Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 12:58:07 AM EDT
My daughter loves to open the mail now, so every day when I get it out of the box I grab the important stuff and hand her the spam evelopes for things like credit cards, insurance offers, direct TV, stuff like that.

I canceled my AMEX card awhile ago as it has been unused for a few years. There was an envelope from American Express today, I figured it was just an offer like all the other ones I get from various companies.

About an hour later after she had opened her "mail" and said "It's junk..throwing it out" to each one I found a check made out to me sitting on her table. Amex sent me a check for an error in my favor, not a lot of money, but enough to take the family out to eat.

I would have just chucked that sucker into the fire with the rest of the junk mail. Somehow it even managed to get passed up my OCD kid who threw away every other piece I gave her.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#1]
nice!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm rather bad at this game too.  I judge by the envelope and toss 3/4 of it in the recycle bin without opening.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Took OP's advice; all I got was bills.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I should start opening all my CC envelopes to see if they contain money.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:00:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Why close a credit card? Even if you don't rarely use it, you are developing credit history with it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a participant of a Flex Spending Account sign up and request a debit card.  She calls the office says she didnt get it like 2 months later.  We check out system and it showed the date it was mailed and the address etc.  Verify address.  Inform her they look like junk mail and describe the envelope and mail the 2nd.  About 2 month later I get a call from the HR director of this group which is a very large group and this lady is raising hell all over saying how we lied to her and have horrible service etc.    I just so had a group meeting scheduled there 3 days later.  I had the card overnighted to our office from our card vendor.  I hand it to her at one of the meetings.  She goes "oh my yes I threw 2 away that looked like that.  I thought it was junk mail".  How she is a supervisor blows my mind.  Also when she signed up to receive it there is a picture of the card on the form.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:02:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Was it first class or standard?

Companies will not send checks through standard mail.  I always open all my first class mail and throw away all my standard mail.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Truth to this. I always got things from my mortgage company/bank and would let the envelopes stack up without opening them because I walkways paid on time and check my statements online.

I had a $293 check sitting in an envelope for some kind of over payment something or other.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:06:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Companies will not send checks through standard mail.  I always open all my first class mail and throw away all my standard mail.
View Quote

first class is "standard mail"

unless you are speaking of bulk mail
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why close a credit card? Even if you don't rarely use it, you are developing credit history with it.
View Quote

Lenders don't like to see too many open accounts, even if you aren't carrying a balance.   To them, it's all potential debt.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I threw the "pay stub" into the woodstove from a bonus check once about a month or so after getting direct deposit. I found out about a month later that they don't do direct deposit on the bonus checks
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:31:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lenders don't like to see too many open accounts, even if you aren't carrying a balance.   To them, it's all potential debt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think this is entirely true.  My wife has 36 open revolving accounts between store cards and credit cards (no balances paid in full every month) and has a 816 (just pulled about a month ago financing a suv).

Back when I ran dealerships I pulled tons and tons of credit and put many loans together and never had an issue.   Also my wife has a huge credit line for her business she gets approved for every year alone without issues.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I can vouch for this. I got about $1000 back from Chase bank. They said they were calculating something wrong when I had my account with them. They had closed the account about a year before.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I threw the "pay stub" into the woodstove from a bonus check once about a month or so after getting direct deposit. I found out about a month later that they don't do direct deposit on the bonus checks
View Quote

You know they can cut you a new check.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:56:36 AM EDT
[#15]
These were right about to get chucked in the trash!

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I've received the survey ones with cash in them...

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Why pay an annual fee for a card you don't use?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I open all mail unless I recognize it as junk mail I receive regularly.  Charter has sent me the same stupid "Please switch to us!" letter at least once a week for the past five years.  You'd think they'd get the hint by now that I ain't interested.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But I do cancel any card I don't want to use anymore.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:26:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck AMEX
stupid Card
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true.

http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/classes/standard.htm

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't think this is entirely true.  My wife has 36 open revolving accounts between store cards and credit cards (no balances paid in full every month) and has a 816 (just pulled about a month ago financing a suv).

