Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2002 3:51:21 AM EDT
[url=http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/0802/07peanuts.html]
[b]It's no joke! Cobb school bans peanuts[/b][/url]

The classic childhood lunch, a PB&J on white bread, will be confiscated on sight this year at one of Cobb County's elementary schools.

So will peanut butter crackers and cookies, peanut butter cups and anything else containing Georgia's top-selling homegrown snack.

The ban on all things goober is no joke. Several children entering Smyrna's Nickajack Elementary School this year have allergies so severe they are life-threatening, said new Principal Constance Carter. Some people are so allergic that even breathing peanut dust can trigger a reaction.

Carter banned peanut products from the campus, including bake sales and bag lunches carried in by children.

The action is unusual but not unheard of. King Springs Elementary School, also in Smyrna, banned peanut products for similar reasons last year. Teachers and a few schools nationwide have done the same thing for children with severe allergies.

Petra White, a Nickajack mom of two girls, thinks most parents will sympathize.

"It's not like they have to have a peanut butter sandwich three times a week," she said. "I don't have a problem keeping peanuts out of their lunches."

The habit may be hard for other parents to break. Peanut butter is a staple for fussy children and a standby in the lunchroom.

Cafeteria workers rely on it for field trip bags because it's portable protein.

"Peanut butter really is a standard," Carter said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh great, now preban peanut butter.[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:01:20 AM EDT
[#2]

If notfor peanut butter my kidwould have starved to death in school. He would not eat anything the cafeteria served, except for corndogs or chicken strips.

How much longer until the people tell places like this to kiss off? Is it time for Scotty to beam us up??? fullclip
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Peanut dust? I hope they keep that school real clean if those kids are that sensitive. Someone is going to get kick out for smuggling a PBJ.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Strange how we humans ate peanuts for millennia before this "peanut allergy" suddenly arose.
I don't recall hearing of this condition prior to, say, 10 years ago...
View Quote

My wife just developed the allergy to peanuts.

Hey, better ban condoms from schools.  Latex is now a common allergy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
..and the masses shall bend over for the few.
View Quote

Heaven forbid the one allergic kid out of 700 should wear a respirator or something, why that would single them out for the "bullies" to make fun of....
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Why is there wide spread allergic reaction to peanuts all of a sudden. It didn't seem to be a problem a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if preban threaded peanut butter jars will be grandfathered or will they just confiscate them???? It's for the children
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#13]
BULLSHIT!  Show me the medical evidence that [b]"Several children entering Smyrna's Nickajack Elementary School this year have allergies so severe they are life-threatening, said new Principal Constance Carter. Some people are so allergic that even breathing peanut dust can trigger a reaction"[/b]

Come on...I want their physicians to tell the world that this stupid assertion is based in fact.  THAT isn't likely to happen any time soon...'cause I think it's all a lie.

What a silly load of cow pies!  If this severe allergy problem among children is true, WHY has it not manifested itself before now...Hmmmmm?  Come on folks!  Kids have been eating PB&J for decades and only recently have the Food Police begun this silly attack.

The Food Police are out after your PB&J sammiches kids!

Hey...you know what?  I'll bet this babe...this Ms Constance Carter, is a flaming liberal with a cause around every corner...and she's probably married to an ambulance chasing, scum sucking, bottom feeding, ACLU-card-carrying, litigant who's about to file a huge class action suit against the peanut industry.

I say again to those weenies...show me the evidence.  Until then...BULL PUCKY!  It's all a scam.

[pissed]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
He may be 'George Washington Carver' to you, but he's 'Adolph Eichmann' to us, wheezed a group of young headfulls of mush!

So, I suppose that it's about time we all admitted to ourselves that this 'last great hope of mankind', this 'shining city of light set upon on a hill', this 'nation so conceived and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal', has failed.

Whatever the Founding Fathers thought that they had created so long ago, has since failed.

And that failure is not the result of some national calamity as they may have feared, it has not fallen to a foreign foe, it has not even fallen from civil insurrection.

It has fallen because the children have simply not learned the lessons that have been handed down to them. They have refused to do their homework. They scoff at the very idea that those tiresome dead white males had anything of worth or merit to teach them.

