Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2008 10:32:46 AM EDT
I'm replacing the weak original with an extra power version from wolff. Easy to get the old one off, tough to get the new one on...

That is all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone got a tip/trick for getting this thing back in? The trigger group is nearly identical to an M14/garand.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Ummm... push on it?

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ummm... push on it?

I wish it was that easy. The new spring is probably 2x the strength of the original.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but what was wrong with the old spring?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ummm... push on it?

I wish it was that easy. The new spring is probably 2x the strength of the original.

Push harder?

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but what was wrong with the old spring?

I got an occasional light strike/failure to fire. I also replaced the original recoil spring.

I've posted about this gun several times. A coworker found it in his grandmother's pond. AND BEFORE ANYONE ASKS, YES I HAD THE NUMBERS RUN. It was in bad shape when I got it(free), and I'm slowly rebuilding it.

ETA--I just got it in. I'm going to have to make a spring compressor......
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got an occasional light strike/failure to fire. I also replaced the original recoil spring.

I've posted about this gun several times. A coworker found it in his grandmother's pond. AND BEFORE ANYONE ASKS, YES I HAD THE NUMBERS RUN. It was in bad shape when I got it(free), and I'm slowly rebuilding it.

Gotcha -- good luck with that.

What's it look like? (Other than a Mini.)
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If they are anything like an M14/M1, it IS a pain.  Hold the trigger group "pointing" toward you and press in on the trigger/spring with your thumb.  Get a small punch, or something similar, to use as a slave pin and insert it in just far enough to hold the housing in.  For me, the next step was to align the trigger with the pin holes.  To do this on my M1A, I had to take a screwdriver shank, about 3/8" in diameter, and place between the curve of the trigger and the rear of the trigger guard.  Then, when I pushed more on the assembly, the screwdriver shank cammed the trigger up to where I could line up the holes.  Pushed the pin in and through the holes pushing out the slave pin.

Hope that made sense.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If they are anything like an M14/M1, it IS a pain.  Hold the trigger group "pointing" toward you and press in on the trigger/spring with your thumb.  Get a small punch, or something similar, to use as a slave pin and insert it in just far enough to hold the housing in.  For me, the next step was to align the trigger with the pin holes.  To do this on my M1A, I had to take a screwdriver shank, about 3/8" in diameter, and place between the curve of the trigger and the rear of the trigger guard.  Then, when I pushed more on the assembly, the screwdriver shank cammed the trigger up to where I could line up the holes.  Pushed the pin in and through the holes pushing out the slave pin.

Hope that made sense.

I ended up just working the spring/strut assembly into position with some needle nose pliers. The strut has a retaining pin hole to capture the spring, but the problem was that the spring is just too strong to compress it enough to insert a capture pin--leading to the need for a spring compressor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha -- good luck with that.

What's it look like? (Other than a Mini.)

Gimmie a few minutes and I'll find the before/now pictures.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like trying to get a cat into a bathtub.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Ah, rescuing a poor orphan and restoring her to health!  Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that "push harder" didn't work.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't rule out headspacing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#14]
No advice here, but tagged for pics of the pond-gun.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Boy, I paid $180 for a nib Mini-14 way way back and I didn't think it was worth that then.  Accuracy was not even a hope from this "rifle",  It stayed in the safe for a long time before I sold it for over $500.  so I got lucky.

My opinion, I would never own another one, even if I found it.  Not worth the cash to get is back into running condition.

There was a reason someone tossed it in to that pond...

But hey it's your money, so if you like it all the power to ya,  good luck.

put the hammer in a vise, use both hands to put the spring on, use some tools if you need to, pretty tough to really mess up a spring.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anyone got a tip/trick for getting this thing back in?

Push on it like ya got a pair.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#17]
TAG for pics
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Pics of it how I got it--will get some "now" pics in a couple of minutes.

Here it is after some TLC with 0000 steel wool and WD40

Pics of the rifle as it sits now will be up in a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#19]
How it sits now...

It ain't pretty, but I don't have to care about dinging it up either.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a great fixer-upper.

