Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 6:32:16 PM EDT
Can any of you Ohio guys comment???

PETA Attempt to mess up hunters -- backfires PETA Fails in Attempt to Thwart Hunters Assoc. Press  (Columbus, OH)
"If you are familiar with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), then you are aware of the fact they will almost anything to protect animals.  This year's efforts to save Ohio's deer from the annual statewide gun season has backfired.
"For safety's sake, hunters in Ohio are required by law to display at least 400 square inches of hunter's blaze orange on their person when in the woods.  Capitalizing on the fact tha hunters do not usually shoot orange, PETA recently bulk purchased blaze orange vests and have been affixing them to live-trapped deer in Youngstown suburbs.  According to PETA spokesperson Katie Reese, a total of 405 vests were successfully put into circulation prior to
this week, with additional specimens still being caught and vested.
"Youngstown entrepreneur Guy Lockey, of Guy's Outdoors has spit in the face of PETA by offering rewards for the returned vests this week. Hunters who can successfully bag a vested deer can pay $5 for random and biggest animal awards. As of Tuesday, 308 of the vests had already been recorded as bagged with most of the hunters registering for Mr. Lockey's
drawing. "It's so easy, you can see them coming a mile away" said one first year hunter after checking in his first spike buck. ODNR officials are worried that the poorly thought out plan by PETA might get somebody shot instead of saving the deer. "Hunters have turned their plan upside down, we're just hoping
that nobody gets hurt and are hoping that none of the vested animals get tangled in brush" said an unnamed ODNR official.  "PETA has really outdone itself this time." Ohio's statewide gun season is open to shotguns only and is scheduled to close on Saturday.

US troops deployed in Vietnam - anti-war protests start at the university of Michigen. Soviet astronaut Alexei Leonov makes the first space walk. Ray Dolby invents the Dolby sound recording system. Stephanie Kwolek discovers kevlar. Biggest power failure in history causes 9-hour blackout in eastern Canada and US, leading to surge in national birthrates 9 months later.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Now that was awfully nice of those peta types to help the local hunters  [;)]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=84427[/url]

Urban legend.  It didn't happen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah - youse from kailfornya fool but, I digress

Star Trek debuts on NBC. 64-year old Englishman Francis Chichester becomes the first person to circumnavigate the globe in a boat without a stop-over. Neil Armstrong and David Scott makes the first space docking in Gemini 8. Twiggy, at 17, becomes the world's most famous model.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

1965?  Was I supposed to add six days or subtract six days from the planned date to check the underside of the trashcan?z
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it didn't happen, but I had to get a bottle of Windex and a rag to clean all the sprayed Pepsi off my screen!  Hope the keyboard doesn't crap out from its fair share, too!

An excellent story.  The dumbasses at Peta just MIGHT try something like that.

I heard that some states are trying to outlaw the use of night vision equipment by hunters. Seems some of them are allegedly hunting at night and getting 'jacklight' type results without actually needing any lights at all.
I'm not sure I believe that.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I heard that some states are trying to outlaw the use of night vision equipment by hunters. Seems some of them are allegedly hunting at night and getting 'jacklight' type results without actually needing any lights at all.
I'm not sure I believe that.

CJ

View Quote

Don't most states have legal shooting hours?

Dr Martin Luther King assassinated. Scientist devise the epidural anaesthetic to ease pain of childbirth. Boeing 747 introduced. Roy Jacuzzi invent the whirlpool bath. Kodak launches the Instamatic. Bill Gates and Paul Allen use their first computer, an ASR-33 Teletype.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure they do.  Buy you know anti-gun politicians...they'll ban ANYTHING even if it's not used like they assert it is!

Way up north in Alaska, though, you may run into situations where it's within legal hunting hours and be fully dark, or have lots of light left and be out of those hours, either way.  It'd be even more interesting above the Arctic Circle.

Hunting allowed in daylight hours...three continuous months!

CJ
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can any of you Ohio guys comment???

PETA Attempt to mess up hunters -- backfires
View Quote

My brother works for ODNR in that district and he says this story is pure and unadulterated BS!
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Even PETA claims it is a hoax!
[url]www.peta.org/news/NewsItem.asp?id=582[/url]

[url]www.snopes2.com/inboxer/hoaxes/deervest.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Fox News reported it then retracted admitting that they had been had.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Gun season in Ohio was only the week after Thanksgiving.  I should know, I got soaking wet sitting in the rain, looking for a deer this year!  Primitive weapons and bow season are longer, but gun season is only for 6 days!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top