Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 6:20:02 PM EDT
What's the difference from a salary/career standpoint?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for curiosity
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Executive MBA is for senior management with idk 15-20 yrs experience.  School I go to part time charges them obscene amounts of money. Company pays for it and gives the dude a position higher up in the company afterward. In
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I'm Pmba as in professional with four five years of experience
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Executive MBA is for senior management with idk 15-20 yrs experience.  School I go to part time charges them obscene amounts of money. Company pays for it and gives the dude a position higher up in the company afterward. In
View Quote

So say the dude already had a got a PMBA, would they have just promoted him? Do the degrees both still say MBA on them, or what?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So say the dude already had a got a PMBA, would they have just promoted him? Do the degrees both still say MBA on them, or what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are all just MBAs, its about who the program caters to, with fancy titles.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if you get a PMBA it's basically the same as a regular MBA (pretty much)?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, same piece of paper.

MBA = full time on campus students

PMBA = part time night classes

EMBA = just like a PMBA but a few differences because of experience.

But they all get you the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Just get a mba
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
They are all going to say MBA on your diploma.  The PMBA is probably not going to offer a concentration (such as finance, strategy, operations, etc.) but will be a good all around "Practical" MBA for most folks.  The EMBA is likely going to have less homework and likely be more theory, lecture, and practical demonstration of skills through capstone projects, etc.   Generally speaking if your company sends you for an EMBA they are already convinced in your capabilities and want to round you out a bit, as well as fill out your resume a bit (could be useful for investors to see that the new COO actually has an MBA vs. a BA in Art History for example, even though his practical experience proves he's more than capable).

Personally the biggest thing I'd recommend is getting your MBA from an accredited program, and making sure you understand clearly what your employer's compensation policy is.   Many folks don't get an automatic salary increase just for doing the MBA, but it could certainly help in future promotions.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exaxtly
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
It's my humble understanding that an EMBA from a reputable school is a big deal. I know I don't qualify.

You essentially need to be in a management level position at a large reputable company before you'll even be considered for an EMBA. At the same school a regular MBA runs about 94 - 96K depending on what field of discipline (there are several with many involving "technical management") but for an EMBA I recall the number being slightly higher although not by much.

YMMV, I'm sure an EMBA from University of Phoenix Online is going to differ drastically in quality, price, and standing than an EMBA from UW so use your best discretion.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's my humble understanding that an EMBA from a reputable school is a big deal. I know I don't qualify.

You essentially need to be in a management level position at a large reputable company before you'll even be considered for an EMBA. At the same school a regular MBA runs about 94 - 96K depending on what field of discipline (there are several with many involving "technical management") but for an EMBA I recall the number being slightly higher although not by much.

YMMV, I'm sure an EMBA from University of Phoenix Online is going to differ drastically in quality, price, and standing than an EMBA from UW so use your best discretion.
View Quote

An EMBA from University of Phoenix Online is not the same as an EMBA from Standford, Harvard, Kellogg, etc.   No offense to those that have done an MBA that route, but most Fortune 500 companies are going to expect Ivy league MBA's for officers, and if not Ivy league, at least Top 25 B-schools based on Harvard review rankings.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]
don't bother unless you can afford a top 25 school.

if you can set $100-200k on fire, or better yet have a family with money, you're set.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

don't bother unless you can afford a top 25 school.

if you can set $100-200k on fire, or better yet have a family with money, you're set.
View Quote

It's all about the student and his motives.

I plan to start my MBA this time next, a raise or a nice paying job would be nice. But with an MBA, you have everything you need to venture out on your own.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

An EMBA from University of Phoenix Online is not the same as an EMBA from Standford, Harvard, Kellogg, etc.   No offense to those that have done an MBA that route, but most Fortune 500 companies are going to expect Ivy league MBA's for officers, and if not Ivy league, at least Top 25 B-schools based on Harvard review rankings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with my post but I'm with ya.

I looked at an EMBA from the University of Washington and basically found out that I'd need to be a director or above (I work at a Fortune 500) in order to qualify.

On the other side of the coin, I have plenty of friends who went into the regular MBA program with little work experience, and now they're hitting up jerk offs like me to get a foot in the door. . . . usually as an intern or entry level.

I think many folks turn to an MBA to get them a job, but in actuality it should be used as a supplement not a replacement for job experience.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#17]
paging DKProf.  DKProf, White courtesy phone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

As a rule (and programs will vary from school to school), here are the differences:

MBA typically refers to a full-time program, that usually takes 18 to 20 months, and involves lots of elective classes, concentrations, tracks or similar opportunities to specialize.  Schools normally prefer 3-7 years of post-graduate work experience (but some schools also have accelerated programs that allow undergrads to move directly into a MBA program after graduation).

PMBA (which can mean "professional" MBA or "part time" MBA, or other similar designations) are programs designed for students who already have full-time jobs, and are taking classes in the evenings.  These used to take 3 to 4 years, but have become more concentrated, and some programs are now down to about 20 months as well.  In some schools, there might be fewer options in terms of electives and concentrations in their PMBA program.

EMBA (executive MBA) is the "premium" MBA degree, both because it is typically more expensive than the MBA or PMBA, and because it is targeted at people with more experience.  Normally, a minimum of 7 years work experience is required (typically existing managerial experience), and the average length of experience in a program like this can be close to 20 years.  EMBA programs are normally on the weekend, and are getting shorter and shorter - so some are down to about 20 months as well.  

So the PMBA and the EMBA are much more difficult (in a sense), because people need to be motivated and disciplined enough to take the same level of credits and coursework, while at the same time juggling work, family, etc.  Being a full-time MBA student is really not that hard, even if some of the classes might be quantitatively challenging.

View Quote

That's exactly what I said!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top