Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 12:26:52 PM EDT
I found this pic I nearly forgot about while organizing some photos. My brother in law could no longer afford to keep his truck, and needed to return it to the dealer. Some folks would just take it back. We thought "Well, might as well have some fun with it first". And we were right!

This was taken in Ceres, California across the street from my old house, on a construction site. My wife was too pissed off at us to take any more pictures.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
seems like it would be fun, but is not something I would consider the "right" thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
seems like it would be fun, but is not something I would consider the "right" thing to do.

Sometimes what's "right" and what's "fun" don't agree with each other.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
When it comes to cars, and car dealers, my view of right/wrong become very skewed towards I can do no wrong.  They are taking large sums of money from me every month, and if I had to give a car back, I would go have some fun too.  I'm paying for the right to have that fun, and the dealer can eat my shorts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats hilarious
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Better hope he doesn't notice any paint damage.  Otherwise your in-law is going to be pissed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Better hope he doesn't notice any paint damage.  Otherwise your in-law is going to be pissed.

He was driving. I was in the passenger seat doing my best "WOOOOOOO HAAA! This thang got a Hemi?!?" impersonation.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When it comes to cars, and car dealers, my view of right/wrong become very skewed towards I can do no wrong.  They are taking large sums of money from me every month, and if I had to give a car back, I would go have some fun too.  I'm paying for the right to have that fun, and the dealer can eat my shorts.

It's still a "repo" whether you take it back or Bubba and Leroy “repo” it out of your driveway one night. You have defaulted on a loan; it doesn't hurt the dealer at all. It's the bank that trusted you with their money that has to sell the truck and make their money back. And guess what, if the truck doesn't sell for what you owe against it, you are responsible for the difference. So if you fuck up the truck and it brings less when the bank sells it, you have hurt yourself not them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's still a "repo" whether you take it back or Bubba and Leroy “repo” it out of your driveway one night. You have defaulted on a loan; it doesn't hurt the dealer at all. It's the bank that trusted you with their money that has to sell the truck and make their money back. And guess what, if the truck doesn't sell for what you owe against it, you are responsible for the difference. So if you fuck up the truck and it brings less when the bank sells it, you have hurt yourself not them.

You are correct wayne I Repo when I'm laid off and that is exactly what happens. I've had people take the rims and tires off and a lot of weird shit they are only hurting themselves in the long run unless they are going to file Chapter 7.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in the process of declaring bankrupcy. Besides, we didn't fuck up the truck.

That bad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct wayne I Repo when I'm laid off and that is exactly what happens. I've had people take the rims and tires off and a lot of weird shit they are only hurting themselves in the long run unless they are going to file Chapter 7.

You don't think they were taking off the rims/tires to make it harder to repo it, do you?
Hmmm...If I chose to wilingly return a car to a dealer, versus have it repo'd....wouldn't you think it's still my car till I turned it over?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
About three years ago, I was in the market for a new car (totaled a Grand Prix) and was at a local car dealership in Salem, Oregon (I have since moved-thank God). Well, I didn't find anything that really jumped out at me, but this annoying little salesman kept pushing this 02 Chevy Cavalier on me. Well, I decided to see about financing it and gave them my info. The dealers told me to go ahead and take the car home and they would call me when my loan was approved (I was waiting for my insurance company to pay for my Grand Prix). Anyways.....45 days later, they hadn't called me back, so one of my friends and I took it up some logging roads outside of town and went shooting for the day.....Without washing it, I took it back to the dealership and told them they could keep it, as I was not satisfied.....I felt a little guilty about returning a trashed car, but when the manager started being a dick, my guilt vanished....I never wnt back to that dealership, but I still have the keys to that car. oh well thats my joy riding story...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't think they were taking off the rims/tires to make it harder to repo it, do you?
Hmmm...If I chose to wilingly return a car to a dealer, versus have it repo'd....wouldn't you think it's still my car till I turned it over?  

No I mean as I was putting it on the roll back wait a minute I want the rims and tires. I can tell you one thing out of the hundreds and I do mean hundreds of repos I've done I've never NOT recovered an item and I'm talking anything from cars to stero equip. airplanes you name it if you dont pay for it in wisconsin we will take it from you willing or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a good example of how it came to be that he couldn't afford the truck.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Looks like a good example of how it came to be that he couldn't afford the truck.

Yes, very mature.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you get air?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And helped increase the rates for those of us who are responsible.  Someone who actually pays their debts has to make up for the losers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did you get air?

Oh yes. Yes we did.

EDIT: Well, a little. Like I said, we didn't really fuck up his truck too bad. Mostly, I think we knocked the alignment out and got it filthy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, very mature.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#19]
classy, too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, It's not your car untill it's paid for.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]
about 3 years ago, I was awoken at 2am by the sounds the assclown that lived down the road smashing the piss out of his car with a sledge hammer.  After he was arrested for public drunkeness and trying to flee, we found out he was doing it because it was getting repod.    Haven't seen the  f'n idiot since.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, very mature.

+1

...parents must be proud
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes what's "right" and what's "fun" don't agree with each other.

[S.W.A.T.]Sometimes doing the right thing aint doin the right thing[/S.W.A.T.]  And that applies here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I guess you can say he drove it like he stole it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#25]
We always talk about how real men should take responsiblities for their own life and their actions and yell and scream about how thats a liberal problem, but someone posts pics of themselves abusing the system in the same way and half the board goes 'cool'.  I'm sure glad this life is not the pinnacle of my existence.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Nope. If it was yours you wouldn't be "turning it in". It's not yours until you have fulfilled your obligation to satisfy the terms of the loan agreement and have a lien release.  

oops... jfrush beat me to it LOL
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Let's see... Your brother-in-law screws up.  Instead of admitting his responsibility (or lack thereof), he decides to crap on the truck while you go along for the ride.

Give an "atta girl" to your wife.  Apparently she's the only one involved who has some character.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Let's see... Your brother-in-law screws up.  Instead of admitting his responsibility (or lack thereof), he decides to crap on the truck while you go along for the ride.

Give an "atta girl" to your wife.  Apparently she's the only one involved who has some character.  

Character is overrated.   I wouldn't do some shit like this, but I like watching others do it lol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, this thread didn't go as planned.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I found this pic I nearly forgot about while organizing some photos. My brother in law could no longer afford to keep his truck, and needed to return it to the dealer. Some folks would just take it back. We thought "Well, might as well have some fun with it first". And we were right!

alan.strawinski.net/images/family/DCP02194-WEB.JPG

This was taken in Ceres, California across the street from my old house, on a construction site. My wife was too pissed off at us to take any more pictures.

what a tiny world..i was born and raised in Turlock...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Well, this thread didn't go as planned.

So why not just trash it and give it back?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa! Too cool. I lived in Modesto, Delhi and Ceres. I moved almost exactly a year ago. When did you escape?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa! Too cool. I lived in Modesto, Delhi and Ceres. I moved almost exactly a year ago. When did you escape?

I got out about 5yrs ago........still go back every other month. All my family still lives there. Huge culture shock though, Turlock to Las Vegas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top