Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 4:28:16 PM EDT
Wonderful.

PETA seems to be protesting KFC - you know what that means, right?  Everyone go out and pick up a bucket of chicken!

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=533&e=3&cid=533&u=/ap/20030106/ap_on_re_us/peta_kfc[/url]

NORFOLK, Va. - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said Monday it is launching a boycott against KFC because of alleged animal-rights abuses by the chain of fried-chicken restaurants.

AP Photo

The Norfolk-based animal rights group said it has tried for nearly two years to persuade KFC's parent company, Yum Brands Inc. of Louisville, Ky., to change the way it raises and slaughters chickens.

PETA said that because those negotiations failed, it will launch a campaign to put public pressure on the company.

Yum denied PETA's allegations.

"We require all of our suppliers to follow welfare guidelines, developed by us with leading experts on our animal welfare advisory council," the company said. "Our suppliers are receiving unannounced audits at their poultry facilities throughout the year. Failure to comply with our strict guidelines would result in termination of our supplier agreement, if remedial action is not taken."

PETA said it wants an end to "crude and ineffective electric stunning and throat-slitting" of chickens, and called for improvements in the conditions under which the chickens are raised. The organization said the birds should be allowed more space.

Yum, which was created in 1997 as a spinoff of food businesses formerly owned by PepsiCo, also owns the Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and Long John Silver restaurant chains.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
MMMMmmmm I'll have 2 breasts... and a side order of Thighs... YUM

[;d]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Note to self.  Must eat more breasts and thighs at KFC.  Anything to piss off PETA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Um, like PETA was going to shop at KFC before this?

PETA is a perfect example of an organization that gets a mountainload of press but acheives nothing except to make people laugh.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I knew their ticker abbreviation was YUM, but I thought the company was called Tricon Global Restaurants or something? I am sooo out of touch.

Anyway - I am hungry now for some KFC, even that emaciated bony versions they sell here.

Adam
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL! Poor Friggin Chickens. Poor friggin lobsters, crabs, cows, pigs. Somebody has got to be on top of the food chain. Sucks to be a chicken, Kicks ass to be me lickin my fingers after a two piece original with extra mashed potatoes. [nana]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I stopped eating there when I found out that they cut the chicken in such a way to produce [b]THREE[/b] breasts per bird.

Popeyes is better anyway.

oh, and screw PETA.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a big meat eater - almost none.  However, I'm going to go to KFC, get a big bucket of dead birds, and carry it to the nearest homeless shelter and donate it in the name of PETA.  I encourage everyone here to do the same.  [coffee]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL! Poor Friggin Chickens. Poor friggin lobsters, crabs, cows, pigs. Somebody has got to be on top of the food chain. Sucks to be a chicken, Kicks ass to be me lickin my fingers after a two piece original with extra mashed potatoes. [nana]
View Quote

Sharks, saltwater crocodiles, Bengal tigers, hyenas, etc. – we’re not always at the top of the food chain!  [:D]

That said, humans are the only animal that make even the slightest pretense of treating their food sources humanely (hence the term, I guess).

PETA should really be protesting the cruel actions of literally every meat eater except humans.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
'He may be Col. Sanders to y'all, but he's Adolph Eichmann to us!' - Unidentified chicken.

Eric The(Yummy!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Col. Sanders at the Pearly Gates:

[img]http://www.vegetus.org/vegtoon/kfc.jpg[/img]

Eric The([:D]Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://www.vegetus.org/vegtoon/sanders.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#16]
[red]Vegetarians[/red] boycotting KFC...this will effect KFC??? What a bunch-o loons!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Morons. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Morons. [rolleyes]
View Quote

AMEN!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:30:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I had just had a bucket of chicken last night, along with some mashed potatoes.  

I am thinking I will go there for lunch today, too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#20]
KFC is not the problem, the problem is in the entire way that livestock is produced these days. Sorry folks, gotta take the other side on this one, at least a little.

Pick up the book, The Mad Cowboy. It's a quick read, written by a cattle rancher who has since become a vegetarian. He's a little eccentric, but explains in detail the differences between the way farming (in particular raising livestock) was done by his father (pre-1950) and how he and everyone else does/did it in modern times.

We have done a good job of increasing production and lowering the cost of meat. The downside is that we are affecting our environment and health by doing so. Everyone would agree that overuse of fertilizers and pesticides is not a good thing. But that's what has to be done to grow food to feed livestock. 90% of the grain grown in the US is fed to livestock.

