Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 6:15:35 PM EDT
Up until now I've only used write once DVDs. I am trying to back up to a DVD and need to format the disc first.

How long does it take to format a DVD?

Elapsed time on mine says 1hr 19 min and still going.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
On CD-RW's, there is a "quick format" that just wipes out a few areas to make the disk look blank again.  Not sure if this is an option for the first time on a DVD-RW, nor whether it would work on subsequent reuses.  (If you have a 16X drive, it's only going to take eight minutes anyway, no big deal.)

Looks like quick-format should be available for DVD's too;  Pioneer started putting it in their drives in 2002:
www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,93643,00.asp

Disclaimer: I just got a DVD burner last week, but with my computer's motherboard frying itself, I haven't been able to try recording anything with it yet.  Got to watch all of Babylon 5 season 1 before the board caught on fire. . . .
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply!

I was familiar with the process for CD RW. My experience is similar to yours. I do have to do a full format on CD RW on the first use. I can then do a "quick format" on subsequent uses.

With the DVD; there was no quick format or erase option on the initial format. After about an hour and a half of letting it do its thing, I wound up shutting down the process. Then I got an error to the effect that the blank was damaged. I rebooted and tried to format again and the quick format option was available. Sailed through in about 3 minutes.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I just started playing with my new DVD burner this week, and used a new DVD+RW disk today.  I was building a new movie disk with some converted media I downloaded, and Nero did a quick format (took less than a min) and started burning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top