Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:19:57 PM EDT
I have a house that qualifies for free plumbing replacement due to a class action law suit lost by the manufacturer of the PTBE pipe.  This was a $1billion settlement against Shell Oil.
settlement linky

CPRC is handling the claims.

Problem is CPRC are giving me the run around.  I submitted info that that they told me was enough for a replumb.  They then denied it.  I submitted additional photos of leak repairs and they sat on it since Sep 06, 2005, and today told me they essentially threw it in a bucket (trash) because of some technicality, rather than acting on my claim.

1.  Has anyone dealt with the CPRC?
2.  Should I sue?
3.  Does the State Attorney General have any interest in this?
4.  Should I just say fcuk it and replumb it myself for $3000?

Advice/help/experience please.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
um,

When I got "replumbed" several years ago they were very easy to work with. I do remember that there was a deadline on the free work and that was along time ago-things may have changed I havn't kept up with the issue.
  The plastic pipe and connectors they used were definately defective-I've sold and worked with lots of pipe materials and that stuff was a joke-it leaked if you looked at it!
  Before you sue, take some photos, document your leaks again, and contact them again. Also ask some Plumbers what process they've seen used recently.
  Gooluck,
Nick
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I have already talked to a plumber.  I got the claim started before the deadline.  How long from start to finish for your claim?  Did they send out someone to look at it prior to approval?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh Boy, this must be 8 or 10 years ago...Lets see, yes they did send a guy who only had to take a quick look to see it was the correct offending stuff AND that it was leaking (that it was leaking was a stipulation!)
Funny thing was knowing that it HAD to be leaking to get fixed, I went into the attic with some various tools to "make it leak" and when I lifted the first line to do my deed it started leaking in my hand-the stuff was crap-simi rigid pipe/tube with a sqeezed on "clamp". I heard the pipe/tube/hose whatever it was would pop leaks in the middle not just at joints!!

And the process was major surgery for the house-lots of holes in walls etc, then repiped with copper and holes patched and textured and painted-but they did a good job, maybe 3 weeks total.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top