ETA  link

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, the same engine was used in the 2nd generation "phase 1" Cavalier Z24 ('93 or '94 started "phase 2" with the 3.1L engine) .....so you might want to check out the forums over at  www.v6z24.com

I might be wrong, but it looks almost exactly like the 2.8 in my old '89 Z24
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
gallery.thevboard.com/showpic.php?dispsize=Original&album=yelloov&pic=Engine.jpg

Thats what I thought was the PCV valve, but I took it apart and there is no way that the valve will fit in that part of the rocker arm cover!

According to Beetlebailey's post of the schematics from autozone, it looks to be in back of the engine!  Tell me if I am wrong!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, just got a response from someone on another board.  He says this:

"this is a fun one! it is in the valve cover in the center Between the fire wall and intake plenum. you will have to rotate the engine forward by removing the front motor mounts,maybe even the altenator, be careful not to damage the moulded rubber hose that connects to the manifiold/Pcv valve"

In other words, its behind the engine.  Anyone know how to rotate engines?  Prybar?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, here is Chilton's directions on engine rotation:

Put in neutral
remove air cleaner assembly and coolant recovery
unfasten torque strut to engine bracket bolts and swing struts aside
replace passenger side strut bolt in bracket
position pry bar in bracket  so that it contacts bracket and bolt
rotate engine by pulling forward on prybar
align slave hole in driver side torque strut  bracket bolt
retain engine in this position using strut bolt
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
gallery.thevboard.com/showpic.php?dispsize=Original&album=yelloov&pic=Engine.jpg

Thats what I thought was the PCV valve, but I took it apart and there is no way that the valve will fit in that part of the rocker arm cover!

According to Beetlebailey's post of the schematics from autozone, it looks to be in back of the engine!  Tell me if I am wrong!

I guess its in the back valve cover. I would think you could get it without taking the front motor mount loose. You should be able to get to it by removing the top intake plenum. I hated those old GM V6's. They were a bitch to do plugs on but you could do it. Should be able to get to the PCV valve as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The funny thing is, in the Chilton's manual on replacing a PCV valve, this is all they say:

-remove valve from grommet in valve (rocker arm) cover
-disconnect valve from breather hose

WTF? Why didnt they tell me I had to rotate engine!?!?!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess its in the back valve cover. I would think you could get it without taking the front motor mount loose. You should be able to get to it by removing the top intake plenum. I hated those old GM V6's. They were a bitch to do plugs on but you could do it. Should be able to get to the PCV valve as well.

Boy I sure hope you are right.  Ill have to look at it again tomorrow, but to tell you the truth there aint much room back there to move around....as you already mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah there sure isn't much room back there but I have changed plugs on them tons of times. I would imagine the PCV valve would be easier to get to than the plugs but it has been years since I have worked on one. You'll be sure to cut up your hands and arms
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, here is your answer from a guy that works on them everyday for a living.......  I don't see many of those critters anymore due to the fact they are getting old and don't visit the dealers much anymore.

YES, it's in the back valve cover.

NO, you don't have to remove the plenum to get it out.

YES, it's kind of an SOB, but it can be done without a lot of cussing.

Here we go......

Take the 4 retaining screws for the air filter cover loose.  You don't have to take the filter out nor do you have to take the hose off the throttle body.  Just take the 4 screws loose so the lid is loose and will be able to flop around a bit.

Remove the engine side upper motor mount bolts from each upper mount.  LOOSEN the other bots on each upper "dog bone mount", you don't have to take them out.

Get yourself a small "tie down" or "Ratchet strap".  connect it from the engine mount located near the P/S pump to a sturdy location on the upper radiator core support. (You will be using the strap to pull the engine forward to give yourself some more room).

Block a wheel so that the vehicle can't roll when put into neutral. (Yes, it's a real PITA when you put i tin neutral and it goes rolling over your foot and running away).  Put the vehicle in neutral and then pull the engine forward with the strap.   You should be able to get a good few inches of space to help yourself.

From the under side of the plenum, there is a pipe that goes from the center to the rear.  On the end of that pipe is a pre-formed rubber hose or elbow.  The hose will start heading backward and then turn down very abruptly.  On the down side end of that hose is the PCV.  One half of the PCV is in the valve cover and the other half is stuck into the hose.

Remove the PCV, replace, and then let the engine flop back.   Put the bolts back in the mounts BEFORE you put the car back in park.  Tighten the mounts, put it in park, and re-attach the air filter cover.

Have fun  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Rift  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top