Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2004 10:55:29 AM EDT
I just got a home PC what are some good miltary type games that arent to complicated to play.
Link Posted: 3/21/2004 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield Vietnam (just released)
Call Of Duty
Medal Of Honor
Link Posted: 3/21/2004 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Battlefield 1942
Call Of Duty
Medal Of Honor
View Quote

Which of these are good for multiplayer online games?  I'm still playing Counterstrike, but it seems like the hackers are taking over, and I get frustrated more than I have fun.  I just want something I can play without worrying if the guy who just waxed me is cheating.
Link Posted: 3/21/2004 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
All are online multi-player. I prefer the Battlefield games. There's a little more skill involved an there are some good mods available for BF1942. (Desert Combat and Forgotten Hope are both good BF1942 mods) The other 2 are more like typical first-person shooter games, but still worth playing.

If you get the BF games (or any of the others), make sure you download the latest update patch from the game's official website. The latest official BF1942 patch has "Punkbuster" anti-cheat software in it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2004 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got battlefield Vietnam, havent tried yet.   For a good one go find a copy of VietCong, atleast download the demo, its good can go from simple to superhard.
Link Posted: 3/23/2004 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.americasarmy.com[/url]  Free game, free servers!  And it is a kick ass game too!  But it does require some teamwork to win some of the objectives, so some CS guys have a hard time at first.......
Link Posted: 3/23/2004 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Battlefield 1942
Call Of Duty
Medal Of Honor
View Quote

Which of these are good for multiplayer online games?  I'm still playing Counterstrike, but it seems like the hackers are taking over, and I get frustrated more than I have fun.  I just want something I can play without worrying if the guy who just waxed me is cheating.
View Quote

if you have steam installed go play day of defeat...

and dont call me a hax0r... im really that good :)
Link Posted: 3/24/2004 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Rainbow Six 3:Raven Shield.  Great graphics, good gameplay, an INCREDIBLE selection of weapons, and about as realistic as a FPS can get.  The reloading and mag changes all look real, it's cool.
Link Posted: 3/25/2004 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I would get Bf42 and download Desert Combat mod. The ability to drive vehicles, planes, choppers, and boats puts BF42(DC) ahead of the other games listed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2004 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I PLAY CS AND MY LITTLE COUSIN LOVES THE GAME THE ONLY THING IS HE IS 5 AND HE DOESNT HAVE THE REFLEXS NEEDED TO PLAY.tHE KEEPS GETTING KILLED AND HE CRIES LIKE A @ITCH WHEN HE DIES DOES ANYONE ONE WHERE I CAN GET AIMBOT OR SOMETHING TO HELP HIM WITH THE DEATH STREAK
Link Posted: 3/30/2004 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Americas Army
Link Posted: 3/31/2004 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I play DoD and CS, anyone who has steam add me to your friends list.  My name on there is Proteus
Link Posted: 3/31/2004 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
No one here plays Vietcong?
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I', still playing Delta Force Task Force Daggar.  It's pretty fun although its a pain when there are so many cheaters out there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#14]
ghost recon.  there are three expansion packs and lots of mods and maps to download.  watch for "full spectrum warrior" coming in a few months.
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I will second Americas Army, the most realistic and best shooter out there, dosent help that its free or anything. Plus I hear the next major update will have rag doll phyisics.
Link Posted: 4/3/2004 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Went out and bought Rainbow 6: Raven Shield the other day.... I probably wouldn't have if I'd have known the ordeal I would have to go through to get the multiplayer working.  I had to download 4 different patches!  And to top that off my punkbuster still won't work...
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok maybe I'm stupid or something. How do you start playing Americas Army. I have registered my account and went back and changed my password. Now I cant figure out how to start playing. According to the email instructions you click on change your personell jacket and then on training but there arent any live links on this page to do anything. Now that I have wasted 30 minutes of free time(which I almost never have)can somebody please tell me how to actaully start playing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
You need to open the game and got to training jacket.  Put you user name and pasword in and click login.

Then you will need to do your training, click on training in the game and the click deploy. You will need to complete several training missions before you can play on on the internet.

When you are finished training you can go to deploy, select your server, and play online.

Link Posted: 4/4/2004 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]
black hawk down/ and bhd team saber,,

best M/P i think,, good maps,,cheats,,one and off sometimes,, biggest probelm is lag when if yer on when all the euro's are,,,
all kinds of cool stuff,,bangs,smoke,,g36,3 diff m4's g3 saw 60,, you name it,, medics also,, so you just dont die everytime,,,, pretty real and ecnt flow for MP,,,,
go by prometheus,,if anyones ever one,,msotly play in the team havoc servers,,,,

protus
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok maybe I'm stupid or something. How do you start playing Americas Army. I have registered my account and went back and changed my password. Now I cant figure out how to start playing. According to the email instructions you click on change your personell jacket and then on training but there arent any live links on this page to do anything. Now that I have wasted 30 minutes of free time(which I almost never have)can somebody please tell me how to actaully start playing.
View Quote

You run the game, and log in...

