Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/3/2006 7:12:11 AM EDT
I'm a C&R holder and get about a half dozen flyers from different sellers and while on the pot last night I came across some 9mm that uses a plastic bullet and is around 30 grains. I forget who was selling it, possibly Inter Ordinance, Century or Centerfire. Said it was a safe practice round and they only cost about 5 bucks for 80. I'm tempted to get some to try out but wonder if the plastic could get stuck in the rifleing of the barrel? I'm assuming it's a pretty hard plastic, but it sounds like this could be a fun round to use for practice in the backyard or something provided it's accurate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 7:15:17 AM EDT by hardcorps1775]
i've seen plastic german rounds. they're accurate out to typical combat pistol ranges and they ARE made of hard plastic. i've got a box of 9's and several boxes of simunitions (course, they're not made to fire out of real firearms).

ETA: also have some east german plastic ak practice rounds.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:33:02 AM EDT
This confuses me. Perhaps some of the ballistics backyard physica people can help me understand.

I would think plastic though a barrel would end up melting, or at least leaving resident at a certain point. Of course, I'd imagine the friction of plastic on steel would be less than lead on steel.

How would plastic maintain the rotational velocity without the mass of lead?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:54:38 AM EDT
No gunpowder. Powered by the primer only.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:59:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BlammO:
No gunpowder. Powered by the primer only.

Nope.

The Hirtenberger 9mm Plastic ammo with a 3Gn (not 30Gn) plastic bullet has both a primer and powder charge. They sell for $2.97 a box at SG
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:01:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:
I'm a C&R holder and get about a half dozen flyers from different sellers and while on the pot last night I came across some 9mm that uses a plastic bullet and is around 30 grains.

30Gns is as heavy as a CCI Stinger bullet or some 25ACP loads. The Hirtenberger plastic 9mm ammo weighs 3Gns.

The only use i could see for it is a 9mm revolver as it wont cycle the action of a semi.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:04:06 AM EDT
Ahhh, gotcha. The 30 grains should've been my clue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:25:16 AM EDT
Has anyone shot these out of a semi-auto? I'm gonna pick up a box just for fun, but wonder if there's enough propellent to make them cycle? They say they are training rounds so I imagine they would. Also how loud should I expect these to be? I'll be shooting in a suburban neighborhood on an acre lot, with no neighbors for 1/4 mile behind my backstop.
Top Top