Back when I ran dealerships I pulled tons and tons of credit and put many loans together and never had an issue.   Also my wife has a huge credit line for her business she gets approved for every year alone without issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told that the first time I got a mortgage.   I don't see too many lenders for small stuff giving much of a shit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, and they did as soon as I told on myself for being stupid. Still feel stupid for doing that though
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I open all mail, anyways, and it gets checked twice.

I have a "burn bin" that all the shit with information gets put in to, I burn the mail maybe once or twice a year. To keep the pile from getting to big, I throw the envelopes and any paper without my information on it in the recycling bin. Everything else goes in the burn pile.

Then, I have a fire and bring my fucking trashbag full of bills, credit card applications, etc. And one by one, all night, I pull the shit out of the bag and throw it in the fire. So that is the second time it gets checked - just before I burn it.. Only once or twice have I been like, "Oh shit", and slipped a pertinent piece of paper into my back pocket, instead of the fire.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was in my DBA name and they didn't report since it was a business account, it was doing nothing for me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's first class, it will say "first class" or "pre-sorted first class" right on the envelope where the postage goes. If it says standard or pre-sorted standard then it's bulk mail.
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My daughter loves to open the mail now, so every day when I get it out of the box I grab the important stuff and hand her the spam evelopes for things like credit cards, insurance offers, direct TV, stuff like that.

I canceled my AMEX card awhile ago as it has been unused for a few years. There was an envelope from American Express today, I figured it was just an offer like all the other ones I get from various companies.

About an hour later after she had opened her "mail" and said "It's junk..throwing it out" to each one I found a check made out to me sitting on her table. Amex sent me a check for an error in my favor, not a lot of money, but enough to take the family out to eat.

I would have just chucked that sucker into the fire with the rest of the junk mail. Somehow it even managed to get passed up my OCD kid who threw away every other piece I gave her.
View Quote

Same thing happened to me last month. I got a generic looking envelope in the mail from Bank of America. I thought it was just junk mail and was holding it over the trash can and decided to open it up and HOLY SHIT!!

It was ALOT of money from BofA when they got their asses sued for fucking over deployed military personnel. I used to have a mortgage with them a few years back. The check I got from them is an impressive financial windfall and very close to life changing, five figures worth, damn near close to six figures.

Here is the link from my topic.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1677396_Bank_of_America_Account_Review_Refund_Checks.html
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can opt out of receiving all the credit card offers and cut down on your junk mail - follow the link below:

Link
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You can opt out of receiving all the credit card offers and cut down on your junk mail - follow the link below:

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Oh my God, I think I love you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I open all the CC junk mail because a lot of those "offers" contain actual checks with my name printed on them.  

100% of that shit gets fed through a shredder.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have a "burn bin" that all the shit with information gets put in to, I burn the mail maybe once or twice a year. To keep the pile from getting to big, I throw the envelopes and any paper without my information on it in the recycling bin. Everything else goes in the burn pile.

Then, I have a fire and bring my fucking trashbag full of bills, credit card applications, etc. And one by one, all night, I pull the shit out of the bag and throw it in the fire. So that is the second time it gets checked - just before I burn it.. Only once or twice have I been like, "Oh shit", and slipped a pertinent piece of paper into my back pocket, instead of the fire.
View Quote

I stuff all of my junk mail into the same envelopes they send me to return the info they're requesting and send it back to them, on their dime.

It's much more satisfying than just burning it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Good score!

Years after I switched my car insurance away from Allstate, I got an envelope from them marked "premium information" or something similar. I wondered WTF it could be about. Inside was a check for nearly $3000... apparently they had been calculating my premiums incorrectly and were issuing a refund
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I stuff all of my junk mail into the same envelopes they send me to return the info they're requesting and send it back to them, on their dime.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn. Thats brilliant. New tactic, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I used a $400 M/O to start a fire in my woodstove once  Guy from on the EE here sent payments in a company(that he owned) envelope with the digital address and stuff that looked all the world to me like junkmail.  We got it worked out,he got his stuff and I got another M/O a few weeks later.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I used a $400 M/O to start a fire in my woodstove once  Guy from on the EE here sent payments in a company(that he owned) envelope with the digital address and stuff that looked all the world to me like junkmail.  We got it worked out,he got his stuff and I got another M/O a few weeks later.
View Quote

You shit bricks at first?

Seems to take forever to get a refund on a M.O. At least it did with MoneyGram
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top