Then you have to complete Basic Training (offline, you qualify with the M16 on a simulated Army rifle rang, get to practice with the M203, M249, & grenades. If you're a good enough shot in qualification, you can take sniper school to open up the M24 & M82) before you can play online
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the help guys. I am a dumb ass. I went to the AA website and registered and all that but I skipped the important step of actually downloading the game itself(duh). I thought you just played it right on the AA website. I'll stop asking stupid questions now.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/15/2004 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I PLAY CS AND MY LITTLE COUSIN LOVES THE GAME THE ONLY THING IS HE IS 5 AND HE DOESNT HAVE THE REFLEXS NEEDED TO PLAY.tHE KEEPS GETTING KILLED AND HE CRIES LIKE A @ITCH WHEN HE DIES DOES ANYONE ONE WHERE I CAN GET AIMBOT OR SOMETHING TO HELP HIM WITH THE DEATH STREAK

the best bots for CS are Podbot and Teambot...google 'em for the links.  The d/l the latest version of multibot launcher to run 'em with.  It allows you to pick the bot you want to use with each mod, configure the maps, etc.  Very handy.  

If you want to play Day of Defeat with bots, Sturmbot is about the best, but Brain of Combat (BoC) works as well.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I HIGHLY recommend grabbing Operation Flashpoint. The only way I can put it is it is as close to an "infantry simulator" a game has gotten yet! Only America's Army comes close to the realism in OPF. It's also real cheap as of late. I haven't checked the prices on it, but I'm sure it's at or below $20 dollars by now. Yet, despite it's age, if you turn the graphics up to full, it can still bring a high-end PC to its knees!

Background Story: It's the 1980's, and you are a soldier on a remote island chain, when all of a sudden, Russians start attacking. You work your way up from private in a ground-pounder platoon, to a leutenant in an M1A1 Abrams tank.

I'll stop pimping the game now.... <steps off soapbox>
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I was a Contributing Editor at PC Gamer magazine for three years and have written for countless other PC gaming mags since, including the late, lamented TotalWarfare.com. I've seen more military shooters than you can shake a stick at, if that's your idea of a good time, and the ones I most highly recommend are:

- Counter-Strike. Fast-paced & goal oriented. The single-player Deleted Scenes campaign in Condition Zero sucks donkey dick, complete with reprehensible "bosses" that can take a full M249 belt to the head and keep coming.
- Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror. A cheap imitation of Counter-Strike but it has its moments.
- America's Army. Free, yes, but only playable online and once you're dead you've got a long wait until the round's over. Maps tend to be on the dark and obscure side.
- Vietcong. Outstanding recreation of jungle warfare but suffers from some poorly scripted missions that prevent progress unless you're VERY lucky, patient or inordinately skillful.
-Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield. Not bad at all. Lots of ordnance to choose from with command options and teamwork essential for success.
- Novalogic's Delta Force series. Odd and unfocused except for the Black Hawk Down installment which is frantic, chaotic and intense. The Team Sabre add-on is a miserable misstep in the opposite direction. Team mates are mostly worthless and multiplayer is chaotic futility with little or no differentiation between friendly and enemy uniforms.
- Soldier Of Fortune. Interesting premise but descends into cartoon unreality with "boss monsters" that can withstand multiple rocket launcher rounds to the head. Abysmal.
- Ghost Recon. Rocked in its day but the video, even at the highest resolutions, was inexplicably grainy, and success -- as in Rainbow Six -- depends as much on critical command decicions as it does on individual actions.
- Medal Of Honor and Call of Duty. Both outstanding WWII shooters. Well scripted and intensely executed. Best of the bunch, WWII-wise.
- Battlefield 1942. Another massive online WWII shooter with no real Single Player campaign. The modern-day Desert Combat mod is out-frickin'-standing.
- Splinter Cell.  A huge, unfunny joke. Lots of sneaking around, using clumsy gadgets and NOT killing anyone. 9 out of 10 times your mission will be aborted by the suits in charge because you were detected by someone or something. A yawn and a half times a thousand.
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein. A bit dated and gets sidetracked with ridiculous supernatural elements (and frickin' ridiculous boss monsters) but still very solid entertainment.

If you like the Jerry Bruckheimer-ish flashy slickness of Grand Theft Auto but prefer a more Scorcese-like story and depth check out Mafia: City of Lost  Heaven, one of the best period shooters I've ever played. It's like GTA 1938 with weapons and modes of transportation of that era. Extremely nostalgiac if you're actually old enough to remember stuff like that. I've finished it four times and have started a fifth.