So the dullards who didn't pay any attention in civics class and history class in school, are now running the education system.

It is the revenge of the idiots.

Eric The(Disgusted)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
If these people are that allergic to something common and can't stay away from it, they weren't meant to survive.  Next do we forbid people from showering or washing their clothes because some people are allergic to fragrances in soaps, shampoos and detergents?

Of course, the logical extension of this nonsense is charging kids who smuggle peanut products onto campus with attempted murder.

Now the most serious problem with letting these people live is that they'll grow up and become adults who demand special priviledges because they're genetically defective.  Imagine this policy being put into place where you work because one freak claims it as a disability.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#18]
In addition, the Cobb County school district has banned the ownership of peanut butter by anyone who has a child attending a school in the district, it was reported today. Constance Carter the principal of Smyrna's Nickajack Elementary School stated "Since some children are so allergic to peanut butter, including severe allergies to peanut dust, we are dedicated to making our school a 'Peanut Free Zone'". She then continued "Random searches of the homes of students will be conducted by the BATFPB (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Peanut Butter). Anyone found having peanut butter, Resses’s peanut butter cups, Resses’s Pieces, or loose peanuts will be charged with a Class A Felony". Remember, we are doing it for the children.

Yes, I’m joking…
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow...this is the county my children go to school in...and this is all my little girl likes for lunch!  this SUCKS.  I would like to see them try and take my daughters PB&J.  I have never seen dust come from a peanut butter jar..how about you?.  My daughter can ask the kids next to her if they are allergic to peanuts...if not, then she will eat with those students.  If so, then the student can move or my daughter can move.  This is no laughing matter!  

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe they are only talking about A-SALTed peanuts.  [:)]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#21]
So what are the consequences for bringing PB to school?  Are they really going to deprive a child of education simply because he/she wants peanut butter?  How is that different from having, maybe, a special class in a cleanroom for allergic children?

Does this also mean I can't bring my favorite barn cat to show and tell (my niece named him Peanut Butter)?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#22]
AP-Paris: French spies intercepted information about a deadly peanut butter bioweapon and immediately intensified surrender negotiations with the state of Georgia.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Once again you see the Minority trying to rule and control the masses.  I have lived in Cobb county since 78.  I have seen many changes in this area, as well as all of Georgia. I hate to say this but it's true, Constance Carter is a Black American.  She and many others in her leadership role have formed a very strong coalition to fight prejudice in every form...and they live by the moto: Minority MUST BE HEARD(and OBEYED).  The problem with most y black societies in Georgia is that they have left the racial issues behind(because most dont exist any more) and have gone on to any issue they can use to keep their organizations alive and running.  I see it everyday...I can almost gaurantee this is what's going on here....A Black American Woman still fighting for minority rights under the old, ALL or Nothing routine...no compromises, even if compromise is possible and makes more sense.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Dusty Peanut Butter?

I hate when that happens!

Usually, a spritz of Lemon fresh Pledge on an old t-shirt will take care of that!

IF those residents allow her to get away with that!  What a crock!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#25]
no more biology classes using latex gloves. science classes use rubber gloves.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oh great, now preban peanut butter.[rolleyes]

View Quote

so will they charge less for the Post Ban Peanut Butter?  will it be called PBPB&J?

why not but the special peoples in special ED where they belong!  freaking retards!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#27]
now we need "Peanut" and "Non-Peanut" sections on the lunch room.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Actually, the story is quite incorrect. The school is setting up a separate dining area for the peanut allergic.

Now, some moron parent will probably sue for the child being ostracized and made to feel different. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#29]
tellem. ostrisized or dead. sign this waiver and we will let your kid eat with the peanut eatin kids.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
now we need "Peanut" and "Non-Peanut" sections on the lunch room.
View Quote

sounds similar to the "black side" and "white side" of the class room, and school bus to me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Two words:   Bubble Boy

If they are that allergic, they should be walking around in bubble suits.  Sooner or later, they will accidentally get some peanut on them and die.

They have also banned peanuts from most airlines.  They only have nasty snacks now.

"The needs of the few or the one outweigh the needs of the many."
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#32]
You ignorant insensitive bastards.

