Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 4:26:41 AM EDT
This is very cool.

You can pan left, righ, up, and down.  Also, zoom in and out.

I'd like to know how they captured this 360X360 image.  You can pan down to see an empty seat and up to see the closed canopy.  Where was the leprechaun with the camera standing???

Enjoy.

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/360/P51-Mustang/P51_swf.html
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
good stuff!

needs moar!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That's just too damn cool!  Thanks Man.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
My BIL and his 15 YO daughter just flew a P-51 in Orlando.  I looked sweet.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool!  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:49:15 AM EDT
[#5]
nice but i got a few virus alerts on that page...on 3 different virus scanners.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
nice but i got a few virus alerts on that page...on 3 different virus scanners.

Your running 3 virus scanners at the same time?

They are probably reporting on each other....  lol
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
that is totally awesome.  great find
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd like to know how they captured this 360X360 image.  You can pan down to see an empty seat and up to see the closed canopy.  Where was the leprechaun with the camera standing???

They used one camera and just took multiple shots by hand and stitched them together in software. Little variations in where the camera is centered get automatically corrected, so as long as they kept the camera more or less in the same point in space above the seat it all works out. They may have even used a pan platform for most of the images, and then a few hand held shots to fill in the gaps below and directly above the camera.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I never understood how pilots could see anything over those high front instrument panels
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They used one camera and just took multiple shots by hand and stitched them together in software. Little variations in where the camera is centered get automatically corrected, so as long as they kept the camera more or less in the same point in space above the seat it all works out. They may have even used a pan platform for most of the images, and then a few hand held shots to fill in the gaps below and directly above the camera.

Yep. Same way that virtual tours are shot for homes. Done properly, you can pan +/- 180° on all 3 axes and never see the tripod. Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Same way that virtual tours are shot for homes. Done properly, you can pan +/- 180° on all 3 axes and never see the tripod. Pretty neat.

There are also jointed armatures with calibrated gradations on each axis that let you shoot coverage of spherical panoramas from a fixed point.  My friend has one, he's been playing with it and his SLR on some local mountaintops.  I'll see if I can find some of his photos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top