Now, if you want the latest, most beautiful and graphics intensive shooter on the market check out UbiSoft's Far Cry. Absolutely gorgeous with a wide range of ordnance, tactics and levels of AI effectiveness. Absolutely stunning in every way imaginable. That's two "absolutelys" in two sentences so you know I mean business. Check it out at: www.farcry.ubi.com/

Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Zuma, what do you think of Soldner: Secret Wars?  Ive been playing the beta for a few weeks now and I really like it.  I have played pretty much every game on your list except for the addons because my friends told me they sucked and I agree with you on every one.   Im playing Day of Defeat alot and I tend to like that more than Counter-Strike.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't any of you wimps play Unreal Tournament 2003 online?

I need some new blood.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Don't any of you wimps play Unreal Tournament 2003 online?

I need some new blood.

everyone  I know switched to 2k4
I just play on the office Lan.

at home I play doom2 via
Zdaemon.
it will run on practly anything
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Unreal, Doom, Elite Force -- anything that's just a mindless deathmatch free-for-all loses any and all appeal once you graduate to goal-oriented gaming. Spawn-point campers, grenade spammers and the like just drain the fun right out of online gaming when there's no reason to be playing other than a meaningless frag count. Besides, there's plenty of killing to be done while trying to achieve an actual objective, not to mention the benefit of co-operative and co-ordinated tactics with teammates. Unfortunately, there are hackers, cheaters and all-around fun-killers in any online environment and Counter-Strike and its counterparts are no exception.

mlebl34, I've not seen Soldner: Secret Wars but I can't recommend the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942 highly enough. It's got all the modern weaponry you could ask for, including Hummers, Harriers, Tomcats, Cobras and Apaches -- even a recently added silenced, scoped, desert camo painted version of everone's favorite black rifle -- and it's constantly being updated (and free!). There's even a Vietnam-era mod called Eve of Destruction for those who don't want to spend the money on a retail copy of Battlefield Vietnam.

Day of Defeat is a decent WWII Half-Life mod but all too often it tends to degenerate into a Nazi sniper-fest which seems more than a bit lame in an online game with none of the discipline or discomfort a real-life sniper experiences. Sitting in a comfy chair with a zoomed view, your finger hovering over a mouse button is just, in the parlance of today's gamers, gay.

Of course, that's just my opinion... but I happen to be right. HOOTIN4FUNCounter-Strike and Tactical Ops are the simplest online military shooters -- easy to learn but tough to master -- while The Sum of all Fears, a radically dumbed-down Rainbow Six for offline single player, with the recently released Counter-Strike: Condition Zero a compromise between them all. Aside from the shamefully awful "Deleted Scenes" single player mode CZ's got good, adjustable AI for on and offline play. Some really nice high-res models and map updates were added via Steam just last night.

P.S. If anyone's interested I can post my TotalWarfare.com reviews of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down and Mafia: City of Lost Heaven -- minus the screenshots -- here since TW's now kaput.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#31]
CANNOT STAND COUNTERSTRIKE!    But I say that mostly because of the community that surrounds the mod, I haven't played it for years due to so many negative experiences in such a wide variety of servers.    I also feel that the game play is extremely canned, round after round of "same 'ol shit" type game play.

But like I say, I come from a day when Counter Strike was actually quite new, bunny hopping was rampant, and that mod was about the hottest thing going.

THEN, came the Firearms Mod for Halflife, a game that allowed quite a bit more versatility and flexibility.    Even though I don't play the mod anymore I still whole heartedly support it.    I refuse to play the Sierra game of getting tons of unwanted shit installed on my system simply to update Halflife.   Really didn't want their stupid mods hogging space on my harddrive much less get to deal with "steam".      But I really like the objective based game play of Firearms Mod combined with skill bonuses for how well you do in the game, not to mention a WIDE variety of Firearms to choose from(hence the game's name).

Worth a look for anyone who has the Halflife CD yet hasn't tried all the mods.

Used to be a moderator at the Firearms Mod forums keeping control of the kiddies in the weapons section of that forum, gave it up so as I wouldn't have to always be the responsible minded one.

If it's a first person shooting game I've likely had it installed at one time or another.

Sometimes simple deathmatch is fun, sometimes the more tactical minded games are fun, but the ones that typically stay installed the longest are somewhere inbetween a "gamey" experience and one that has some resemblance of reality.

The Delta Force series used to be loads of fun, one of the first games that allowed for truely long range type shooting and tried to simulate balistics/trajectory/wind drift.    Loads of fun picking off people at a simulated 800-1k yards, the old Delta Force 2 game used to be great but by today's graphics standards it really almost hurts to look at.    The Delta Force "Land Warrior" game was an updated graphics engine with most of the same game play but it sucked that it lost it's grass.      Also, Novalogic seems to be rife with cheaters on their servers which means having to struggle to find a decent private server with admins that are devoted to banning cheaters.

