Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 4:45:36 PM EDT
There was some good discussion in the other thread about some of the guys here training.  I was checking out some DVD's last night, and I wanted to get some opinions on the different fighting organizations.  Do you have a preference between the UFC and PRIDE?  And any reasons why.

Me, I like watching the PRIDE events better, but I think the UFC usually has better undercards.  A lot of the PRIDE undercards are pretty weak, when they bring in the pro-wrestlers, etc.  The other thing I don't like about PRIDE is when they get tangled in the ropes or corner, they restart them in the center of the ring.  I've seen a few fights where guys used that break to subtly improve their position...I think it would be better if they restarted the fighters standing.

What I do like about PRIDE is they keep their good fighters around, so there's always future matches to look forward to, and fans recognize the names and know who the fighters are.  Their heavyweight division is pretty stacked, and there's a lot of good matches.  They keep their fighters around so fans are familiar with them.  Lots of times the UFC brings in fighters for one fight, or short contracts, and fans aren't really given the chance to get familiar with them.  Then guys win titles and leave, like Bustamante, Penn, they've had 'interim' champions when Tito Ortiz was having contract disputes and when Frank Mir got injured.  There hasn't been a real long term, dominant champion at any division other than Matt Hughes in a long time, but I think that Rich Franklin is going to have that belt for a while.  

I like the UFC rules better, they seem to keep the action flowing better.  But comparing the main events, I just find the PRIDE matches more exciting.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the cage aspect of UFC, I think it tends to push the action.  However, Pride definitely has the best fighters right now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
UFC is more entertaining for me, but I watch both.

I wish some of the stupid rules were done away with, but people would likely get real hurt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
you have the ask, UFC kick ass over pride. Watch Spike TV this thursday you'll see what I mean
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Pride has more money and gets the best fighters.  The UFC is catching up with guys like Franklin, GSP, and Arlovski but it will be a while before the playing field is even beetween the two organizations.  For what it's worth Franklin got paid $6000 for his last title defense in the UFC compared to the Pride Champs who make in the neighborhood of $100,000 per fight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Pride has more money and gets the best fighters.  The UFC is catching up with guys like Franklin, GSP, and Arlovski but it will be a while before the playing field is even beetween the two organizations.  For what it's worth Franklin got paid $6000 for his last title defense in the UFC compared to the Pride Champs who make in the neighborhood of $100,000 per fight.

+ 1 on that one.

I think that the TV show with UFC definitely got the UFC out of the dumps with the American viewers.

But yall got to remember, Japan is crazy about fighting, just as we get with the NFL or MLB. Brazil is

the same way. So as long as fighting is a passionate way of life in those countries, we may allways be

in the dust.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#6]
PRIDE has better fighters, more money, yellow card your ass (remove 10% of your paycheck) if you dont fight and just stand there, allows kick on the ground etc.  It is better.  I prefer the cage and the fact they dont reposition the fighters in the UFC.  Overall PRIDE is better, I like UFC though.  A friend is having Yves Edwards (#1 UFC lightweight contender) try to push to get him on the Ultimate Fighter show next year. He has to get 3 more MMA wins to qualify.  How he does in the Gladiator fights here in Houston will be a big factor in whether he makes it or not. Dana White is a jackass and does not take care of his fighters.  The whole corporate structure of the UFC is crap IMO.  Did you know the UFC makes you sign an agreement to not fight for anyone else but reserve the right to cancel your contract?  Thats just BS.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes I heard that about Dana White, and just watching him on season 1 you can tell he is all about the money.

I also am very informed about Edwards. He is very good and think that he would be a great addition to the show
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#8]
No Edwards cant be on the show he is already a top pro.  This friend of mone is an unknown in UFC as he has only done smaller shows thus far. Edwards is just petitioning to get him on the show.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote neither; try watching a Vale Tudo match... it's a real fight.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I vote neither; try watching a Vale Tudo match... it's a real fight.

Dude, I have tons of videos of BJJ fighters vs. Vale Tudo fighters

Lets just say the Vale guys didn't do so well
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
PRIDE has the better fighters, but that doesn't mean the UFC is less fun to watch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#12]
it depends.  UFC has a very solid 170 division and Franklin would match up very well against Henderson and Busta.  Pride does have the better LHW/HW fighters.  I watch both and don't have a favorite.  Yves is good but not #1.  Not sure if he's top 5 after his last loss.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello my name is Dimitri Mikroulis. I am fight consultant I have worked with Chris Brennan 3 Time King of the Cage champion UFC and Pride contender, Francisco Bueno 8 time Jiu-jitsu world Champion Pride contender, and Royce Gracie 4 time UFC champion.

I charge $200 an hour for private lessons
Please let me know if you’re interested.
Military and Law enforcement get %20 off.
South California only please.

Pride is fixed, the ref jumps in before a fighter taps like Royce Gracie, Don Fry and many other s Japanese fighters are favored
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hello my name is Dimitri Mikroulis. I am fight consultant I have worked with Chris Brennan 3 Time King of the Cage champion UFC and Pride contender, Francisco Bueno 8 time Jiu-jitsu world Champion Pride contender, and Royce Gracie 4 time UFC champion.