There is NO government conspiracy here to deny you peanut butter !

I happen to have a niece that is allergic to several foods, including peanuts. I have seen all the things that my sister has to go thru regarding this. Preparing special foods, always being aware of what foods she comes in contact with, and always carrying special medicine with you in case she needs it.  

No one is trying to BAN peanut butter. They are simply trying to prevent certain kids from ALWAYS being sick (or worse) because of a foods allowed at school.

Some of you people need to take off the tin foil hats and stop being so damned paranoid.

[stick]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I happen to have a niece that is allergic to several foods, including peanuts. I have seen all the things that my sister has to go thru regarding this. Preparing special foods, always being aware of what foods she comes in contact with, and always carrying special medicine with you in case she needs it.  

No one is trying to BAN peanut butter. They are simply trying to prevent certain kids from ALWAYS being sick (or worse) because of a foods allowed at school.

Some of you people need to take off the tin foil hats and stop being so damned paranoid.

[stick]
View Quote

We aren't wearing any tinfoil hats, we're pointing out where the tendancy to go with the LCD will lead.  

Call the Handicapper General!  They are going about this all wrong.  They need to develop something to make all childern equally at risk of the deadly peanut.  

May I suggest an explosive collar (5 wraps of det cord should be sufficient) with a highly sensitive peanut sniffer.  One whiff of the deadly peanut and BLAM!  Instant sensivity!

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#34]
If my kid was sensitive to "peanut" dust I think the first thing I would do is move to another state.  Isn't Georgia a major peanut producing state?  Has to be a lot of peanut dust in the air.  I would have to call bullshit on the dust sensitivity.  Maybe if they stick their head in the storage bin on a peanut farm.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#35]
223-Buckaroo,  

You know...you are way out of line here.  The issue is not that we are insensative, it is that you and you niece are.  Look man, I am blind in one eye and have been since I was a young child.  I dont ask the rest of the world to walk on my left side so I can see everyone. I have limitations. I know what they are.  I dont accept them all the time and I try to fight back occasionally but the truth always comes out, I am blind in one eye and its not the rest of the worlds fault.  Your niece has the problem not us. She needs to stay away from peanuts, not us.  She needs to do everything in her power to make sure that happens, NOT US. Now if she is locked in a elevator for days on end with only a bag of peanuts and some insensitive jerk is asked by her to please put the peanuts away, well then I would side with her. But until that happens she can just make adjustments in her livelyhood, rather than asking the rest of the world to accomodate her.
[;d]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you a rocket scientist?

Quoted:

View Quote

No shit, Sherlock.  Who said there was?  We are pointing this out as another example of over-reaction of the Nanny State.

Quoted:

I happen to have a niece that is allergic to several foods, including peanuts.
View Quote

So what?  I have a wife that is allergic to peanuts, and almost all antibiotics.  She code-blued off vacomyician.  You don't see me calling for bans or drug free areas.

Why does the general public have to pay for the needs of a single individual?  One school kid doesn't like god, and there goes the national pledge.  There is NO END to the meddling these do-gooders will enforce if we continue to cave to them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
223-Buckaroo,  

You know...you are way out of line here.  The issue is not that we are insensative, it is that you and you niece are.  Look man, I am blind in one eye and have been since I was a young child.  I dont ask the rest of the world to walk on my left side so I can see everyone. I have limitations. I know what they are.  I dont accept them all the time and I try to fight back occasionally but the truth always comes out, I am blind in one eye and its not the rest of the worlds fault.  Your niece has the problem not us. She needs to stay away from peanuts, not us.  She needs to do everything in her power to make sure that happens, NOT US. Now if she is locked in a elevator for days on end with only a bag of peanuts and some insensitive jerk is asked by her to please put the peanuts away, well then I would side with her. But until that happens she can just make adjustments in her livelyhood, rather than asking the rest of the world to accomodate her.
[;d]
View Quote

OK... I agree that the rest of the world doesn't have to accomodate individuals. But last time I checked, children are REQUIRED BY LAW to attend school. Some parents can home school, but some can't. Therefore if children are required to attend a public facility, shouldn't that facility be rendered safe for them?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
if children are required to attend a public facility, shouldn't that facility be rendered safe for them?
View Quote

Okay, I can agree in principle.

