Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2013 4:06:17 PM EDT
Galveston Gal, a P-51D modified into TF-51, went down today in the waters off Galveston.  Tragically, both the pilot and passenger, a tourist from the UK, were killed in the accident.  

No word yet on what happened.  Galveston Gal was owned by the Lone Star Flight Museum.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/23/2-killed-after-museum-wwii-era-plane-crashes-in-texas/?intcmp=latestnews
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I loved seeing that bird fly over the water when I was fishing.

RIP
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, saw it on Fox News.  Very sad.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
*sigh*  Dangit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I really wish they would just stop flying all these old birds while we still have a few to look at.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a shame in both loss of life and loss of aircraft.  Especially in loss of life.

Could the passenger have a chance to exit separately?  Is there only one canopy release or two?

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I really wish they would just stop flying all these old birds while we still have a few to look at.  
View Quote
Want to know how I know you're not a pilot?

And instead of "wishing" to deprive owners of their property, how about you cash in the farm, buy them all up and open a museum?

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn shame. Sad day. Prayers outbound to the families .
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn.  

I flew on the B-25 there a couple months ago. I really, really wanted to fly in the p-51.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And instead of "wishing" to deprive owners of their property, how about you cash in the farm, buy them all up and open a museum?

thank you.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I was watching videos of their flights yesterday, was getting ready to call Susan to book.  So sad.  Passenger from UK on 41st wedding anniversary, pilot from denton.  Very Tragic.  

I have some pictures in the other thread here I took at Alliance Air Show sunday

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_147/1548298_P51_Mustang__Galvaston_Gal_crashed_10_23_13__2_dead.html
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want my grandchildrens grandchildren to be able to see these planes up close.  When I was a little kid my father and I went to see what was left of the Memphis Bell in Memphis.  It was a sad sight and this was in the early 1960's.  My father taught me how to fly our Cessna 182 when I was only 8 y/o just for the record.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Average 1 lost a year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Sad to see her go, loved watching her fly when I was sailing in college
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I want my grandchildrens grandchildren to be able to see these planes up close.  When I was a little kid my father and I went to see what was left of the Memphis Bell in Memphis.  It was a sad sight and this was in the early 1960's.  My father taught me how to fly our Cessna 182 when I was only 8 y/o just for the record.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then honor your dad, get your license and teach your family about the joys of aviation instead of wishing someone else's freedom away for your own desires.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's kind of like saying, in 10 years there won't be any siberian tigers left in the wild, so let's just shoot them all now, stuff them, and put them in museums.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's kind of like saying, in 10 years there won't be any siberian tigers left in the wild, so let's just shoot them all now, stuff them, and put them in museums.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a Joni Mitchell song.

RIP and thoughts/prayers out to all those affected. The Mustang was my first love.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep and stop driving old cars and stop sailing old boats and stop shooting old guns.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#29]
That is sad.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep and stop driving old cars and stop sailing old boats and stop shooting old guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't saying they should force anyone to stop flying them.  Simply that I hate seeing them lost year after year!   Sheesh lighten up people!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Galveston gal was going to be flying in the Wings over Houston show this weekend.  Will be sadly missed along with the pilot and copilot.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#32]
They were meant to be flown , fly them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Bummer.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, that sucks.

Once gone, lives are gone, end of story.  

But I'll wager long odds that the plane will be salvaged and if nothing else,  parts of it will go to keep other Mustangs flying.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I wasn't saying they should force anyone to stop flying them.  Simply that I hate seeing them lost year after year!   Sheesh lighten up people!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, actually you did. Your words sir were; "I really wish they would just stop flying these old birds..."

The first step in getting out of the hole is to stop digging. Your personal feelings do not come at the expense of someone else's property rights.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Regarding the debate over flying around in irreplaceable vintage aircraft,  why can't we simply build modern copies?  Is that a stupid question?  

So the pleasure of flying a vintage plane outweighs the tragedy of destroying one.  Would it still if there was an exact clone copy available?  Honest questions...
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Uh, actually you did. Your words sir were; "I really wish they would just stop flying these old birds..."  

The first step in getting out of the hole is to stop digging. Your personal feelings do not come at the expense of someone else's property rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said "I WISH"  That is not saying i wish they would be forced to do something.  I have collectible cars and motorcycles sitting in my garage that I don't ride or drive because they are irreplaceable to ME!  Is anyone forcing me not to ride or drive them?  No!  That is my decision and mine alone.  I am saying the same of the owners and pilots of these planes.  I don't know if any of these birds have any real combat history or not but when the last flying example is gone they will be gone forever from the eyes of future generations to enjoy their beauty.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I said "I WISH"  That is not saying i wish they would be forced to do something.  I have collectible cars and motorcycles sitting in my garage that I don't ride or drive because they are irreplaceable to ME!  Is anyone forcing me not to ride or drive them?  No!  That is my decision and mine alone.  I am saying the same of the owners and pilots of these planes.  I don't know if any of these birds have any real combat history or not but when the last flying example is gone they will be gone forever from the eyes of future generations to enjoy their beauty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you're un saying your position while re saying it.

You win, I don't do circular arguments.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
Its cool when they fly, but the risks are too large.  I had a B-17 overhead about a month ago, awesome, but again not worth the risk.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I one and fly a combat veteran O2-A. There were less than 600 made and about 25 flying in the world and another 50 in museums. Even if all the flyers were lost, still plenty in museums to represent the type. I drive my 55 Chevy Bel Air convertible.
I have flown a T-28, A/T-6. Owned and flew a UH-1H that was a Viet Nam vet too.
It is one thing to see the plane on the ground in a museum. Another to hear and see it in its element.

Over all I am less worried about the ones flying than the aircraft sitting outside as gate guards/outdoor museums in the weather rotting away.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Its cool when they fly, but the risks are too large.  I had a B-17 overhead about a month ago, awesome, but again not worth the risk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was more of a risk of them going down when they were flying over Europe. It's better to fly them here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#45]
One day they will all most likely be gone either through attrition or neglect.

The only real way to hold onto them is to put them inside and pay for their upkeep.

Flying, or sitting outside as a static is going to eat them all up, it's only a matter of time.

In a hundred years most all of them will all be gone, same with all the ships, and tanks left outside.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I one and fly a combat veteran O2-A.
View Quote

I just saw one of those leaving Alliance Airport today.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#47]
damn
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tend to agree sadly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lighten up Francis. He didnt say they shouldn't be allowed to fly them. He is hoping that they can be saved for posterity so they too can appreciate them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#50]
The Military Aviation Museum in Va Beach has a P-51 that they fly around on weekends. They have a bunch of flyable warbirds in the collection including the only flying Mosquito in existence.

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/

If you are ever in the VB area go check them out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top