Battlefield 1942 is a great game by it's own right, but like Zuma said, the modification for it "Desert Combat" really makes the game even better.     Kind of a steep learning curve for those who are used to playing first person shooters and not used to other games like flight sims, learning how to fly in the game and do it well is frustrating especially with the helicopters.   I've been trying to get my friend hooked but he has yet to have a good online gaming experience, he is basically getting thrown to the sharks due to his skill level being fairly low.     Nothing like a server with near 40 people on it with 20 people coming to capture a point you've just spawned at, he hates the idea of spawning only to die due to a massive wave in bound.     Though he has a good time when we play on a LAN and we can beat up on the computer AI, not to mention it's easy for him to hop a ride with me piloting.

Far Cry, I think I had the game installed for all of a week before I figured I'll never play it again.    Just didn't impress me much as far as game play was concerned, awesome graphics but not much more than that.     Maybe a great mod will come along for Far Cry.

The overly tactically minded games like Rainbow 6, Rogue Spear, and Operation Flashpoint just don't stay on my system for too long.

ilikelegs, my friend and I play UT2003 on a weekly basis.    Usually it's just he and I playing against like 8-10 AI bots with the setting on "skillful".     I can send you an email next time we are playing and let you know the IP if you are interested.

We also play Rise of Nations and Command & Conquer Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge from time to time as well.     This weekend he and I will probably be gaming on the LAN when he comes home for a visit.

I've got UT2004 as well, pretty cool expansion, can't wait for some decent mods for it to make use of the vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Day of Defeat is a decent WWII Half-Life mod but all too often it tends to degenerate into a Nazi sniper-fest which seems more than a bit lame in an online game with none of the discipline or discomfort a real-life sniper experiences. Sitting in a comfy chair with a zoomed view, your finger hovering over a mouse button is just, in the parlance of today's gamers, gay.

Uh, speaking of which, have you gone by the Desert Combat forums lately to see what type of rediculousness gets suggested in their forums?     The fog limit within the game makes maximum distance a person can shoot to maybe 600-800 yards tops and the kiddies who choose to play sniper are complaining that they are getting killed by the regular combat classes.   So their suggestions are to limit the ranges to which other firearms are accurate/lethal based upon the fact that they thing they should be invincible sitting on the fringe of the map with their stupid sniper rifle.     The fact that their tactics suck and they camp in one spot long enough to be discovered then shot full of holes never enters their minds, nope it's the fact that "sniper rifles are weak".

I post as squirrelhunter over on the DC forums while trying to keep the reality check in line.   Plus it's fun posting pictures of the guns I own to taunt the european posters into a frenzy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I think they do have something of a point in DC.  With a M16, PKM, or even easier, a VSS I can hit snipers as easily and as far as they can hit me.  With a .50 cal, forget it. I get in a nice spot in Lost Village and the only way you will kill me is if you manage to sneak up around the back.  Coming from anywhere in front of me, you will be dead before I get in your vision.

It is funny in-game when guys start talking about guns.  The stories they tell crack me up.  Havent been to the DC forums in a while. I used to play in leagues but after 6 odd years of weekly matches I got kind of burned out. Now I mostly just pub in DC under the alias "Pink_Steel" and don't wear my clan tags in case I want to tell someone to "bite me".
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Worst enemy to the sniper in BF1942 or Desert Combat are the servers who have "death cam" turned on and the servers who don't turn off the name tag settings for whenever the crosshairs scan over an enemy or even friendly unit.

Shooting through total fog is completely possible simply by seeing a set of name tags suddenly appear out of the fog.

Good server settings are as much a part of a gamer being able to actually play the role of sniper, as it is the gun representations placed into the game.

But truth be told, we all know that in real life a SAW or an M16 can infact lay a hurting on things out to 600-800 yards provided the person knows where the enemy is and can fire off a couple shots from a good solid position.   Yeah, maybe there are some guns that are poorly represented in the game but if the engine could support slightly more realistic balistics we wouldn't have these problems with laser beam type rifles.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Most servers I have played on don't use the death cam but all have used the name tag settings.  To be honest I have grown so used to it that I never really thought of it being turned off. I used to see it turned off more in BF42 than in DC.  Used to play on some sniper only BF42 servers. After that, sniping on DC is so easy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#36]
For thoes who play BF42 and BFV this plase runs some Bichin servers www.wolfgaming.net we have team speak server admins who kick Team Killers and such please take a look i post as the_redstar_swl

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I gave away my computer the other day.  I had just got in Share the pain for Postal 2, never installed it though.

Postal 2 is good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Get call of duty i play it non stop.... if you do check out our clan page www.d1eclan.com!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top