Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2005 4:46:15 PM EDT
Breaking: Possible SAM Attack Against US Plane

I’ve just received a credible tip from an LGF reader that an America West flight out of New York was fired upon by a surface to air missile yesterday, and that the pilot and passengers witnessed it and are now being questioned by the FAA and FBI.

That’s the extent of the information I currently have, and please note: right now this is completely unverified.

littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=17543_Breaking-_Possible_SAM_Attack_Against_US_Plane&only
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
tagged for confirmation....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing happening on Fox, CNN, et all.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If the passengers witnessed it, it sounds doubtful to me.

There would be a line of people just waiting to get their big faces on TV....not too mention, telling their friends and relatives.

It would be ALL over.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nothing happening on Fox, CNN, et all.

If it did happen, they'll put a massive lid on it, because of the impact on the already struggling airline industry.

LGF is a reputable site, btw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]
edited
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

There would be a line of people just waiting to get their big faces on TV....not too mention, telling their friends and relatives.

It would be ALL over.

I do not believe so.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"credible tip" = complete bs.

LGF broke the Rather-gate story which led to his early retirement.  They are a reputable site.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LGF broke the Rather-gate story which led to his early retirement.  They are a reputable site.

Alrighty, I'll open mouth insert foot. Figured they were just another blog.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alrighty, I'll open mouth insert foot. Figured they were just another blog.

We still need some sort of confirmation, but I believe even if it did happen, they'll put a lid on it, because of the massive economic impact on the struggling airline industry.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#11]
It could have been anyone, so don't be as quick as the media and jump to Al Qaeda.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag this biotch
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It could have been anyone, so don't be as quick as the media and jump to Al Qaeda.

Anyone can get their hands on a SAM?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Twenty nine were stolen in New York a few years back, but they do have a limited shelf life.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be ALL over.

I do not believe so.

Okay - tell me how you would get 100 civilians to keep a secret.

Wouldn't you think just one of them would have flipped open their cell phone to call their spouse and say "Honey, somebody just shot a missile at me and I just want to say "I love you" just in case".

C'mon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, yea.

Stolen arsenal. Porous boarders. Organized crime.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be ALL over.

I do not believe so.

Wouldn't you think just one of them would have flipped open their cell phone to call their spouse and say "Honey, somebody just shot a missile at me and I just want to say "I love you" just in case".

C'mon.

A visit or phone call from a fed saying please do not speak to the press as it would endanger on on-going investigation and failure to abide by this would result in possible prison time for impeding a federal investigation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it's unlikely that crew and passengers would see one. Perhaps one or the other, but not both. Visibility isn't good out of airline cockpit windows, let alone passenger windows, and their respective fields of view don't coincide.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
We do have a confirmed case of someone attempting to use a SAM against a B-1 bomber taking off of a military base in the Midwest about three months ago.  It was confirmed by a law enforcement officer on this board, who saw the bulletin.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be ALL over.

I do not believe so.

I do
either the passengers would be getting on every news station possible, or they'd be locked away until questioned and told to shut up, in which case friends and family would be all over the news saying that a whole plane full of people was in lockup
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#25]
This credible source wouldn't happen to be from south Florida would it?

Tag, hoping it isn't true.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes! At any gunshow! I see them for sale all the time! According to Hollywood and the liberal mainstream press, American gun shows are where all terrorists get their "weapons of choice"!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be ALL over.

I do not believe so.

C'mon.

A visit or phone call from a fed saying please do not speak to the press as it would endanger on on-going investigation and failure to abide by this would result in possible prison time for impeding a federal investigation.

That's a BS threat that couldn't be upheld because of the 1st amendment.

Having worked with folks who held clearances for 20 years, I can tell you that even they can't keep a secret....much less 100 Bozos just waiting to get their face on Larry King.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Obviously it was either Karl Rove or the Jews.  Or both.  Or maybe the Freemasons or the subterranean lizard people.  Can a lizard person manipulate the firing mechanism on an SA-14?

Anyway, I totally agree that there are MANY viable possibilities either than AQ, and we'll probably never know the TRUTH.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
This was confirmed, and the media said nothing about it

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=372528

You will see where LEO confirmed the bulletin.  They put a lid on this type of thing, believe me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This was confirmed, and the media said nothing about it

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=372528

You will see where LEO confirmed the bulletin.  They put a lid on this type of thing, believe me.

There are HUGE differences between your link and what has been alleged to have happened to this airliner.

In your link:

It was alleged that middle eastern appearing men aimed what appeared to be be a SAM at a B-1.

In this thread:

It is alleged that a SAM was fired at a passenger airliner.

Not to mention that a B-1 crew carries what...3 or 4 personnel?

Now, how many on an airliner?

Think about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Trust me if anything like that happened anywhere near NY, I wouldn't be able to post on this PC right now.

Edited to add: Didn't hear anything out of my friends at the Port Authority PD of NY/NJ either.

