Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/26/2004 3:34:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:38:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 3:41:08 PM EST by CavVet]

Brian Malte, spokesman for the campaign chairman, publicly endorsed Santini’s opponent in the race for the office of mayor San Juan, Eduardo Bhatia, and called Santini’s opposition to the Federal Assault Weapons Ban “irresponsible” and “shocking.”

“Mayor Santini is putting at risk the lives of the children of San Juan, their families, and the police,” Malte said.

“We do not know of a mayor in any major U.S. city that is opposed to this federal law. Mayor Santini is the lone wolf,” he added

Guess what bitch....... PR San Juan aint a "major U.S. city".....

Puerto Rico is a self-governing commonwealth in association with the United States.

Puerto Rico has authority over its internal affairs.

PR .gov info page

How about a nice cup of......
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:38:57 PM EST
No but it technically is a US city and under US gun laws.

But major it's not.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:47:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By CRC:
No but it technically is a US city and under US gun laws.

But major it's not.

CRC

I would beg to differ. I dont think its a US city. They have a Constitution, and are listed as a Commonwealth.

We dont need a passport, but if they were a US city, they would pay Fed taxes and be able to vote for POTUS.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:49:13 PM EST
But they use US currency and are under US gun laws?

Maybe you are right.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:54:13 PM EST
Pa. is a Commonwealth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PR is a possession I think
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:56:57 PM EST
But they still must be under US gun laws or neither candidate would care about the AWB.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:58:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 4:00:22 PM EST by CavVet]

Originally Posted By JoeBotz:
Pa. is a Commonwealth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PR is a possession I think

R.I.F.

Click on the link in my first post a read a bit. Commonwealth.

PA can call itself anything it wishes, it is a state.

I can say I was in Cambodia for Christmas '68.......

CRC, I read thru their .gov info page. I dont see hwere they are under our gun laws, but I dont see where they are not.

I guess if they fill out 4473's, that answers that question........

ETA- They are under our laws but....

they have their own too. So I guess you are right. GCA 68 is on them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:01:48 PM EST
should send the mayor some emails and thank him for his courage to stand up to those people.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:02:33 PM EST
If any part of our union needed guns, it would be PR. I lived in the Virgin Islands for aahile, and I can tell you, there is a LOT of gun violence in PR. Same as the VI's. I would listen to auto gunfire every night on St. Croix. Those places are out of control.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:06:48 PM EST
P.R. is a Commonwealth. Our goverment system is very similar to the U.S. We can vote in the presidential primaries, but not in the actual elections. Although we receive a buch of $$ for welfare and such, we don't pay federal taxes. We have a representative in Congress with voice, but no vote.

Our gun laws suck the big one. Every legal gun has to be registered, after a "background check" that can last from 6 months- 1yr. I don't know how things are right now (I left 11 years ago), but at least as of '92 you could have the same kind of toys that people could have in most states.

Interestingly, gun crimes are extremely frequent, with P.R. having one of the highest murder rates in the U.S. (right after Washington D.C.). Most of the murders are gun-related. The majority are due to the drug trade and gang fighting.

Full-auto AKs (the real thing) are extremely common among the gangs. That idiot that says that the AWB is saving children has absolutely no idea about anything. You could have a british-style ban down there, and it would make absolutely no difference.

It's a beautiful island and such, but I'm happy enough in the corn/pig capital of the world.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:14:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 4:15:03 PM EST by sharky30]
they have US style zip codes, but I still don't consider them a US city
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:17:57 PM EST
They are offically listed as a protectorate.

What we are protecting them from is a mystery though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:18:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1911ar-15:

I knew we would have a real life Purto Rican on the board... I just knew it...

So the $64,000 question.

Is San Juan a U.S. city?

thx
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:41:11 PM EST
I think Puerto Rican gun laws are like Hawaii's and Massachusetts and darn sure better than DC's.

At least you can own handguns.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:16:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By CavVet:

Originally Posted By 1911ar-15:

I knew we would have a real life Purto Rican on the board... I just knew it...

So the $64,000 question.

Is San Juan a U.S. city?

thx

It is usually clumped together with all major US cities for statistical purposes (crime, economy, etc). But since P.R. is not a state it shouldn't be considered a 'real' US city.
Top Top