How are you going to do it?

We makes schools Gun Free zones, AKA Killing Zones.

Going to ban painting the school?  Harmful fumes, some kid might get sick.

How about cleaning solutions?  Floor wax, scissors, etc.....?

Where does it end?  

If a kid can't sit next to someone eating a PBJ, it's too risky for that kid to be out in public in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you a rocket scientist?
View Quote

I'm not, but I play one on TV.  

Quoted:

View Quote

No shit, Sherlock.  Who said there was?  We are pointing this out as another example of over-reaction of the Nanny State.
View Quote

You would all sue the state if YOUR child was harmed in some way at PUBLIC school facility.

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
223-Buckaroo,  

[;d]
View Quote

OK... I agree that the rest of the world doesn't have to accomodate individuals. But last time I checked, children are REQUIRED BY LAW to attend school. Some parents can home school, but some can't. Therefore if children are required to attend a public facility, shouldn't that facility be rendered safe for them?
View Quote

So, if another kid comes to school with a bag of peanuts and they suspend him, how is that not forcing him to violate the law about attending school?  Over a bunch of fu**ing nuts!!!  More kids are allergic to plain old dust and pollen.  How are we going to accomodate them?  What about kids who are allergic to bees?  Put up "No Bees Allowed" signs?  Shit, I'm allergic to work but no one seems to care.  We cannot accomodate every ailment (or perceived ailment).  
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Strange how we humans ate peanuts for millennia before this "peanut allergy" suddenly arose.
I don't recall hearing of this condition prior to, say, 10 years ago...

--snip--

It does make one wonder what other common items will be found to be potentially toxic and lethal allergens, and subsequently banned.
View Quote

Yeah, no shit.  So these little kids are learning that just by being weak, the whole world will bend to their will and accomodate them.  That is bullshit.  I mean, if a kid is allergic to peanuts, then he should learn to deal with the world instead of forcing everyone else to do what he wants.  Put the allergic kids outside or something.   Have them eat somewhere else, but don't teach them that by whining about an allergy, the whole world will change!

By the way, a couple years ago, the FAA banned peanuts on airplanes for the same reason as this school.  That's why they give you pretzels and shit and not peanuts anymore.

This is kind of like those people who tell you they are allergic to cigarettes.  They never existed until it became cool to persecute smokers.  Now they are crawling out of the woodwork like termites!  They don't have the guts to actually tell people that they are too much of a prissy bitch and can't be within 30 feet of a cigarette so they say, "I'm allergic!"  And you know what?  I think those people really do talk themselves into having a psychosomatic reaction.  I don't even smoke anymore, but I can still recognize liberal weaklings when I see them!

-Nick Viejo
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So, if another kid comes to school with a bag of peanuts and they suspend him, how is that not forcing him to violate the law about attending school?  Over a bunch of fu**ing nuts!!!  More kids are allergic to plain old dust and pollen.  How are we going to accomodate them?  What about kids who are allergic to bees?  Put up "No Bees Allowed" signs?  Shit, I'm allergic to work but no one seems to care.  We cannot accomodate every ailment (or perceived ailment).  
View Quote

Dust and Pollen are allergens, but they are typically not the fatal variety. Some children could be allergic to the point that sitting next to someone eating peanuts WOULD cause them to be very sick or possibly die. Now, most children that severe would have the necessary medicines available. But it's unnecessary to put them at that risk.

Let's look at this hypothetically:  If you feed someone poison and they die from it, you are responsible for their death. Your actions directly caused it.  Now, if you know someone is allergic to peanuts, and you plop down beside them with a big ol' bag of them and they get sick, you are responsible. Your actions caused it.

Look, it just seems like everyone on this board reacted in a way to this story that is out of character. When a story about a child being abducted is posted, every body starts screaming about what type of monsters these people are for hurting innocent children and what they would do them if they found them. Then this story comes out about peanut allergies, and the attitude is "screw 'em". There are posts here where people want to paint the walls with peanut butter, spray the allergic kids with Peanut butter etc. etc.

Doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#43]
"Why the sudden reaction to peanuts?"

Simple.

Geneticly modified foods.

Eat a few bowls of your favorite cereal. You may find yourself on the toilet with really bad poo.
Most companies will NOT answer you questions in regards to this, or give you a clear answer...period.
This a is HUGE problem that is kept quite.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Had an interesting conversation with a pediatrician this week. My wife and I are getting ready to go to China to adopt our first child. And he said that a lot of those kids don't show any allergic reactions until after they come to the states. The reason is that when they are over there, their bodies are to busy fighting off parasitic and bacterial infections to deal with alergies. But once they are cleared of all the other problems they then start showing allergies.

My guess, and that is what this is, is that as we have emilinated more and more diseases and parasites our bodies now have the capacity to be allergic to certain things. I am not saying this is the case. But is a logical if what the doctor said is true.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Once again you see the Minority trying to rule and control the masses.  I have lived in Cobb county since 78.  I have seen many changes in this area, as well as all of Georgia. I hate to say this but it's true, Constance Carter is a Black American.  She and many others in her leadership role have formed a very strong coalition to fight prejudice in every form...and they live by the moto: Minority MUST BE HEARD(and OBEYED).  The problem with most y black societies in Georgia is that they have left the racial issues behind(because most dont exist any more) and have gone on to any issue they can use to keep their organizations alive and running.  I see it everyday...I can almost gaurantee this is what's going on here....A Black American Woman still fighting for minority rights under the old, ALL or Nothing routine...no compromises, even if compromise is possible and makes more sense.
View Quote

[red][b][size=4]HAH...I KNEW IT![/size=4][/red][/b]

What did I say about her being a flaming liberal with a cause around every corner!

OK...here's what I'd do if'n I lived in Cobb County:  I'd go find me one of them concerned conservative  bottom feeders...er...attorneys (Larry Klayman are you listening?) and I'd take that woman and all her cronies to court.  I just wonder how much her junk science crapola would stand up under the blistering examination of a skilled advocate?

I'd bet that them kids would be eating PB&J sammiches again real soon.  Best part is...maybe that would shut that crusading moron up!

I just go nuts when the education system losers start acting like they are a branch of guvmint.  Give them a smidge of power and it just goes to their head.

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#47]
ASSAULT NUTS!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#48]
My step-cousin is allergic to almost every grain in existence.  He can't eat any kind of bread or bread-type food, peanut butter, plus he's allergic to all dairy products.  Maybe the degrading gene pool (and I do mean that literally, because everytime a person dies, at least half their DNA is lost) is causing genetic mutations resulting in severe allergies to common things.  The end might come to us all through as stupid a thing as being allergic to food.  Scary thought ain't it.

If I were living in Cobb County I'd send my kid (if'n I had one of course) to school everyday with a gigantic, super thick-spread peanut butter sandwich just to piss off the fuckers in the school system.  Teachers truly are the lowest of our society, sad.

Edited to say:  223-Buckaroo, fuck your neice.  I'm allergic to tree pollen, therefore, no more fucking trees.  I don't give a shit if others like trees, and they are good for the health of the planet, I'm allergic so they all have to be destroyed.  What I just wrote makes as much sense as [b]other[/b] parents having to plan their children's lives around one kid who is in the minority.  She has the problem.  She needs to avoid peanuts.  That's her and her parents' responsibility.  Get used to fucking life dweeb.  I'm tired of cry-baby little shitstains expecting others to modify their G-D lives to make them happy, or safe.  It sounds to me like your little precious neice's parents need to find a way to get around her disability without interferring with the lives of everybody else.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Actually, the story is quite incorrect. The school is setting up a separate dining area for the peanut allergic.

Now, some moron parent will probably sue for the child being ostracized and made to feel different. [rolleyes]
View Quote
Actually, the story is not incorrect.  The principal actually started the ban and the school board changed it to a seperate dining area.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why is there wide spread allergic reaction to peanuts all of a sudden. It didn't seem to be a problem a few years ago.
View Quote

exactly, notice that several airlines pulled them off planes too? (thats the reason I was told)

[rolleyes]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top