Suuuuure - I bet the Feds made you post that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Gee, those silly kids, and those Estes rockets
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to tag this thread.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I can find no other sources about it other than the LGF article.  If, after 48 hours, nobody else has anything about it, its likely BS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#38]
personally i wouldna be suprised. to this day i wonder about that plane in ny that went down right after 9/11 and they investigated and said it was a screw drive on the elevators.

i also wonder about that plane that went down right after it left the coast and many said it was a missile from a ship (which i dont think it was) i think it was a shoe bomber (remember the tanks went they said it was wiring in the tanks..and didna richard reed sit right over the tanks? ).

and remember that plane that went down with an egyptian pilot and it was sort dropped.. some people said he commited suicide, some people said last the last thing said on voice recorder was 'allah akbar' or something similar. then that storry died?

i think that when they can the fuzz things up. i would not be a bit suprised to hear somebody tried to get a plane with a bottle rocket and it sort dries up and disapears as a story.... not so sure i disagree with the tactics either.. sorta takes the wind out of the terrorist sails....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know about the other crashes, but they have a clear recording of the Egyptian Pilot screaming Allahu Akhbar as the plane nosedived into the ocean, taking out a large portion of the Egyptian Military Leadership.  To this day, I believe it was intentional.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
$100 says it didn't happen.   Any takers?  Didn't think so...  

I'll bet you 100 dollars it didn't happen ... if it didn't happen, I win 100 dollars, right?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn glad it is reported to be a SAM and not a firearm.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Color me skeptical.

Waiting for a news story...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I don't know about the other crashes, but they have a clear recording of the Egyptian Pilot screaming Allahu Akhbar as the plane nosedived into the ocean, taking out a large portion of the Egyptian Military Leadership.  To this day, I believe it was intentional.

It was proven intentional.  Immediately after the crash, it was somewhat amusing to hear all his family wailing about people stereotyping the pilot as another crazy Arab terrorist, not all Arabs are terrorists, why do people always say that?  Of course, the stereotypes and rush to judgement all turned out to be correct.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Things that make you go hmmmm……

Missile smuggler Lakhani jailed for 47 years
By Alex Galbinski
A businessman from Hendon was sentenced to 47 years in prison on Monday after being found guilty of attempting to smuggle missiles into America.

Clothing merchant Hemant Lakhani, 70, of Wykeham Road, was convicted in April this year of trying to sell shoulder-launched missiles to a Somali terrorist group to shoot down commercial airliners.

The case centred on the evidence of the US government's key witness, Mohammed Habib Rehman, an informant posing as a representative of the Somali-based Ogaden National Liberation Front interested in buying missiles.

The court in Newark, New Jersey, heard tape-recorded telephone conversations and viewed video surveillance of meetings between Lakhani and Mr Rehman.

One video, filmed secretly at a hotel, shows Lakhani and Mr Rehman standing by a window overlooking the airport with a disabled Russian-made Igla shoulder-fired missile in a box, discussing how missiles could be used to bring down airplanes in several locations simultaneously.

Lakhani was arrested after an FBI sting in August 2003. He has always maintained his innocence. Defending him, Henry Klingeman argued that he was the victim of government entrapment because the missile seller and buyer were government agents.

Indian-born Lakhani, who underwent a double hernia operation and heart surgery since the trial began in January, addressed the court for 15 minutes on Monday, begging Judge Katherine Hayden for leniency. "I don't want to die here in this country," he told the court.

But Judge Hayden said there was overwhelming evidence of his reprehensible conduct.' The government had argued that Lakhani had planned to arrange the sale of at least 50 more missiles after the sale of the first one.

He had been convicted on all five charges against him: attempting to provide material support to terrorists; weapons brokering; attempting to import goods into the US using false statements; and two counts of money laundering.

Prosecutors sought the maximum on each count a total of 67 years with assistant US attorney Stuart Rabner giving evidence in which Lakhani volunteered praise for Osama bin Laden. "We may see a man who looks like us and dresses like us, but is so morally bankrupt that he plots the death of thousands of people," he said.

Lakhani's wife, Kusum, who worked at the Sangam Centre in Burnt Oak, told the judge her husband was not a terrorist. "He would never even kill an ant," she said.

Jason Ezekiel, a plumber who recently bought the Lakhanis' home in Wykeham Road, said one of their relatives disputed the charges the businessman faced.

"He told me that he was a very kind and gentle man who wouldn't hurt a fly and that it was a shame that he got involved in this whole incident," he explained.

Another neighbour, David Ipale, who has lived in the road for 26 years, said: "Lakhani was never here very much. He was on business trips all the time so didn't have much communication with neighbours."

Mr Ipale was not surprised by the long sentence and felt it was justified. "I wasn't shocked," he said. "If the guy is guilty then he deserves it. If innocent people could die because someone is guilty, he deserves every moment he gets. He should serve his term. It's not long enough. People who play with fire get burned."

Thant Aye, 54, a former neighbour, said: "He found himself in a pickle and is now being branded as a terrorist, but he's not.

"It is a 21st Century David and Goliath war. The jury has been fed with Goliath-sized evidence of controvertible thinking rather than incontrovertible evidence.

"It's Swiss-cheese evidence full of holes."

He added that he expected Lakhani to appeal.

http://www.thisishertfordshire.co.uk/news/barnet/display.var.630956.0.missile_smuggler_lakhani_jailed_for_47_years.php

Thanks ANdy.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be ALL over.

I do not believe so.

C'mon.

That's a BS threat that couldn't be upheld because of the 1st amendment.

Having worked with folks who held clearances for 20 years, I can tell you that even they can't keep a secret....much less 100 Bozos just waiting to get their face on Larry King.

1st Amendment doesn't mean shit when dealing with national security issues, especially since 9/11.
I reasonably expect people to be silenced if/when something like this happens.  At least initially
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were looted from the New Orleans Wal-Mart.

I kinda wonder if the warehouses in NOLA got hit hard....

Weapons gotta come from somewhere.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top