Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2002 3:23:54 PM EDT
I'm planning on getting my wife and I a color PDA. My wife will be using hers for her business. One of the uses will be a virtual color catalog she could show to her clients.
I will be using mine with the compatable magellian GPS add on, portable keyboard, camera, etc, I also want to be able to plug it into my cell phone so I could surf. I see Visor has all these compatable features but I'm not sure if these features are compatable with the color model they sell, or if this brand is good.
Let me just shorten this up a bit. You got the idea what we are going to do with them, now the question is, which one do you recommend and why.
Every sells person I've talked to doesn't have a clue, I even went into a computer store. [>:/]

Thanx
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a Palm M125.  I looked at the color ones, and the only ones that impressed me were the Pocket PC-OS units made by Compaq, or the HP Jornada.  They're REALLY nice, but I just couldn't see $700 for one.  I paid $200 for my Palm at Office Depot, and it does everything I need it to do.  I've already bought a couple of e-books to read on it, I can load and edit Word and Excel docs, and it has a really kick-ass planner app that comes with it to run on your desktop.

Good buy, IMHO.  If I didn't give a shit about $ I would have gone for the Jornada though.

QS
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Palm M505, for your wife, though I doubt you'll be happy with those apps in mind.  That's asking too for much from these little buggers at this time.  Try your question at http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/index.php, and read about Palm stuff here: www.palmgearhq.com
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a HP Jornada 547 a couple of weeks ago and love it. It will basically do all of the things that you require. You can also upgrade all of your hardware when it becomes available.

It's also very easy to work with and learn all of the programs.

Alex
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally have the Handspring Visor Neo (monochrome, expansion slot).  I would rec. a full feature model for your wife, but it sounds like you would be better served with multiple units (phone, palm, GPS....)rather than expect the palm to do it all.  You will find that all of those add-ons do not perform as well as any of the stand alone units.  I have heard the GPS is WAY to fragile (friends went that route, and regretted it) and you are better off just buying a good handheld GPS, more rugged, easier to use, etc.  For the camera, depends what you want it to do.  Digital cameras are getting really cheap, I am not sure I would waste the effort tinkering with the palm add-ons.  

For web surfing, I think the Handspring modem is designed just for a phone cord, but I could be wrong on that....

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I recieved a compaq ipaq #3765 for christmas and LOVE it.  Circuit city has them for $474 plus a $75 dollar rebate (a co-worker had just bought one 4 months earlier and paid $599 for his).  Use it for business, pocket excel is great, you can store "thousands" of names and notes, and you can exchange the data between you're laptop and pda (most of the pda's lose thier data if the battery dies, so you can download all the stored info back to you're pda from you're laptop).  Since I'm stupid with computers, picked up the "pocket pc's for dummies" book, which was a great help.  The compaq will do every thing you mentioned.  Keep in mind, if you "cruise" the net with you're pda via cell phone, it can be slow and expensive (you can buy a modem for which you plug into the phone jack and then dial up). The pda even has a built in voice recorder.  Still learning all of it's capabilities and it's amazing.  Stay away from the palms, no comparison. "Surf" the net for the compaq series and you can find all the add ons that you mentioned.  By the way, the gps unit for the compaq runs about $360, but it will litteraly "show" you were you at, where you want to go and give you directions on how to get there while your on the move (they've really come along way!)  Also keep in mind that you'll have to run a program on you main computer (which is idiot proof) to "syncronize" the the two units.  Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top