The days of the mom and pop farmer that raised a few hundred of whatever animal, treated them well during their lives, is over. Now its high production, shot up with antibiotics (necessary so that livestock can survive the unsanitary conditions), fast slaughter methods, etc., etc. Personally, I'd rather see animals hunted for food.

There will come a time, probably in our lifetime, when this gravy train will end and the cost of meat will skyrocket. The population in the US has doubled since 1950, and it doesn't take a math wizard to figure out that we're going to have a hard time feeding the people of the year 2050 and all the livestock as well. (I hope the year 2050 will still be during my lifetime :) ).

PETA are the extremists on this issue, at least in the "mainstream". They would do better by educating people about livestock production in general and its environmental and health costs. The fact is, mainstream people (whatever that means) only care about animals that are pets or that might be hunted (kind of cracks me up -- Bambi has a far better life and death at the hands of a hunter than Besse has at the hands of a rancher). PETA seems to center on the "animal welfare" issue, which people generally don't want to hear.

Well enough of this. Don't flame me to much, I'm a pretty good guy :).
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm gonna go write PETA an email telling them that their poster made me hungry for chicken.  Be right back!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#22]
PETA's email address
[email protected]

My letter
Hi!  I just wanted to thank you guys for putting up that poster about KFC's cruelty to chickens.  Its outrageous that someone would do something like that to animals.  What made me feel so bad was the fact that all these chickens were being killed by KFC and I havnt been eating them!  I just made a new years resolution that I will eat KFC at least once a week.  There is no reason that those poor birds shouldn't be put to rest in my belly!

Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#23]
HAHAHHAHAHA I just found this on [url]www.kfccruelty.com[/url]

Chickens are inquisitive and interesting animals and are thought to be at least as intelligent as dogs or cats. When in natural surroundings, not on factory farms, they form friendships and social hierarchies, recognize one another, love their young, and enjoy a full life, dust bathing, making nests, roosting in trees, and more.
View Quote

Whats the and more part?  

I cant count the times that I've come home from a bad day at work and my pet chicken was there to greet me at the door.  I cant believe how loyal my pet chicken is.  Why, just the other day my chicken and I were out playing fetch when some stranger tried to attack me.  My chicken was right there to save the day!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#24]
rjohnson,
Growing food to feed the world (which is what we do here in America) is big business.  Dare I say it is a "Special Interest", yes, it is.
Factory farms are businesses just like mom and dad's 9 cow operation of years gone by, only on a scale 100x bigger.  Competition is good, it makes us all more effective and weeds out the weak.  Mom and Pop farms could not feed the world using the technology of yester-year; improvements must be made.  

Many of the improvements may bother your moral-ometer, but if you can produce your own food cheaper, cleaner, and better than you can buy it, you (and everyone else) would put the "big-guys" out of business.

If we were to believe all the things you read about the conditions/medicine/inhumane production of food, we should all be dead by now.

" I feel like chicken tonight"
Jimno
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]
PETA....

[b][i]sigh[/b][/i]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Animals have no rights.  Not even my dog, though I love her dearly.

Chickens are debeaked (actually, it's just the tip of the beak) to keep them from pecking each other to death.

I would agree that they live under less than ideal conditions and if I were a chicken farmer, I'd probably want to provide better living conditions than the average chicken factory, but when it's time to harvest them,  hey, they're going to die because I want my buffalo wings on Fridays and I'm GOING to have them!  Yum!

I think there is something to be said for the quality of the meat from animals that are raised under low stress conditions rather than force fed 24 hours a day in cages.   It DOES make for better product when when the animal lives a freer existence.

Has anybody else noticed that even bacon isn't as good these days as it was some years ago?

I tried some of those more expensive eggs from free ranging chickens, and they ARE better tasting than the regular 'egg factory' kind.

Yes, I would support the idea of treating food animals a little nicer,  in part because I'm not into being cruel to anything (except liberal democrats who piss and moan about the last elections!) and also in part because I like HIGH QUALITY animal products!  Like Kobe beef.  How much better can a steak be when the cow gets daily massages and is fed choice grains?  The cow likes it!   And I like the resulting steak!

However, I have no intention of boycotting any producer of animal products for human consumption.   I'm no Peta whacko.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I [b]LOVE[/b] animals. That is why I like to kill them!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#28]
heheheh, my sister works for the Humane Society.  Not the adoption one, the original research group.  She's into all this garbage too.  Don't know if she's a card-carrying PETA member, but she's a veg and all.

