Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 6:15:35 PM EDT
Up until now I've only used write once DVDs. I am trying to back up to a DVD and need to format the disc first.

How long does it take to format a DVD?

Elapsed time on mine says 1hr 19 min and still going.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:53:06 PM EDT
On CD-RW's, there is a "quick format" that just wipes out a few areas to make the disk look blank again.  Not sure if this is an option for the first time on a DVD-RW, nor whether it would work on subsequent reuses.  (If you have a 16X drive, it's only going to take eight minutes anyway, no big deal.)

Looks like quick-format should be available for DVD's too;  Pioneer started putting it in their drives in 2002:
www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,93643,00.asp

Disclaimer: I just got a DVD burner last week, but with my computer's motherboard frying itself, I haven't been able to try recording anything with it yet.  Got to watch all of Babylon 5 season 1 before the board caught on fire. . . .
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:25:27 PM EDT
Thanks for the reply!

I was familiar with the process for CD RW. My experience is similar to yours. I do have to do a full format on CD RW on the first use. I can then do a "quick format" on subsequent uses.

With the DVD; there was no quick format or erase option on the initial format. After about an hour and a half of letting it do its thing, I wound up shutting down the process. Then I got an error to the effect that the blank was damaged. I rebooted and tried to format again and the quick format option was available. Sailed through in about 3 minutes.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:45:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:57:19 AM EDT
I just started playing with my new DVD burner this week, and used a new DVD+RW disk today.  I was building a new movie disk with some converted media I downloaded, and Nero did a quick format (took less than a min) and started burning.
Top Top