Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:51:56 AM EDT
Hi, my name is ShakenNotStirred, and I still have a tube TV set.  I've been a tube-viewer since I was a baby, but now, I am admitting my problem, and am looking for help and support to break my tube addiction.

But seriously, my wife and I are concerned about PCS-ing overseas with a new LCD or Plasma TV.  Has anyone else done so, and can we expect our new set to conk out on us when it arrives from shipment with the Army's movers?  What about HHG claims if the movers bust it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 24" LCD TV in transit from my last post to my HoR now.  I'll let you know how it turned out when it gets here.  I shipped it in the original packaging so i am not that worried.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was overseas and was looking at the tvs in the PX, there was a notice concerning PCSing and Plasma systems.  Basically said to retain all original packaging and make note of it when you went to your transportation briefing as Plasma systems required specialized handling.    Most people advised LCD for ease of transport.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
if you buy a flat panel tv keep the original box tmo will want to move it in that, if not they will make a crate for it. have moved 3 times with the tv now and no issues.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a projector and don't ever look back.   I've had one in my last two houses, the kids love it.   Yes we also have a few other smaller TV's for news and viewing but the big family show is the 8 foot screen.

Your going across the pond on the next move aren't ya? ETA: (duh, need to read the whole thing)

Electronic stuff gets marked MCU, mechanical condition unknown.   They also claim they are not responsible for vibration damage, wait till you move and buy it there if it's going to be a big ticket item.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Electronic stuff gets marked MCU, mechanical condition unknown.   They also claim they are not responsible for vibration damage, wait till you move and buy it there if it's going to be a big ticket item.

This

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep all the orignal material and pack it yourself the way it was unpacked and you will be set. I packed my 24in from Korea to LV and it was fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I was flat-out told at my TMO briefing a month ago that the military will not move plasmas.  Apparently, you can't lay them on their side at all, so if you have one and it stops working, you'll just get a heartfelt "sorry."
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was flat-out told at my TMO briefing a month ago that the military will not move plasmas.  Apparently, you can't lay them on their side at all, so if you have one and it stops working, you'll just get a heartfelt "sorry."

your TMO folks were lazy or full of shit... I work with TMO

the BX sells hard locking cases for the Plasmas, I suggest those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top