:57 AM EDT by diabolical_chicken]

Originally Posted By eWRXshun:

orange peel beef/pork/chicken/whatever = orange rind slives that give the dish its flavour.

just eat them, they're there for a reason and they won't kill you
. and the lemon pepper shrimp is damn good.

ours has a bonefish grille, carrabas, and flemings steakhouse next to it. they've all been opened up w/in the last 7 months.

i found it to be quite bitter and didnt like it--i had no control of the menu at the luncheon and probably wouldve chosen differently on my own--which is a reason why i said id try it again
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:54:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gregory_A:

I am always looking for good China food.Where is this place and what is the specialty ? So far the best place I have found is called "Fred's" in Shrewsbury,great name for a Chinese place eh ?

Haven't tried Cali Chinese.........but I am sure it can hold its own

But The China Club, Kowloon, China may be THE best.....

Then again, Indochine, in Lan Kwai Fong (trendy night club/resturant district in Hong Kong. Now has another resturant in Singapore) is another that ranks right up there!

The best............anywhere !!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:57:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eWRXshun:

just eat them, they're there for a reason and they won't kill you
. and the lemon pepper shrimp is damn good.

i found it to be quite bitter and didnt like it--i had no control of the menu at the luncheon and probably wouldve chosen differently on my own--which is a reason why i said id try it again

do you typically like spicy or mild dishes?

spicy? i'd say go w/ the kung pao (ours has peanuts in it, give it an interesting flavour). chang's spicy chicken is pretty good too.

mild, can't go wrong w/ the mongolian beef and a lo mein dish.

shanghai street dumplings are my favorite app.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:02:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 7:03:45 AM EDT by Gregory_A]

Ingredients:
Spiced chicken, green onions, water chestnuts, black mushrooms, rice sticks, sesame oil, garlic, minced chicken sauce

Ingredients:
Marinated beef, dark sauce*, garlic, green onion sticks, sesame oil, sugar

[Homer] Drools [/Homer] There is a PF Changs here in Boston,I might have to check it out.Might be way too friggin expensive though....
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:04:44 AM EDT
bitter depends on the skill-or lack of-the cook zesting or peeling the fruit. I can imagine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:08:10 AM EDT
ok, now

you guys are making me hungry and its not even noon--hmmm, wonder if hubby wants to go out later

thanks for all the tasty ideas
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:14:28 AM EDT
Have you tried the place at Ohlen & Burnet?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:47:27 AM EDT

Unfortunately, the best chinese food I've found in Austin so far has been Panda Express.

Lee, go down to Golden Willow in Concord. Excellent food, and it's right next door to Big 5.

There are TWO PF Changs in Austin.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:49:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 2:55:33 PM EDT by Fly-Navy]

Originally Posted By Gregory_A:

It's on Highland Street right near The Boynton Restaurant. You know, in the WPI area. The best dishes I think are the General's Chicken and the... shit...it's not Mongolian Chicken.. it's something else... I can't remember the name. The Singapore Style Rice Noodles are fantastic too. I still haven't found an egg roll anywhere else to match their's too. Their General's Chicken is not like anyone elses. It's different, and very crispy mmm.

Edited to add: The dish I forgot the name of was Mandarin Chicken. Definitely my favorite dish there. I always had them make their spicy dishes "extra Chinese spicy". They understood what I meant, because it's they ONLY chinese place I've been to that made my eyes water. Good stuff!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:59:18 AM EDT
The "F" in P.F Changs is Flemming, the guy who started Flemmings Prime Steakhouse.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:02:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 10:07:33 AM EDT by geish]
I can understand that many people love that place for the good food; I don't disagree with the individuals that say it's good, but please don't call it Chinese food.

Call it Americhinese food. Yeah, I agree it's good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:03:06 AM EDT

Hmmmmm... I just might do that. Want me to FedEx ya some?

There is a PF Changs about a block from my house.... went there once.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:08:23 AM EDT
I travel alot. Must have been to at least 15 around the country. If there's a Changs there I'm on it. I know it isn't authentic Chinese food, but it is better than any I have had in this Chinese food challenged state..
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:11:40 AM EDT

+1 <---- i was waiting to hear this one.. lol
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:25:59 AM EDT
That place is the whities idea on Chinese food.

Although the lettuce wrap is good, all other stuff minus the beer is crap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:36:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Timanator:
That place is the whities idea on Chinese food.

Although the lettuce wrap is good, all other stuff minus the beer is crap.

Because in the 30s or 40s when "Chinese" food started getting popular in the USA (Chop Suey anyone?), that was authentic.

Newflash: The Chinese food we are all used to was actually started by Chinese people. Look it up, it's true. That's not saying it's authentic in any respect to what they eat in China, but they're the ones that gave us what we eat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:09:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hrt4me:

I'm in Tyson's Corner now too for several months. Where's the PF Changs?

Tyson's II, right up the road from the main mall there on 7. Can't miss it. There's a Nieman Marcus and an FAO Schwartz and a bunch of other high-dollar fancy pants stores in there too, but I just go for the eats.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:16:56 PM EDT
You know, I could care less about this "authentic Chinese food" crap. If Chinese restaurants were run according to the typical Chinese diet, they'd probably serve millet with beans and onion and maybe a hunk of horseflesh on Thursdays and your fortune cookie would say "Life of back-breaking peasant labor awaits" or "Woman who too lucky in love get forced sterilization." I'd don't think I'd be calling up Hong Kong Express too often.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top