Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 9:51:40 AM EST
I have to replace the main shutoff valve to my condo, and the main for the building looks like this-

I found references to a 2" square main key online but there's not a lot of info I can find- The plumbing supply place here is closed today, of course...

Thanks for any/all help!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:55:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 9:56:48 AM EST by Hawken50]
Is the square raised or depressed? cant tell for sure from the pics. if it's raised, you'll probably be able to get a standard 6 point socket to grip it. just try different sizes till you find one that'll grip.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:59:44 AM EST
It's raised, and the circle in the middle is slightly depressed. Problem is, IF I could find a socket big enough to fit and still catch the corners, I don't have an extension nearly long enough. The valve is 4 feet or more below grade in a 5" tube sump. I think I need something like this
lawndale forge water main shut-off wrench
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:00:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 10:05:45 AM EST by 41Chevy]

eta: seriously they have them
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:03:23 AM EST
4ft deep? head to the hardware store and get a 6ft piece of sqare stock of a diameter that will fit over the square and a big crecent wrench. fit square stock over square, turn stock with crecent wrench.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:01:45 PM EST
well, I tried Lowe's and got the usual deer-in-head-lights look I get there when asking for help. Nothing but the standard u-shape water shut-off keys there...

Hardware store didn't have square tube stock big enough, nor did Lowes/Home Depot.

I got some big sockets at Sears and a couple of extensions. I guess I can at least return the sockets that don't fit. As soon as it stops pouring rain outside I'll give them a shot to see if any fit...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:58:53 PM EST
Call your water company and have them shut it off for you. They have the key.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:07:46 PM EST
Can't have the utility do it, as it's a condo- i have to get everyone together with enough notice, and then just have the water off long enough to do the repair and turn it back on. The wc isn't going to sit around and wait, etc...

I'll never live in a condo/duplex/apartment/etc. again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:11:49 PM EST
I have one but it's a bit big to ship.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:20:41 PM EST
Get a piece of square tubing and a cresent.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:19:02 PM EST
Plumbing supply store.

landscape supply store (aka sprinkler supply store) will have one.

Lowes/HD might, just maybe.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:25:01 AM EST
Call a plumbing supply house with a water works department. Around here we call them street keys. Depending on the length, expect $50-$80.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:14:36 AM EST
If you can't find a piece of square tubing, get two pieces of angle and weld them together to form the correct size square. Tack a length of pipe to it with a tee at the end and two nipples for handles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:48:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By VRMN8R:
Call your water company and have them shut it off for you. They have the key.

I had to call the water company once and have them shut off the water to the house. They said, "No problem" and came right out to shut it off. A few hours later we called them to come turn it back on. They wanted $40 to turn the water back on!
We figured it out on our own. Used a crescent wrench iirc. The hole in the yard was bigger than the op's so we had some room to work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:57:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2009 8:59:16 AM EST by capt205]
Its called a Water Key, or a Water Gate Key...Look Here

We call them Street Keys, and have one on every Engine.
Top Top