And this is another example why you shouldn't take your guns in the boat with you.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, that's awesome.

And who cares if it's a mini-14, it still shoots things. Esp for a free project, right?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ummm... push on it?

Push harder?

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#23]
how did it get in the pond?

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

this is arfcom, you should ALREADY know the answer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Don't know, don't really care.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool post.

hope you get the spring back on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The question should be why it was in the pond.?

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]
You did a good job rebuilding that gun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]
abasive blast and hot blue and you will never know teh diffrence..

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It's not rebuilt yet, just restored to functional. When I first got it, I had to put the butt of the stock on the ground and stomp the charging handle to get the bolt open.

I'm thinking about designing and milling out a new adjustable gas block to accommodate a heavier barrel + maybe getting an aftermarket trigger. I've stoned the factory trigger and it's not too bad, just way too long.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Did you stay last night after I left and shoot with the guys?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Nope, I left right after you did. Then got lost trying to remember a shortcut home...then ended up back out on 901.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, I left right after you did. Then got lost trying to remember a shortcut home...then ended up back out on 901.

Can't get lost going down 377

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't get lost going down 377

There's a shortcut back home off 901, it's just been so long since I took it + being dark I couldn't remember it. I'm going to have to google earth it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not rebuilt yet, just restored to functional. When I first got it, I had to put the butt of the stock on the ground and stomp the charging handle to get the bolt open.

I'm thinking about designing and milling out a new adjustable gas block to accommodate a heavier barrel + maybe getting an aftermarket trigger. I've stoned the factory trigger and it's not too bad, just way too long.

good for a hobby project.  Parkerize it and you might have a real nice truck/trunk gun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My guess would be gravity.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Can't beat free
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Put some oomph into it, girly man.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Captain OBIVIOUS.  Probably stolen from a dead guy.  Only the ATF can run origins, from distributor to gunshop.  Then they have to search the bound book and look at the 4473.  

I would bead blast, then electroless nickel.  Looks like stainless without the galling.

The bore is probably toast BUT since Ruger made them with .3085 bores, it could be lapped smooth to a bit larger and still function with acceptable accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Captain OBIVIOUS.  Probably stolen from a dead guy.  Only the ATF can run origins, from distributor to gunshop.  Then they have to search the bound book and look at the 4473.  

I would bead blast, then electroless nickel.  Looks like stainless without the galling.

The bore is probably toast BUT since Ruger made them with .3085 bores, it could be lapped smooth to a bit larger and still function with acceptable accuracy.

Surprisingly, the bore is actually still bright and shiny. It's got a couple of visible pits, but otherwise is more than acceptable. The cheap red dot that's on it has a 5 MOA dot, and it shoots at least that with Wolf ammo...in my limited bench testing anyway. Haven't bothered to run any U.S. ammo through it or try handloads.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The inevitable "tragic boating accident" that you always hear about on this board.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Or polish it out and re-blue it... but at least give it a good finish.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or polish it out and re-blue it... but at least give it a good finish.

I think I'll do a duracoat camo job on it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

One benefit of lapping the bore and increasing the diameter might be a slight decrease in pressure, IMO.  Just trying to "find the good in every situation"...  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Surprisingly, the bore is actually still bright and shiny. It's got a couple of visible pits, but otherwise is more than acceptable. The cheap red dot that's on it has a 5 MOA dot, and it shoots at least that with Wolf ammo...in my limited bench testing anyway. Haven't bothered to run any U.S. ammo through it or try handloads.

Did it improve the accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Need one of these for the red-dot:

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I finally got mine finished scoped and sighted in a few weeks back... now I wanna kill some piggies with it.

With the wolf 7.62X39 123 gr it is shooting about 1.5 inches at 100.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#49]
As a mini-14 owner.........push harder - be sure to have something around you to limit the flight of the spring if it slips and flies off across the room.

Don't worry about the pain when pushing, soon it will go numb and you'll be able to get it in at that point.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Did it improve the accuracy?

I'm not sure I know what your asking?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top