Like 3 Thanksgivings ago we were all at my Grandmother's for turkey (she had the salad).  I got there late and apparently there had been lots of pre-dinner conversation because my Dad looks at my sister, smiles and says, "Hey Ken, you know what KFC does to their chickens?"

"Makes 'em finger lickin good?"

My sister chimes in with her annoyed, "Noooo"  KFC can't call themselves Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore because what they sell isn't chicken.  It's genetically altered chicken to the point that it's not chicken anymore.  It's so cruel, chickens with breasts so big they can't walk upright!

I say, "Oh.  So the menus they have on the wall that say original recipe chicken or tasty crispy chicken are lies?  Damn!"

She wasn't amused.

I guess me and the GF are gonna get a bucket this weekend then.  I'll send the bill to my sister.  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#29]
The MOST NOBLE, ETHICAL, MORAL, HONORABLE MAN Who ever lived on this planet, ate meat, fish, and poultry!

As a matter of fact, He created the meat, fish, and poultry for [u]our[/u] benefit.

So don't tell me that it's all a matter of ethics!

Cause it ain't! It's simply a matter of some stupid people worshipping created things more than, or rather than, the Creator, Himself!

Eric The(Simple?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My sister chimes in with her annoyed, "Noooo"  KFC can't call themselves Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore because what they sell isn't chicken.  It's genetically altered chicken to the point that it's not chicken anymore.  It's so cruel, chickens with breasts so big they can't walk upright!

I say, "Oh.  So the menus they have on the wall that say original recipe chicken or tasty crispy chicken are lies?  Damn!"
[:D]
View Quote

Obvious Urban Legend. Send her this link.
[url]http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[:D]
View Quote

Obvious Urban Legend. Send her this link.
[url]http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.htm[/url]
View Quote

Damn, I forgot about snopes.  Thx BH
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I tried some of those more expensive eggs from free ranging chickens, and they ARE better tasting than the regular 'egg factory' kind.

View Quote

I can attest to that as in High School for my Ag. Bio Class we had to do a FFA project and becouse the farm slots were already all filled I raised chickens in my backyard. Those were the best damn eggs i ever had. We used to let em roam around the yard eating bugs and such so in essence they were free range chickens. Taste probly had more to do with what they were eating then with there "stress".
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#33]
It's the nature of our economic system, sadly enough. The profit margin pushes us to find more effective ways to meet the demands brought on us by our consumers.

I work in high end restaurants in the Napa Valley, north CA. The type of meat and eggs a few of you are describing is what we serve. Where I work, Catahoula(Cajun/southern with a big helping of California mixed in), we have Ribeye for 2 that is roasted in our wood fired brick oven. The Meat is callled "Meyer" ribeye. The cows are not given ANY sort of growth hormones or anitbodies, and are fed free range or on organic grains(grains that are not given any sort of chemical or genetic enhancement). Nor are they subjected to the production methods that the mass production beef houses use.

Let me tell you..this stuff tastes better than ANYTHING I have had before. It makes the mass production stuff look bland and flat tasting.
Drawback-cost=2x normal meat. Soo..we have to charge more for it.

There is a niche market for this sort of stuff, much like organic produce. SO all hope is not lost. It's just the masses won't pay for it for the most part, so...mass production will rule the day.

PETA is not a bad idea really-If they  used their heads and made realistic goals. Ex. like getting some of the true cruelity out of the meat packing industry(veal comes to mind), instead of being a bunch of stupid Vegeterian Nazis who are on a holy quest to save the world from the evils of meat eating humans. Bothering  and accosting hunters and runway models is not going to change much really.

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn iiiiiiit, someone just had to spew the "veal" crap again.  

WTF is wrong with veal?  They are older than chickens when killed.  They are not all raised in crates.  Regular beef/dairy calves are weened at birth too.  The antibiotics they are fed, if any, are not mainlined like you are lead to believe.  They are not given anymore hormones than would be in mother's milk.  Chickens and pigs will eat each other if given the choice.  They are cattle, just like steers, except they are lucky enough to keep their "pair".  

Yeah, we raised veal for 8 years.

Jimno
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I am switching to soylent green.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Mike the headless chicken fully supports the KFC boycott"

Don't let this happen to you"  "Chickens Unite Against KFC!"
[img]http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/headless_chicken/mike2.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top