Pride is fixed, the ref jumps in before a fighter taps like Royce Gracie, Don Fry and many other s Japanese fighters are favored

PRIDE kicks ass and has better fighters.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh ya, my mommy can kick your mommy ass in baking

UFC is the best! elbows allowed, no repositioning (ghey) like pride, better REAL fighter (IMO)

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

UFC is the best! elbows allowed, no repositioning (ghey) like pride, better REAL fighter (IMO)

What are you talking about.  They stand people up in the UFC all the time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, but they dont move them to the middle (breaking up the action) when the fight moves toward the ropes and reposition exactly how they were.  At least UFC breakup allows them to stand and fight, with min disruption in action.

UFC is the true way MMA should be fought
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, but they dont move them to the middle (breaking up the action) when the fight moves toward the ropes and reposition exactly how they were.  At least UFC breakup allows them to stand and fight, with min disruption in action.

Horsecrap!

When PRIDE repositions fighters it's for a reason.  And when they do it so the person in control is still in control after the repostion that is fair in all aspects.

Too many fighters in the UFC grab hold of their opponent in the guard just because they know Big John will stand them up.

That's not a fair fight.  That's the cowards way out.

The rules state that if both fighters are in danger of falling out of the ring the ref stops the match and repostions.  That's fair.  PRIDE does not use a cage.  So a competitor could be seriously injured if they fell out of a ring 3 feet to the floor.

Read The Rules
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Horsecrap!

When PRIDE repositions fighters it's for a reason.  And when they do it so the person in control is still in control after the repostion that is fair in all aspects.

Too many fighters in the UFC grab hold of their opponent in the guard just because they know Big John will stand them up.

That's not a fair fight.  That's the cowards way out.

The rules state that if both fighters are in danger of falling out of the ring the ref stops the match and repostions.  That's fair.  PRIDE does not use a cage.  So a competitor could be seriously injured if they fell out of a ring 3 feet to the floor.

Read The Rules

Ok, so when fighter go in guard it because they know Bjohn will stand them up. In your own words "horsecrap"

It because they dont want fucking elbows to the face, but pride doesnt allow elbows so that make them inferior to UFC.

FWIW you like pride I dig UFC, watch your stage fights in pride, and I'll enjoy real men fighting to the end.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:31:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Real fighting involves stomps and kicking downed fighters.  That's a no-no in the UFC.  Therefore, I favor PRIDE FC.  Plus PRIDE doesn't test for anabolic agents.  Plenty of freaks in PRIDE as a result -- Vanderlei, CroCop, Bob Sapp, Coleman, etc.  UFC is still a great organization though.      

I've got all the UFC and PRIDE events on my computer.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree.  I like the UFC as well.  I have been a fan since the early 90's.

But I still say PRIDE is better.  They have better fighters and larger pockets when it comes to paying fighters.

That's why so many UFC fighters also fight in PRIDE.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I agree.  I like the UFC as well.  I have been a fan since the early 90's.

But I still say PRIDE is better.  They have better fighters and larger pockets when it comes to paying fighters.

That's why so many UFC fighters also fight in PRIDE.

Very few UFC fighters are allowed to fight in PRIDE.  PRIDE fighters can come to the UFC however.  Dana is too big a control freak/money grubber to allow his fighters to persue better money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I wish they had an organisation with the following:

Allow kicks on ground
Allow headbutts
Allow elbows on ground
Allow knees to head on ground
In a cage
Yellow card for lack of action
Stand up if no action on ground for 30 seconds
4-10  three minute rounds like boxing

This would allow more striking, more treatment of cuts, more fast paced action, and allow stand up guys more than 3 or 4 attempts to catch a wrestler moving in for a takedown the whole fight. I hate watching wrestling for 3 minutes straight with nothing happening. Point scoring should favor striking.  It would be much more entertaining that way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Not gonna happen with a US based show.  Pretty crappy 30sec rule and 3 minute rounds, IMO.  I like Pride's 10-5-5 format.  

What Pride fighters have been in the UFC?  Chuck and Vitor was sent to Pride but Pride didn't send any of their fighters over.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wish they had an organisation with the following:

Allow kicks on ground
Allow headbutts
Allow elbows on ground
Allow knees to head on ground
In a cage
Yellow card for lack of action
Stand up if no action on ground for 30 seconds
4-10  three minute rounds like boxing

This would allow more striking, more treatment of cuts, more fast paced action, and allow stand up guys more than 3 or 4 attempts to catch a wrestler moving in for a takedown the whole fight. I hate watching wrestling for 3 minutes straight with nothing happening. Point scoring should favor striking.  It would be much more entertaining that way.

Yeah thats all most how I would have it.
I loved the earlier days with Mark Kerr.
UFC has a good thing going but they need to LET THEM FIGHT.
Not be a bunch of FUCKIN PUSSIES about fighters on the ground
PRIDE will always pay more. Japs are freaks about fighting. Brazil is the same way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top